Local VOIP? - Question for Mr Gates - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: In Hamma we trust.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Local VOIP? - Question for Mr Gates

Will there be a location base VOIP for players? For example, the ability to talk to players who are within 20m of you?

I understand that this represents a huge technical challenge in tracking player locations and using that data to dynamically add/remove players from a local channel.

Is it even possible?
Old 2012-07-21, 12:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Re: Local VOIP? - Question for Mr Gates

I'd love that.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

ArmA2 does this, IIRC, so it's far from impossible. But I'm not sure if it has a place in Planetside 2.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

I will turn it off.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
ArmA2 does this, IIRC, so it's far from impossible. But I'm not sure if it has a place in Planetside 2.
No place in Planetside 2? I'd say planetside needs it more than most. The ability to quickly convey tactical information to those around you is critical IMO. You are going to be working with more people than just your squad-mates.

While I am aware that other games have done it, PS2 and Forgelight are a completely new animal and it's not fair to assume anything based on what other games have done.

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
I will turn it off.
And you should have that option. Along with selective muting of the I-need-attention-Timmy!'s of the world, which adds a whole other layer of complexity to the feature.

Last edited by The Degenatron; 2012-07-21 at 12:41 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Stardouser
Colonel

I think we need some way of identifying people who are speaking by a change in the color of their friendly identifier marker that's always over their head. That way if they spam we can selectively mute. Turning it completely off just because sometimes there will be abusers is a kneejerk reaction, and frankly, I think people who have it turned off should also be identified by a change in appearance of the friendly identifier over their head. That way, when I try to yell a warning to someone in another outfit or squad and he dies because he was globally muting, I can let him know I tried to save him.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Comet
First Sergeant

Maybe there should be a local chat channel for every contestable space? Or put them in small groups?

If I am flying over head with a squadron of liberator's and reavers, it'd be nice to communicate with the ground forces we roll up on so we can co-ordinate our attack on the fly instead of taking 5 minutes to get everyone setup into squads.

I can see how this would be annoying though too if people were always popping in and out of a local channel =/ All the more reason to join a large outfit
Old 2012-07-21, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Troika
Private

I remember Higby mentioning that they are at least experimenting with different VOIP channels and local channel is one possibility. I can't remember which interview it was though, but it caught my attention as I think it really worked well in DayZ/ArmaII.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jeepo
Corporal

Would be great to have it. We use it at Tactical Gamer in both ArmA and Project Reality (using the great mumble program) its pretty essential once you start working with other squads. You speak and work of them but can't talk directly otherwise.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nemises
Sergeant

yeah, it would be very very excellent to have local / 3d positional voice channel...

It made such a massive difference when used in project reality using mumble/murmer... being able to locate a person from their voice audio source really added a HUGE amount of immersion...

I noticed there is a /y channel for text chat, which I believe is a locational based text channel..so..the precedent is there..
Old 2012-07-21, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
atheistunicycle
Private

I'll be playing the bard class in PS2, for sure.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Littleman
First Lieutenant

I'm all for this, but it has to be push-to-talk only. I don't think anyone cares to have that one moron running around where every gunshot blasting from their speakers accompanied by the most god-awful incoherent "music" the world has ever known can be heard wherever they go. Granted, I should be able to selectively mute their ass even if they find a way to have that key permanently pressed, but at least these guys will have to go through the effort. That's a deterrent in itself.

Otherwise, being able to relay tactical info to anyone nearby would be a boon, and any sorry schmuck that would mute me for it can eat the boomer I was trying to warn them about.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

I love the concept... but the douchebags are a plenty, sadly. It will be TeamSpeak for me. VoIP will probably never be used :P
Old 2012-07-21, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shizora
Private

I love the idea!
Old 2012-07-21, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
TechTBW
Private

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
Will there be a location base VOIP for players? For example, the ability to talk to players who are within 20m of you?

I understand that this represents a huge technical challenge in tracking player locations and using that data to dynamically add/remove players from a local channel.

Is it even possible?
Higby on in game VOIP:

"It will automatically create channels for vehicles you're in, squads, outfits (based on outfit permissions of who can use it) and (possibly) proximal chat for near by allies etc. We're putting a lot of effort into our voip solution. "
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion