Outfit Camoflauge Designer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Its not how big, but how you use it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

View Poll Results: Outfit Camoflauge Designer: Yay or Nay
I like it! 30 50.85%
I like the idea of Outfit camos, but not in this manner. 21 35.59%
I don't like it. 6 10.17%
*shrug* I don't need no stinking camo! 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-27, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Lightbulb Outfit Camoflauge Designer

A feature in the Cash shop that allows an Outfit to design a camo from a pallet of various design elements and colors to choose from.

As an example think of the zebra stripe but with metallic copper instead of white, with dual racing stripes in maroon.
Or all matte black with with an octagonal net overlay of fire engine red.

It would allow an Outfit's leader to design various camos within the Cash shop that Outfit members could vote on for acceptance (or the leader could do it all).

Once a camo is selected it is restricted within the Cash shop to members of that Outfit. Only members of that Outfit would be allowed to purchase that pattern.

Also, an Outfit would be able to have numerous camos available. This would allow for Squad, Wing, Corp, or Division variation within the Outfit. Leaders of those various divisions could have a variation to denote rank or standing.

It's basically an Outfit standard/tabard system. If they leave the Outfit they cannot use the camo.

It would help Outfits with recognition on the battlefield and prevent others from visually impersonating them. Makes them a bit more unique.

What y'all say to that?
Old 2012-05-27, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tallon
Private

Re: Outfit Camoflauge Designer

impractical, they would be issuing refunds all the time as people leave the unit. you cant have someone buy something then say they cant use it unless you want your playerbase to disappear overnight.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

I honestly don't know about that. Sounds like you'll have to spend cash to really be part of the certain outfits, next imposing outfit camo on individuals within-it and finally restricting the rest of people from getting certain camos pattern/color scheme combo because it is taken... all of the things are bad imo.

Edit: Custom outfit-specific logo however would be cool. Once the logo is taken another outfit can't use the same one. Camo combinations should be available to all.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-05-27 at 03:30 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Well, the leader could pay for it and it could be available to members of the Outfit while they are active members.

But really, even if they did pay for it individually, how much are we talking about?

No reason to get hung on one detail.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Shogun
Contributor
General

make the special camo a onetime buy for the outfit leader (and members can donate money for the outfit) and every bought outfit camo is available for every outfitmember for free.

having a little editor like the band hero bandlogo-editor that only uses predefined components would be fine. but being able to upload own textures would be best. being a little more expensive and moderated by a gm to prevent dicks.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Atheosim
Captain

I think it would be best if the outfit leader payed for the service and the camo skin is available to each member. I suppose the price might depend on the size of your outfit. That way Immigrant's issue is avoided, but it simply takes greater dedication on the OL's part.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Fuse
Sergeant

I think an Outfit should unlock an "outfit skin" at a certain rank. Officers or whatever can customize it, and as the outfit gains points more and more options are unlocked for them to mess with (say first tier has 3 cammo patterns and 5 decals, second tier 6 and 8, etc). Anyone in the outfit that's above BR5 or so gets access to the "outfit skin" so they can feel like they're a part of something and get a little visual reward for their efforts.

Don't forget, just because the game is F2P doesn't mean we have to completely do away with old standards. This sounds like a perfect feature to tie in to an outfit's in-game accomplishments, and I really don't like the idea of outfit members having to pay real money to feel a part of the gang.

Last edited by Fuse; 2012-05-27 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
impractical, they would be issuing refunds all the time as people leave the unit. you cant have someone buy something then say they cant use it unless you want your playerbase to disappear overnight.
Or they buy "outfit camo" once and have it even of they leave an outfit. If they join a new one they use whatever camo that outfit has made. Pretty easy fix.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Tallon View Post
Very good point. Outfit camo might be really hard to manage with all that in mind.
Personal Camo Designs would still be something I wouldnt have a problem with.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
kertvon
Sergeant

No cost per member with one a time fee upfront per outfit would work I think. It would possibly work if the camo options are super extensive, but locking down certain camo combos to outfits would really cripple the cash shop. If the options were available for GM moderated custom skins then it would probably be practical to implement a system like this. Maybe make it that when an outfit reaches a certain amount of points they can lock down a custom skin for a set fee. Custom outfit outfits are a great concept as the idea of creating an identity(even as you suggested down to outfit divisions) is critical to the immersion in PS2.
Old 2012-05-27, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

They should implement some kind of.. "Outfit stash" where members could donate Station Cash/Pro7 dollahs to and the Outfit leader could use them, perhaps only for stuff flagged as "outfit things", so that at least the outfit leader couldnt just buy himself stuff with the money.

I don't see it as a problem that stuff like that are bound to the outfit that you are given access to automatically when you join the clan and automatically lose it upon leaving. Much like... guild tabard in WoW
Old 2012-05-27, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kipper
Captain

If outfits demand a 'uniform' that will hurt sales of other cosmetics to people in these groups, since they will only need the one set of cosmetic stuff....

It's fine and cool for outfits to want to look the same, but I don't think the game will promote it necessarily because they want and need to sell additional stuff to as many people as possible

Would be nice if the OL could create a 'package' out of cash shop items based on what he/she is using or whatever, so that when someone wants to copy it, they don't have to search through thousands of items...
Old 2012-05-27, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Fuse
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
If outfits demand a 'uniform' that will hurt sales of other cosmetics to people in these groups, since they will only need the one set of cosmetic stuff....

It's fine and cool for outfits to want to look the same, but I don't think the game will promote it necessarily because they want and need to sell additional stuff to as many people as possible

Would be nice if the OL could create a 'package' out of cash shop items based on what he/she is using or whatever, so that when someone wants to copy it, they don't have to search through thousands of items...
Yeah, I could never see my self owning more than one skin.
Old 2012-05-27, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Galapogos
Corporal

I definitely would like to see an in game skin designer for outfits, especially one that would encourage unique designs and color schemes (so that not every tr outfit is red and black). But, restricting outfits or solos guys from skins just cause another outfit or guy uses them could definitely result in some backlash, so i am not sure that would be the best solution. However, I do think outfits should be able to reserve logos if they design them. Custom skins and custom outfit badges would make outfits distinguishable, and other outfits would probably have to go out of their way to look exactly like another outfit.

For the in game skin designer, something like the armor customization setup in mass effect 2 would be cool (maybe in 3 as well I haven't played it).

Also, outfits should be allowed custom skins for aircraft and ground vehicles using the same designer.
Old 2012-05-27, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
A feature in the Cash shop that allows an Outfit to design a camo from a pallet of various design elements and colors to choose from.

What y'all say to that?
Well, I think they should do this, as long as there are so many visual options that is unlikely that the design would be copied precisely. Otherwise, there would be too much probability of lockouts for others to get what they need. Im looking out for the guys who start PS2 a year or two down the road and want to make one...

Also, I think that they do need to make a "uniform" flag that "puts on" your outfit colors, when its proper. When its off, you can use whatever you have bought, and think is cool, anytime you feel like it. Not all outfits (and mine will be this way) require you to wear a uniform all the time, even when you are playing with them... In fact, there are times I can think of when you dont... So, an outfit uniform is a great idea to produce some pride, organization, coordination, and dare I say "uniformity".

I also think that for vehicles, there should be a synergy, a base pattern/color for the outfit, and then the other accents/nicknacks should add to that, so there is a combination of outfit/personalization, the precedent being the old WW2 Flying Fortresses my Grandpa used to fight in.

Lastly, but perhaps most importantly, the outfit leader needs to be the one who fronts the cost, period. There is no discussion on this point for me. The OL makes the comitment to do this in my opinion. I do not want to have 50 members where I could have had 250 because of a monetary inhibition. I want every swinging dick to hit the ground running with every single benefit the outfit brings to the table the second they decide to click join, with very few exceptions. I want their loyalty, and earning it starts from day one.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault