A Guide on How To Be A Good Beta Tester - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: That was naturally occurring lag.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-24, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: A Guide on How To Be A Good Beta Tester

They could let all of the current subs in. There can't be that many.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2011-07-24, 05:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
DxC
Sergeant

decent post but some of the points are mostly common sense

idea behind betas etc is to Test and make sure things are working properly unforntaly though you will get the Airheads who think its the full game and have every right to bitch about it not working for them
Old 2011-07-24, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SKYeXile
Major General

In a game like planetside, it will need thousands of players to stress test it but also since the game is based around pvp, it will need alot of players to test the flow of a battle its game systems for capturing, and playing it like it would be played on live, and spending alot of time doing that, the developers cant spend that much time playing to test that shit. and im sure SOE dont want to pay extra people thousands of dollars to test that shit when they can get us to test it for free and look at the metrics.
Old 2011-07-24, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
The majority will, sadly. Looking back at the Global Agenda alpha, the steam group was small and about 20 of us regularly posted. Early closed beta grew much larger and and still only had about 50-100 regular posters across all forums.

The external alpha percentage is usually fairly good because they're hand picked. CB is pretty poor because it's usually machine selection. However, that's taken into account when making those numbers. You get a percentage of actual analysts and then the rest are there to provide game context for those analysts to do their jobs. Can't test in a vacuum.
Dude they let everyone into Global Agenda's Alpha it feels like. I got into Alpha and I didn't even really want to be in it. Can't stand 3rd person shooters.
Old 2011-07-24, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

wait. you mean beta isn't just for playing the game before everyone else?
Old 2011-07-24, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
WarChimp130
Master Sergeant

Beta only exists for bragging rights so that people who get in can lord it over the people who don't and add 3 inches to their e-p33n.
Old 2011-07-24, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MgFalcon
Captain

I've Beta tested manyyyy games. I know what to do, and not to do. I even warned the creators back when APB was getting big to NOT release the game cause it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too repetitive. They didn't listen and the game was one of the biggest flops ever.
Old 2011-07-24, 09:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Duddy
First Sergeant

I was fortunate enough to be an Alpha tester for Global Agenda.

Had a lot of fun testing things such s as the "not-so-invincible" Assault shield and mostly the ins and outs of the Robotics class.

Shame they started going in the wrong direction during Beta though. I did test till release, heck even bought the game, but it just wasn't the game I'd seen promise in.

But yeah, look forward to testing PS:2 should I be so lucky
Old 2011-07-24, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I think the most effective way to be a good beta tester is to be a complete asshole. I don't think this will be a hard role to fit for most people on these forums

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2011-07-24, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
I was fortunate enough to be an Alpha tester for Global Agenda.

Had a lot of fun testing things such s as the "not-so-invincible" Assault shield and mostly the ins and outs of the Robotics class.

Shame they started going in the wrong direction during Beta though. I did test till release, heck even bought the game, but it just wasn't the game I'd seen promise in.

But yeah, look forward to testing PS:2 should I be so lucky

I was too a tester for GA, I loved how they never did test AvA at all and expected it to be amazing on release, Hi rez were pretty funny. I gave that game up months ago because of crappy AvA and they wonder why they are losing playerbase.
Old 2011-07-24, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. Did he say ALL subscribers would be the first into beta? Cause if not then I could still be right. That they will pick certain outfits an do most of the testing with them.

I do see your point about it being hard to test large scale combat without thousands to actually slug it out. But that doesn't mean they will open the floodgates for a year or more of testing to every subscriber. Well if you had to stay subscribed then maybe since it would pretty much be a pay to play Beta then.
You're acting like PS1 has a lot of subscribers
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-24, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Patience is about the best quality of a beta tester. Its frustrating to play with bugs that can severely cripple your game experience, like crashes, bad framerates and other such things that can make the game nearly unplayable. Horrid balance issues and other such things are also frustrating. Keeping the cool head and being patient, hanging in there and playing it in spite of those issues helps a lot.

That said, you can be the best beta tester in the world but if the devs dont' listen to the feedback or do poor triage of bugs then there isn't much you can do.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Patience is about the best quality of a beta tester. Its frustrating to play with bugs that can severely cripple your game experience, like crashes, bad framerates and other such things that can make the game nearly unplayable. Horrid balance issues and other such things are also frustrating. Keeping the cool head and being patient, hanging in there and playing it in spite of those issues helps a lot.

That said, you can be the best beta tester in the world but if the devs dont' listen to the feedback or do poor triage of bugs then there isn't much you can do.
Fortunately for us the devs seem to really wanna listen to the playerbase this time around
Old 2011-07-25, 08:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
I've Beta tested manyyyy games. I know what to do, and not to do. I even warned the creators back when APB was getting big to NOT release the game cause it was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too repetitive. They didn't listen and the game was one of the biggest flops ever.
It wasn't really about lack of listening, but lack of budget. RTW was bankrupt before the game was even out and they needed to release it and hope it would keep the company afloat enough for it to recover. That didn't happen though.

About the repetitiveness, the ideology behind the game is much like that of Counter Strike. Counter Strike is extremely repetitive like most online shooters, yet that does not bother majority of the players.

One of the problem is though that APB also tried to appeal to alot of MMORPG-playerbase, and these arnt too much into repetitiveness. As an online shooter, APB is the least repetitive I've ever played.
Old 2011-07-25, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Yea I believe everyone that is a Planetside Sub will get into the beta.

Just please make sure guys. That everyone stays active and reports bugs and posts opinions on everything in the game.

Good Feedback is soo crucial to this game. The Planetside Community needs to step up!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion