Less tanks due to the bugs - I love it!! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We be off da heezy!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Re: Less tanks due to the bugs - I love it!!

A hotfix is going up for the misfiring vehicle weapons as I type.
Old 2013-02-03, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
A hotfix is going up for the misfiring vehicle weapons as I type.
Then the best day of planetside will soon be over.... enjoy it while it lasts!
Old 2013-02-03, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bunk
Corporal

I've experienced the same thing on Lithcorp. Was pretty fun actually
Old 2013-02-03, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
DhrRob
Private

It was 'fun' for a change, but I'm glad it's fixed.
Old 2013-02-03, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Plissket
Private

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
All i know is that yesterday My prowler went one on one with a Magrider and since ever since i remember My Prowler took the fight. For the first time I found magriders running away from me. I guess they don't like fair fights.
I encounter a prowler today, went from 2/3rds health to zero in 3 seconds, I think tank vs tank isn't an option anymore. At the crown they rolled Prowlers up, I used a turret to try and attack one, but the things barely took a scratch with three direct hits, and then it noticed me...

Was sort of pleased when it crashed a few minutes later, the tank part of the combat really sucks now for me. Its gone from the mag feeling like the best due to the sideways movement and nothing else, to the mag feeling like light tank best used to farm infantry. They don't do balance the gradual way :P
Old 2013-02-03, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
While a giant footzerg can be fun, it's going to get boring quickly. The game has become less strategic and more based on numbers due to those changes. To each their own though.
You were saying Swarm Tanks On Point For Great Farming was strategic?
Old 2013-02-04, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
That's all it ever was for any side. Why anyone would think infantry zergs on infantry zergs would get boring quick when the old alternative was tanks sitting on a hill shooting at tanks sitting on a far hill is what boggles me.

Infantry zergs > tank zergs. I'd prefer true mixed arms, but the balance of power favors tanks too much for that to happen right now.
Old 2013-02-04, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
That's all it ever was for any side. Why anyone would think infantry zergs on infantry zergs would get boring quick when the old alternative was tanks sitting on a hill shooting at tanks sitting on a far hill is what boggles me.

Infantry zergs > tank zergs. I'd prefer true mixed arms, but the balance of power favors tanks too much for that to happen right now.
Infantry on Infantry zergs is all that the Crown is, and it's incredibly boring to fight there. It's the same thing, over and over. It's not even Battlefield, it's CoD with a bunch of people who rush at one point. There's no strategy, thinking, or skill involved in the massive infantry fights. Throw in the rendering issues with infantry and it's really boring to sit at an infantry fight for hours on end because there's no armor to break up the monotonous combat. Maybe I'm one of the few who dislike the Crown fights? They're awful certs, the same combat, and no thinking required. Charge, get a couple kills, die. The end. Like I said, if that's what you prefer then the game is great for you.

To me, there should be more strategy required in Planetside. Anyone who thinks tanks were too strong against Infantry make me wonder what they were doing. Tanks were great at farming bases that were already outnumbered, but they were no good in the large fights. With this last patch they were no good for small fights or large fights. I generally play solo/duo and I have no issues taking out tank zergs as infantry. If I'm outnumbered by tanks then sure, I die, but I would die if they weren't in tanks too. When I'm in a tank and approaching a large fight I may as well just get out, because I'm going to die to lock-on rockets in any fight with more than 15 people.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but forcing the fights to strictly infantry does nothing but greatly diminish the skill ceiling of the game. All there were in fights over the weekend were Liberators and massive infantry zergs, and while the new additions to the game were fun the lack of strategy was really evident to me.

If you were losing to tank swarms you were either outnumbered or you and your teammates had no coordination. 4 heavies can kill tanks one by one, 4 tanks in ~20 seconds. That's not including c4, tank mines, other vehicles, phalanx turrets, etc etc etc. Sorry, but I'm a firm believer that if you die to tank swarms you were going to lose the fight even if they were all on Flash's.

Last edited by Assist; 2013-02-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Figment
Lieutenant General

Assist, I'd rather have strong endurance teamwork tanks with actual good driving and gunning going on, than massively spammed low endurance, quick repaired, solo tanks.

But SOE refuses to admit that solo-MBTs are a thing for small multiplayers rather than MMOFPS games. They've taken the teamwork out of tanks and replaced it by team number spam.

Dedicated drivers still remain a much better alternative to solo-MBTs as a design concept. But as long as solo-MBTs are here at this power level, we're not going to see any decent change in that area.
Old 2013-02-04, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Badjuju
First Sergeant

Assist, I'd rather have strong endurance teamwork tanks with actual good driving and gunning going on, than massively spammed low endurance, quick repaired, solo tanks.

But SOE refuses to admit that solo-MBTs are a thing for small multiplayers rather than MMOFPS games. They've taken the teamwork out of tanks and replaced it by team number spam.

Dedicated drivers still remain a much better alternative to solo-MBTs as a design concept. But as long as solo-MBTs are here at this power level, we're not going to see any decent change in that area.
The cert system is highly to blame as well. I too would like too see less tanks which are much more heavily armored. Again, another area where they should have learned from ps1.

Last edited by Badjuju; 2013-02-04 at 09:07 AM.
Old 2013-02-04, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
The cert system is highly to blame as well.
Naturally.

Unrestricted access to everything leads to spam instead of selection.
Old 2013-02-04, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Yeah... and the crown is not really a good example for infantry zergs because it's always the same fight and the defenders have a very straight advantage. I hate fighting at the crown too, I don't get why there is always something going on. The infantry zerg fight I was talking about was really awesome and the front was constantly moving and evolving, it was fun. There were no tanks who spammed the battlefield and lead to frustration and the feeling of being powerless against them, everyone was on an even ground. It was just good fighting. A swarm of tanks does not add any real strategy to the game except "we need more heavy assault and/or tanks!".
Old 2013-02-04, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Stellarthief
Corporal

Even with the lag from patch, it was nice to have so few tanks about. Some worked for some people so it at least wasn't 0 tanks. But was nice.

Bring this back as a special day No tanks, no ESF.. Call it day of zerg and give us double xp for infantry kills
Old 2013-02-04, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mietz
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
The cert system is highly to blame as well. I too would like too see less tanks which are much more heavily armored. Again, another area where they should have learned from ps1.
We've said that since beta, they will never change this.

All you can hope for is a 3rd class of tank with a 3 man crew that will work like the Liberator and will still be spammed (even worse, on rotation).

The cert and class system will not change.
Old 2013-02-04, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
Infantry on Infantry zergs is all that the Crown is, and it's incredibly boring to fight there. It's the same thing, over and over. It's not even Battlefield, it's CoD with a bunch of people who rush at one point. There's no strategy, thinking, or skill involved in the massive infantry fights. Throw in the rendering issues with infantry and it's really boring to sit at an infantry fight for hours on end because there's no armor to break up the monotonous combat. Maybe I'm one of the few who dislike the Crown fights? They're awful certs, the same combat, and no thinking required. Charge, get a couple kills, die. The end. Like I said, if that's what you prefer then the game is great for you.

To me, there should be more strategy required in Planetside. Anyone who thinks tanks were too strong against Infantry make me wonder what they were doing. Tanks were great at farming bases that were already outnumbered, but they were no good in the large fights. With this last patch they were no good for small fights or large fights. I generally play solo/duo and I have no issues taking out tank zergs as infantry. If I'm outnumbered by tanks then sure, I die, but I would die if they weren't in tanks too. When I'm in a tank and approaching a large fight I may as well just get out, because I'm going to die to lock-on rockets in any fight with more than 15 people.

I guess I'm in the minority here, but forcing the fights to strictly infantry does nothing but greatly diminish the skill ceiling of the game. All there were in fights over the weekend were Liberators and massive infantry zergs, and while the new additions to the game were fun the lack of strategy was really evident to me.
It's like people only ever think of the worst possible scenarios ever.

The Crown is a nightmare because it's highly defensible and goes no where. Open field combat is different. The goal is to push forward, hill by hill and rock by rock. Sunderers were inching forward as ground was taken. It was a completely different experience.

As for lack of tanks... not sure how tanks lobbing shells at another zerg of tanks is so much more fun than a zerg of infantry zerging more infantry. The former distinctly shells from a distance, or no one bothers to even put up a defense against them. The latter was how field battles should play out, ebb and flow wise. Since tanks got fixed, we're back to what we had before: tank zergs pounding a location and the defense having little they can do about it. Can't man the towers and walls, that's where they're putting the shells, and once the enemy infantry is inside the base, you know it's a matter of time before the generators go down and the tanks come rolling in. Oh yes... tactics are TOTALLY a reality with tank spam.

Also, learn to drive. Never been killed by annihilators.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion