*Single character Vs Multiple character - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you can't handle eMa's jelly.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-22, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Intruder
First Sergeant

*Single character Vs Multiple character

I have been running an RPG group for about 14 years now, and the age old argument always crops up, thought I'd share some of the more invigorating responses I have had through the years.

*Single character Vs Multiple character.

Single Character Pro's

*Your character is like a part of you, more characters means you split yourself up more and as such will be unable to give the due attention your characters require

* your character is like a pet, the others will be either neglected or unloved if you have more than one.

*Having multiple character is like having multiple personalities, you can only have them if your crazy!

Multiple Pro's

* Playing a character is all about experiencing something we could not or have a very low chance of experiencing in real life, the more characters the more roles, and aspects we can experience.

*The more the merrier, you can get bored of one character, but if you have more than one it elongates the experience and re-playability

Love to hear some of the reasons why people play Single or Multiple players.

The second one he was in his skeeter
Old 2003-06-22, 10:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MilitantB0B
Colonel

My play style is a hybrid of the two. I have one main character that I play about 75% of the time and 2 other charcters that I play every once in a while. I love being an infiltrator, but sometimes I like not beein dead as soon as I am noticed. Thats whay I have a grunt and and a sniper character as well, that way I get the most of what I like the best, and some of what I like a little, (And none of what I like the least, stupid MAXs ).
Old 2003-06-22, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
SumYungGui
Staff Sergeant

this entire debate is the reason I won't touch the EQ-in-space Star Wars Galaxies. it's fine if others want one character per server, just so long as I have the chance to play the way I want which is multiple characters. I can't stand single character nazism with absolutely no concern for what other people want.
Old 2003-06-23, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Intruder
First Sergeant

Originally posted by SumYungGui
this entire debate is the reason I won't touch the EQ-in-space Star Wars Galaxies. it's fine if others want one character per server, just so long as I have the chance to play the way I want which is multiple characters. I can't stand single character nazism with absolutely no concern for what other people want.

Huh? ok I think you need to reread the post, this is by no way a "Debate" for either Single or Multi, it is more a discussion on reasons why you like whichever one.

I like hearing other peoples opinions, call me wierd but its something that I enjoy, just like theology and other peoples views on that. (another of my passions)

I appologize if you get the wrong idea

The second one he was in his skeeter

Last edited by Intruder; 2003-06-23 at 12:05 AM.
Old 2003-06-23, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Seer
Major

Well, to be fair, saying 'if someone wants to have one character per server, let them' is a little like saying, 'if someone advocates higher taxes, why don't they just use the part of the form that donates money to the government and leave me be'--it doesn't work like that. It's missing the point.

Anyway, we get 4 characters in Planetside, and it's very easy to get to BR10 or so, at which point your character is fairly useful in whatever role they play. So I have an infantryman, which I play the most, a vehicle driver, which I play the second most, and a max character, which I play the least. Why not? Sometimes I'm in the mood for something different, and sometimes my outfit or squad requires something different.
Old 2003-06-23, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
BigFreak
Sergeant Major

Yea, I got my main character which I play the most, which is a grunt, then a stealther, which I play at off peak times, when hardly anyone's on, so I can still make some decent XP soloing (offensive stealther > defensive stealther)
Old 2003-06-23, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
BigDickMccoy
Corporal

I have 2 currently, Pilot and Ground Pounder. After these 2 max out I will do a MAX and a Tanker/Unit Cmdr. Muiltiple Chars are fun....But my Pounder will always be my fav
Old 2003-06-23, 04:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hertston
Corporal

Intruder,

First up, I was an obsessive pen and paper RPGer for many years, so I see where you are coming from. Oddly, the computer MMRPGs bore me absolutely rigid.

But... I'm not sure whether your pros and cons really apply to PS though. Mainly because it isn't an RPG, it's a shooter.

There is no real affinity or affection for any character... it's all about collecting BR and CR for more cert points, implants and (to be honest) bragging rights. If you want to change into something completely different (say uber-grunt into infil/hack/scout) you can, although it might take a few days to "forget" the certs.

There are several PS specific reasons for multiple characters. First, it allows an instant change of roles if you don't have cert points for everything. Sometimes your outfit might need it (no Gal pilot in the squad ? Re-log as one), or sometimes you might just fancy the change.

I have three, on different servers and different factions. I play Werner/Vanu most of the time, but it's fun to play the other factions on occasion - and it's useful to be able to do so whenever "balance" issues crop up - you can judge for yourself.
Old 2003-06-23, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tryndamere
Sergeant

Super ditto.

Nice post.
Old 2003-06-23, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

When playing an RPG, I usually develop one character at a time. It doesn't really equate out to PS tho because it is less about developing a character and more about having the cert sets that allow you to play in the way you want.

During Beta, when experience flowed like water, I usually had 3 characters going at a time. Now that it is easier to wait 3 days and swap certs out than to level a second character, I stick with 1 per server.
Old 2003-06-23, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Agathon
Sergeant

Yep

Hello,

I don't see much roleplaying in PS, but then I didn't expect to either. However, I like the idea of multiple characters in PS because it allows me to have different specialty characters. My main is a support class with advanced med, combat engineer, medium assault (god how I love my Gauss rifle), AMS, and reinforced armor. Then I have a stealther with advanced hacking, infiltrator suit, and engineering (soon to be combat engineering). My last character I actually play is going to be a heavy assault guy with at least one max and then reinforced armor, medium assault, heavy assault, and special assault.

In regards to SW:G, I'm looking forward to it actually. I like the idea of only one character on the game, and I see it as a good way to encourage people to maintain good reputations, make more people work together, and keep people focused. Besides, with all the points you get, you apparently can master three entire chains of skills with one character. When you can do that, who needs multiple characters? The only thing multiple characters would get you then would be a different name. I'll be on that game as Agathon, and I think I'll be playing a Human doctor.

;-)
Old 2003-06-23, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SumYungGui
Staff Sergeant

I used the term debate because that what it was (or at least, that's what the more polite parts of it were) over in SWG. then the Devs over there came totally out of the blue and said 'our way or the highway, one character, take it, like it, or else'. I should apologize, more than likely some of my anger at that leaked over into this post. to this day I still get relatively angry whenever someone tells me that I should play their way and like it. while you weren't telling me that, my past hatred of single character environment convinced me you were.

I always thought UO handled the single/multi character thing perfectly. if you wanted single characters, play on siege perilous and have a blast doing what you want, while I play on atlantic (down with pacific, rawr!) with my multiple characters and neither of us need to be bothered with each other again.
Old 2003-06-23, 04:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ajohn505
Sergeant

Originally posted by SumYungGui
I always thought UO handled the single/multi character thing perfectly. if you wanted single characters, play on siege perilous and have a blast doing what you want, while I play on atlantic (down with pacific, rawr!) with my multiple characters and neither of us need to be bothered with each other again.
Still off topic.

I'm a single-char man myself, though I can see the draw to having multiple. I stay with one char for the same reasons Intruder pointed out, I feel like my character is part of me.

Eventually I may create more... probably as the situation dictates. ie. if I need a galaxy, I'll just log out, create a char and cert him in gal.
"I am angry that so many of the sons of the powerful and well-placed... managed to wrangle slots in Reserve and National Guard units...Of the many tragedies of Vietnam, this raw class discrimination strikes me as the most damaging to the ideal that all Americans are created equal and owe equal allegiance to their country."

-Colin Powell�s autobiography, My American Journey, p. 148
Old 2003-06-23, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Drunken Chicken
Private

I usually have multiple characters going, although many of the ones I have on servers are simply test monkeys to try out empire specific items (Lancer, Striker, etc.) or expensive certs (HA and Reaver).

Since I have little to no attention span, I jump between three or four characters. The three that get the most attention are my Terran grunt, NC MAX guy, and Vanu Mag driver.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion