Spitfires - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Provided by: Al Gore, and the Internet.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-10-07, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
theknits
Private

Re: Spitfires

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Correct, with many ways to do it. Giving game-play options is always a good thing to retain more players then normal. Something that equals massive in the end.
The more ways you add the more things for people to grumble about (this post being a good example). I cant even think of a game that didn't have features in it that detracted more than they added.

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
There's a whole bunch of games out there where you can "shoot people".
Yeah. This however is the only one with a persistent world and 3 factions.
Old 2012-10-07, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by theknits View Post
The more ways you add the more things for people to grumble about, which should result in the appropriate counters that players control added to the game.
Added a point to your post that should be said.
Old 2012-10-08, 01:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Yeah. This however is the only one with a persistent world and 3 factions.
so what. We've all done the "shoot people" thing before. Want something more.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-10-08 at 01:40 AM.
Old 2012-10-08, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Raka Maru
Major

Dangerous minefields, tripwire turrets, electronic warfare... Things that make you use your head before moving. More depth, the better.
Old 2012-10-08, 05:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Traak
Colonel

I have spent most of the nine years of PS with laggy, slow, non-optimal connections or computers. I like CE because it gives me some way of defending myself.

That's one reason I like that the Sundy has guns. Finally, a spawn point that isn't just a virgin tied to a post awaiting the dragons.

I am not so eager for AA as I was in PS1, because the air in this game isn't so overpowered, overabundant, and overused. No hot-dropping, at least none that I've seen, from a one-seat plane. My interest in AA was entirely defensive. In PS2, I don't really see such a desperate need for it yet.

But, and this will be hashed over much in the coming years, it is pay-to-not-be-so-guaranteed-to-lose.
Old 2012-10-08, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

An "engineer turret", how underwealming. It's so much like WOW. How many do you get? One?

An anti-vehicle mine. Like WOW, how much do you get? One? Or you can go BF3 and get 2 of them, oOooh, how underwealming.

In the WOW era you can only have 1 object deployed, one pet, like some sort of bandwidth equality.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-10-08 at 10:57 AM.
Old 2012-10-08, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
theknits
Private

so what. We've all done the "shoot people" thing before. Want something more.
So clearly the persistent world changes everything. Your fighting over something that doesn't just toggle back to default at the start of the next round. More isn't necessarily better. We could give the trees and rocks guns that would also be "more" but it wouldn't actually be more fun.

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
Dangerous minefields, tripwire turrets, electronic warfare... Things that make you use your head before moving. More depth, the better.
A human opponent should be more challenging than all of those things. Beating a player requires using your head a lot more than beating a mine. The mine just gets between you and the greater challenge the players represent.

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I have spent most of the nine years of PS with laggy, slow, non-optimal connections or computers. I like CE because it gives me some way of defending myself.
Catering to people with poor connections is one of the best ways to ruin a real time game.

An "engineer turret", how underwealming. It's so much like WOW. How many do you get? One?

An anti-vehicle mine. Like WOW, how much do you get? One? Or you can go BF3 and get 2 of them, oOooh, how underwealming.

In the WOW era you can only have 1 object deployed, one pet, like some sort of bandwidth equality.
I'll agree this game shouldn't be anything like wow. Automated pet like turrets clearly don't belong.
Old 2012-10-08, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gugabalog
Major

They were already in planetside one and appeared to work, this is virtually no contest.
Old 2012-10-08, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
theknits
Private

Originally Posted by Gugabalog View Post
They were already in planetside one and appeared to work, this is virtually no contest.
If they were making a planetside 1 clone they would of been done by now. On account of the fact the games already been made. It's called planetside 1. This is supposed to be an improvement and for reasons I've previously stated their absence in planetside 2 would be a significant improvement.
Old 2012-10-08, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Crator
Major General

So clearly the persistent world changes everything. Your fighting over something that doesn't just toggle back to default at the start of the next round. More isn't necessarily better. We could give the trees and rocks guns that would also be "more" but it wouldn't actually be more fun.
Stop being silly. Most everyone liked the AI (Alien Invasions) ideas that SOE had. People don't want that in a pure PvP game.

A human opponent should be more challenging than all of those things. Beating a player requires using your head a lot more than beating a mine. The mine just gets between you and the greater challenge the players represent.
Well, PS1 was a war game. People used CE in PS1 to strategic advantage. Players control CE and players control the destruction of CE. It's all very player controlled.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-10-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 2012-10-08, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

I'll agree this game shouldn't be anything like wow. Automated pet like turrets clearly don't belong.
Actually it's more like WOW because there are no spitfires. In the Era of WOW, pets have been nerfed, just like here in PS2, if you consider a mine/spitfire a pet. Anyone notice how pets, in the Era of WOW, do less than 25% of your avatar's damage. Yeah.

Last edited by Buggsy; 2012-10-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-10-08, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

So clearly the persistent world changes everything. Your fighting over something that doesn't just toggle back to default at the start of the next round.
Actually it's quite like your average BF3 game, you log off, and log on the next day and you got a 50% chance it's in enemy hands. We've been there, done that.
Old 2012-10-08, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Why would they be opposed to spits it's basically a mine with range.
Old 2012-10-08, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Raka Maru
Major

You obviously think twitch gaming face to face is what PS is about.

There are a lot of tactics involved from support, supply, and when they fix it, CE also.
Old 2012-10-08, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
theknits
Private

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
Stop being silly. Most everyone liked the AI (Alien Invasions) ideas that SOE had. People don't want that in a pure PvP game.

Well, PS1 was a war game. People used CE in PS1 to strategic advantage. Players control CE and players control the destruction of CE. It's all very player controlled.
Well among the players I played with not even one could come close to stomaching the idea of alien invasions. Kill ai mobs. Been there done that as you like to say.

Id be fine with remotely controlled turrets. You know the kind that a player actually controls. But I wouldn't call tossing down your kill bot and walking away player controlled. I remember seeing kills pop up in ps1 from turrets I had entirely forgotten about (granted they only killed idiots but that's the primary target for automated turrets everywhere).

Actually it's more like WOW because there are no spitfires. In the Era of WOW, pets have been nerfed, just like here in PS2, if you consider a mine/spitfire a pet. Anyone notice how pets, in the Era of WOW, do less than 25% of your avatar's damage. Yeah.
As it stands now ps2 has no pets. Yet you say its somehow more like wow because they adjusted the way the pets in wow work? Sounds more like 1 game has pets and 1 game doesn't. Adding pets only makes it more like wow.

Actually it's quite like your average BF3 game, you log off, and log on the next day and you got a 50% chance it's in enemy hands. We've been there, done that.
It's already pretty clear to anyone that has taken a serious look at the beta that some kind of lattice system is required to establish some kind of rolling front line. But that's a whole other issue completely separate from the whole turret problem.

Originally Posted by Raka Maru View Post
You obviously think twitch gaming face to face is what PS is about.

There are a lot of tactics involved from support, supply, and when they fix it, CE also.
I think the combat as it stands now is anything but twitch face to face action. Sure you can get by on that to some degree but you can secure a victory far more reliably from simply positioning yourself properly and advancing at a disciplined pace.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault