Becoming Disappointed. - Page 9 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hack the planet!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #121
Aurmanite
Captain

Re: Becoming Disappointed.

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
I can tell you one thing that is going to be brought up very quickly after launch. And I am flogging a dead horse I know and I don't want to get into another lengthy discussion about it but the lack of win condition will be a hot topic. How quickly they can come up with a solution for it will determine the game's shelf life. Basically it's a race to more than 3 conts and at least giving a cont win. Mark my words. I'll bow out of this thread cause it always ends up badly. Speed up the game to attract players who have been used to "winning" for years and lacking a clear solution to that will be paramount to resolve quickly.
Capturing a base is a win condition.

There were no real win conditions in Planetside. Locking a continent meant that you had to wait an hour (or more) for another decent fight to get going. Those were the most tedious and boring parts of the game.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #122
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post

There were no real win conditions in Planetside. Locking a continent meant that you had to wait an hour (or more) for another decent fight to get going. Those were the most tedious and boring parts of the game.
^ This

Old 2012-06-06, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #123
Zekeen
Major

I'm sure they'll figure something out on the scale of continent locking without the problem with it at some point. In the meantime, we can just go keep shooting at each other till the sun goes down and the moon comes up and back again!
Old 2012-06-06, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #124
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

You people are so transparent.

You're just bitching about the exact same stuff you've BEEN bitching about since you first learned about them. Do the rest of us a favor and stfu. Seriously the "I'm surprised drivers are their own gunners!" act is idiotic.
Old 2012-06-06, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #125
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I digress , the flow of battle from continent to continent in the early days of the lattice made the game refreshing. I remember one or 2 members of my outfit logging on and saying, ''ffs, not cyssor again! fuck this, I'm off to play something else''
It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out , and how long 3 continents can pacify people .I know techically most of the time in ps1 the reality was fighting was only on 1 or 2 continents , but you always had the opportunity to look for greener grass elsewhere.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #126
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

On the other hand, the continents don't have a set tileset and characteristics. So even on the continent itself you will find lots of variety. So now you might find a flow of battle from region to region
Old 2012-06-06, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #127
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
I digress , the flow of battle from continent to continent in the early days of the lattice made the game refreshing. I remember one or 2 members of my outfit logging on and saying, ''ffs, not cyssor again! fuck this, I'm off to play something else''
It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out , and how long 3 continents can pacify people .I know techically most of the time in ps1 the reality was fighting was only on 1 or 2 continents , but you always had the opportunity to look for greener grass elsewhere.
Most of this was caused by the number of people playing the game. There just weren't enough.

For a short time (relatively speaking), it wasn't uncommon to have 3 large battles poplocking 3 continents, and a number of smaller skirmishes spread across the rest. Unfortunately when populations started to dip it became "cyssor again", which was actually my favorite continent. There was only one real good battle on the go. This was problem that intensified when one side would eventually "win" and the fight would be over.

I actually dig the Sanctuary and lattice, but I think what they're trying to do in #2 will actually play out better.
Old 2012-06-06, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #128
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I still think each empire should have their own continent, having 3 land holds is, imo, a bit much.

Increasing the size of the land hold's shield would cut down on the possibility of surrounding and "blockading" it. And it would also help solve the over crowding potential with everyone logging into the same base.

It would also give a sense of accomplishment for battling across an enemies continent rather then more or less neutral territory.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #129
Troscus
Corporal

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Yeah especially with this Ritalin infested generation that has the attention span of a retarded monkey in heat.
Jesus, does ANYONE born in the 80's have anything to do with their time other than bash anyone under 21? Off topic, I know, but I've been running into this crap everywhere.
Old 2012-06-06, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #130
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Troscus View Post
Jesus, does ANYONE born in the 80's have anything to do with their time other than bash anyone under 21? Off topic, I know, but I've been running into this crap everywhere.
I know I sure don't... anything under the age of 24 should be viewed with suspicion, and anyone under the age of 21 is a child.

I also have an irrational hatred of children.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #131
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Name 2 things that are dumbed down. Support your arguments.

In reality, almost everything is more complex, honed, and refined.

Enter/exit animations are nifty, but they are hardly core principles of the game.
1: You do not have to put any thought into your vehicle and how you use it besides which weapon you want, no teamwork in tanks, no supply management, no stopping to hop out, repair, and grab more glue out of the trunk that you put there just in case, all of this while your gunner keeps an eye out so you have time to hop back in because now you magically teleport into and out of everything, your vehicle has infinite ammo, you can shoot everything and even switch to the small weapon freely to pretend that thing is useful, and the tank even repairs itself.

2: Providing ammunition to allies is just throwing down your magical ass-pack of ammunition that provides ammo for every weapon, even rockets that are larger than the damn thing.

In reality it's an extra shiny Battlefield with the playercount increased significantly, as well as glorified timers for everything via the resources.

Last edited by dsi; 2012-06-07 at 12:02 AM.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #132
Burnzblood
Corporal

If you don't like what you see, get out of our community.

Game looks great! Cant wait to get that beta going!
Old 2012-06-07, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #133
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I still think each empire should have their own continent, having 3 land holds is, imo, a bit much.
This.

Footholds on every continent will be too much I think...There's no reason you couldn't have a home continent with the foothold and just remove the continent locking...None that I can see anyway.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #134
Synapse
First Sergeant

Tbh I believe the answer to this lies somewhere in the outfit construction work they intend for the far future.

Higby talks about havign people build their own outposts and their own bases...where are they going to build that? Not on the already crowded handcrafted continents existing today.

My bet is there will be new territory for that system, which will bring new mechanics and a better "conquer more than just bases" gameplay.
Old 2012-06-07, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #135
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Synapse View Post
Tbh I believe the answer to this lies somewhere in the outfit construction work they intend for the far future.

Higby talks about havign people build their own outposts and their own bases...where are they going to build that? Not on the already crowded handcrafted continents existing today.

My bet is there will be new territory for that system, which will bring new mechanics and a better "conquer more than just bases" gameplay.
While that may make for a neat feature in the future. It doesn't really address what I am talking about.

Unrelated: Its also very funny to see the usual suspects replying with out reading anything, and making assumptions in their head, and then attacking those assumptions. And obviously, I, am the troll.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion