Help a noob buy a kick ass computer for PS. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We Won't Screw You Over....Really..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-04-06, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr
2gigs of memory is is a waste of money and acctualy can hurt performance at this point, wiht faster emory soon it may be worthwhile.
Valid point. I retract my previous statement.

I will, however, second the Falcon Northwest recommendations. A friend recently got an FN, and it's very impressive. I haven't used an Alienware hands-on, so this isn't a qualified comparison, but I can vouch that FN is an amazing computer.
Old 2004-04-07, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
foxjedi
Private

All right, the Falcon computers look allright. Customer support is a big deal for me (I break things), and I've delt with Arab electricians/engineers for the past year and have lost all confidence in their electrical ability (yes I know that's a general statement but I've had too many tents burn down, TVs fried, generators explode, Haji electricuting himself to have impartial judgement).
Now, how much memory, what kind of video card, etc, do I really need? I'd rather not call these guys up and spend way too much.
Thanks for all your help thus far.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

At least a Gig o' Ram, DDR 400 (PC 3200), 9800XT video card, Aluminum Chassis (if they give you the option, get the Antec Lanboy. 2 120mm fans will cool your PC real well), at least a 2.8 P4 800mhz FSB, get 2 SATA hard drives at 120GB each and make it a RAID 0 if the option is there. DVD-RW drives have come down in price. You can get an NEC drive that does both DVD-RW and CD-RW for under $100, so if they ask for the option for your PC, and it's over $150, don't get it. Wait til you get it then order the NEC. Save you some $$ and Tech support should not be a factor.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-04-07, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
DeadTeddy
Sergeant Major

I don't know why you guys like P4's so much when AMD has some great alternatives out there. for such big budget he can get a god damn FX-51 that would really kick ass in future 64 bit applications. far cry for example will run much better on it once winXP 64-bit is out.
Old 2004-04-07, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
smccord313
Private

If tech support is important, definitely check out ABS.

One of their best selling points is tech supprt. Everyone is American, so you can understand what they're saying. They're not called Always Best Service for nothing.

And the systems are just as fast as Alienware, Voodoo, or Falcon, for hundreds, even over a thousand less. Check them out and see what you think. I love mine.

StrikerTek
Planetside KAAOS
Old 2004-04-07, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Well the fact is 64bit windows is not out and may not be out for almost another year so that is a mute point, the P4's are acctualy cheaper compared to the 64's, and the offer much more memory bandwidth, A64's are very picky with the memory they get, also the chipsets area all in their infancy.

Now with the coming of socket 939 and the new Nf3 250gb chipset things may change, i'm thinking about an A64 next year sometime when i do a major upgrade and get me a good computer

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-07, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Besides, we all know that if Longbow is releases next year it's going to be buggier than hell. I'd wait at least two years from now to get Longbow. By then, Intel will have their 64bit processor out and PCI-x will be mainstream.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-04-08, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

longhorn* it gaone be a hard decision, next year for me, but its the benchmarks that i go by

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-04-09, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Well the fact is 64bit windows is not out and may not be out for almost another year so that is a mute point
Actually I beg to differ Rbstr. Win XP 64 is in a public beta phase right now. Anyone can download it for free from Microsoft.com (I know, thats what I thought, "Microsoft" and "FREE" in the same sentence?!) However, its only a 1-year trial, so you will be required to purchase it after that point.

So, even though its not available to buy, it IS available for free. Win XP 64 is in a rather "bare-bones" state right now though, a lot of the "fancier" bells and whistles have yet to be integrated. Supposedly it is quite stable right now, with the only real problem being the fact that what few drivers are available for it right now kinda suck (were kinda slapped together by their respective companies without any real optimization work).

If I had a spare hard drive (with more than a couple hundred megs of space) I would install it myself...

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum