We need a "channel" for NEW people to Planetside 2 !!! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Trying to eat you since the dev met the T-Virus!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-08-19, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

We need a "channel" for NEW people to Planetside 2 !!!

We need something like a "Training School / Channel " in Planetside 2 where all the "New" people to the game, let`s
say from level 1-10 or so get auto placed and where we "vets" in Ps2 can go in and either just hang around and help them out, Pick some one out and make him a "prao" to him self (and you get cert's or something for every level he gain) or take a bunch of them out and make a "school" where you are the teacher and every order they follow they + you get cert's*

*(Self made MISSIONS would fit perfectly here).

Because how good this game even is right now (best fps game on PC right now IMO) I feel that people are leaving because they don't understand what they need to do, They don't understand how the lattice works, How they by weapons, What weapons add-ons to by and so on and so on ....

So instead they run around on the map like a headless chicken thinking this is BF3 on bigger scale where you always can rely on that a MEDIC is 5 feet away rdy to rezz you OR when they FINALLY get to some action after running 15 min over the map because they dont understand the vihecle point system they are instagibbed by a sniper half the map away going facepalm -> Rage - > un install and go back to bf3 for an example.

And i think after hearing some "VETS" complain on noobs and hate on them SOME VETS (no names) have forgotten how hard PS1 was when you got into it ( late game ) as a "noob". And ps2 is no different. It has a pretty high learning curve I would believe for the new ones and just because we are VETS from ps1 and now ps2 (beta players) we cant forget about the "noobs". We are now the ones that make this game GROW in "how many players that stay in ps2" way.

Me my self and many others I have noticed don't have anything what so ever against taking a break on the heavy fighting going on outside on the map and just hang around in the warp gate helping new people.

Like me for an example: When my outfit on miller (VC) is not active I usually don't farm cert.'s out on the map,
Instead I enjoy standing in WARP either being a TAXI GAL driver (galaxy) or helping NEW people out.

Though THAT CAN be a bit of a problem right now because the only way to contact "new" people right now is to either use the commands /S /Y /W and all 3 of them suck to get contact with "new ppl".

So, Once again:

WE NEED a CHANNEL for NEW people like level 1 - 10 or something where we "vets" can jump in and teach them or take some of them into a squad and make a "school".

SOE make it happen NOW : )
/Devil

Oh. Training schools happen on INDAR VANU WARP every day.
/sry bad eng

Last edited by DevilzRightHand; 2013-08-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Re: We need a "channel" for NEW people to Planetside 2 !!!

On FNO this last week, Luperza mentioned something about a system that she was trying to pitch, that would be a tutor system for PS2. Basically, you as an experienced player could opt in, and guide around a pub, who you work with to provide information to, about the game.

No details as of now, just heard the blurb in the middle of a lot of other stuff.
Old 2013-08-19, 09:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yep - looks like something we may get.. Fingers crossed!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-08-19, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i agree on this, in Aces high there is a help channel as well as many others. it is handy for those new to the flight sim and not sure what to do or where to go as the maps are way bigger then Planetside 2 and can get confusing for new players.
Old 2013-08-19, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The problem with a "New Player" or "Help" channel is that if it's globally viewable by all, you've just given a Global chat to every troll and their mother. There's a reason why it was removed for PS2.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2013-08-19, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
The problem with a "New Player" or "Help" channel is that if it's globally viewable by all, you've just given a Global chat to every troll and their mother. There's a reason why it was removed for PS2.
So have it put in its own tab just like with squad and outfit.

Or better yet have an option to request help from people. Vindictus has a system like that where if you're in training (after making a new character) you get an option to pick a random person to help you in it. After that you can just use /tell and give advice and whatnot.

Of course, instead of random people, it should be random volunteers. Either way it comes down to communication and more people have to do that with text. Not mics. Of which not everyone can use (me for example. Fortunately I know what I'm doing already).

The only flaw I can see is that you can't use the mouse to select tabs after pushing T which one SHOULD be able to do as far as I'm concerned. It took me awhile to know control tab changes tabs when in every other game just clicking will do. That seriously needs to be addressed to help newer players.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-08-19 at 07:51 PM.
Old 2013-08-19, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Wahooo
Captain

Yeah, make it not visible on the global channel and have it be the default for new players with a pop-up describing how to change chat channels.

Maybe to volunteer to be a tutor or mentor you cert into it through the command tree, not much like 50 certs but for leading a designated group of newbs you can earn back like 100 certs over a matter of time. That type of thing should help keep out the trolls and give a bit of a reward to those who are willing to do this type of task.
Old 2013-08-20, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
SerethiX
Corporal

If you have to pay certs to teach newbies, not many will do so!

SerethiX - www.serethi.de
Old 2013-08-20, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Blynd
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SerethiX View Post

What about if the tutors got bonus certs every level of the nebies that were squaded with them and that they were helping. That way the vets get something for their time and help and the newbies get help and advice for the first 5 levels. After BR5 you should have most things sorted and you can always /tell your old tutor for advice on stuff.
Old 2013-08-20, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
DevilzRightHand
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Blynd View Post
What about if the tutors got bonus certs every level of the nebies that were squaded with them and that they were helping. That way the vets get something for their time and help and the newbies get help and advice for the first 5 levels. After BR5 you should have most things sorted and you can always /tell your old tutor for advice on stuff.
Wasn`t there talk about "self made missions" that would work perfectly no?
Old 2013-08-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by SerethiX View Post

That is why I suggested getting more back than you spend, and the cost is low. It is just a filter to remove trolls or those not committed to helping. God knows I'm not the one to do it well, I don't have the patience. I could try but the certs wouldn't really factor in much to me. For most people I know in game that would be taking on this kind of roll, a few certs would be nothing to elevate the noobs and bring population to the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion