ADS view movement (the scope "lagging" behind) in PS2 vs BF3 (short video) - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It just feels good.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-02-03, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
SturmovikDrakon
First Sergeant

Re: ADS view movement (the scope "lagging" behind) in PS2 vs BF3 (short video)

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Well I didn't bring ARMA into this, SturmovikDrakon did.

"PS2 takes it way overboard IMO, compared to ARMA2 and even BF3"

If he thinks that PS2s aiming is anything like ARMA 2 then he doesn't play ARMA 2. It's part of the sim-ish things PS2 does. In PS2 bullets fire from the gun and it needs to be the thing that moves to affect and show recoil, movement affecting aim, high COF from near explosions, and more or less anything that affects aiming ADS or by hip. In BF bullets come out of the screen and don't take the gun into account, that makes it an arcade shooter.

Watch some videos on BF3 and you'll see that even though the guns move all over the place when the player moves it never affects the bullets path. It's also the reason you can fire over top of cover in BF3 with just the top of your head exposed and not your weapon.

PS2 isn't just another arcade FPS that everyone has been forced to play for the last few years. It combines sim and arcade elements to make itself its own game. That's why I love it. The game makes you think that you're in a war and not an ungodly trooper. You need to play as a human who is getting shot and killed in the unknown hell that is war. Become better or die. Learn from the deaths and take your time to make the right choice.

Then again Iv played Day Z for near 300 hours since I learned about it and am more than likely biased in ways to the sim parts. Me putting 300 hours into one game is to fucking huge for me to get a grasp of when I don't put more than 20 in most other games.
I mentioned ARMA completely offhandedly. Your weapon doesn't drag behind when you're standing still in a sim, why should it do that here?

I don't consider it a good balancing act (also this feels completely wrong to anyone who has held a rifle before), there are many more ways to balance CQC without impairing the aim of the player. People have already mentioned ways to balancing it in the Reddit thread

Besides this is also one of the major reasons people use IRNV scope over anything else in close combat, because it completely negates the rules by which other scopes behave since it's just a static image.

Leave it the way it is and people will continue picking IRNV over anything else

Last edited by SturmovikDrakon; 2013-02-03 at 06:49 PM.
Old 2013-02-03, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by SturmovikDrakon View Post
I mentioned ARMA completely offhandedly. Your weapon doesn't drag behind when you're standing still in a sim, why should it do that here?

I don't consider it a good balancing act (also this feels completely wrong to anyone who has held a rifle before), there are many more ways to balance CQC without impairing the aim of the player. People have already mentioned ways to balancing it in the Reddit thread

Besides this is also one of the major reasons people use IRNV scope over anything else in close combat, because it completely negates the rules by which other scopes behave since it's just a static image.

Leave it the way it is and people will continue picking IRNV over anything else
A weapon does drag when you move around if standing still in a sim. In ARMA you even have to drag your body when you aim about. It causes stutters, jumps and can even block movement altogether if you don't have the space around you to turn (walking through a door can be a problem if you don't look dead front). Thing is in sims people never snap to a target or twitch around like a mad man shooting everything around them because of the weapon an body dragging let alone the sim physics.

PS2 has some of the weapon physics of a sim but none for the body. In short you're not in control of a floating gun, you're in control of the person holding the gun without the body getting in the way. Part sim, part arcade.

In fact I think IRNV as an exploit to the gun physics. Even if I use it my self on my shotgun, it feels wrong to be able to ignore so much of what every other person around me has to account for. It feels like using the IRNV puts me in a closed room without anything around me. It gives the tunnel vision needed, but at the cost of the gun acting like no other gun in the game minus snipers and vehicles.

Also I have held real weapons before. I was one hell of a shot on clay pigeons and damn near mastered both BB handguns and rifles as well as any slingshot I got my hands on in my early years. I was taught to aim with both eyes and slowly squeezes the trigger. Not spaz around. Two things where hammered into my skull with any firearm. First is to see the target, aim, then fire. The 2nd is learn to control the weapon, don't let weapon control you.
Old 2013-02-03, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rolfski
Major

This is exactly the reason most of the experienced players use the NV scope.
Old 2013-02-04, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Agreed. I'd like to see it fall in line with BF3. The actaully FPS mechanics in that game were as close to perfect as I've seen.
Old 2013-02-04, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
In a game where we have jetpacks, unlimited sprint, and no pron, ...
Oh on the contrary, I'm quite sure there's a lot of people with an extensive pron collection they run simultaneously to PS2 due to all the fwapping going on during spawncamping.
Old 2013-02-04, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
hashish
Sergeant

I agree with OP too much lag !! Also it gets inredibly annoying when jumping or walking on uneven terrain such as rocks..

Hope SOE fixes this game, right now its soooo broken its a joke !
Old 2013-02-04, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
VR Draco
Private

Originally Posted by hashish View Post
I agree with OP too much lag !! Also it gets inredibly annoying when jumping or walking on uneven terrain such as rocks..

Hope SOE fixes this game, right now its soooo broken its a joke !
Ever tried to jump with a real scoped weapon?

I agree to the normal movement when standing still, that is too heavy, but if you JUMP scoped it has to react like this.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion