Leaning and Mounting Weapons - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Terran Republic,too much spare lead
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Leaning and Mounting Weapons be Available?
Yes 6 31.58%
No 2 10.53%
Only Leaning should 2 10.53%
Only Mounting Should 3 15.79%
Only a Few Specialized weapons(mods,etc) should be able too 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-04, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Dreamcast
Major

Leaning and Mounting Weapons

Im not 100% sure on this subject but what do you guys think?

Leaning has been used in alot of games and it basically makes the game more tactical IMO, Im not 100% sure this should be in Planetside tho, it could potentially slow it down.

Another thing I do think could be cool in planetside, is mounting weapons.

Supposedly Battlefield 3 is gonna have this and I think it could work with planetside..Basically from what I have seen is that you can mount any weapon in almost any type of object so your aiming will be better and making cover more important.

Depending on how the environments are in Planetside, Im assuming there gonna be more detailed instead of the trees with cookie cutter bases so there's gonna be more places to mount a weapons.

So what do you guys think?....Can this slow the gameplay too much or add more depth to the game?

BTW I mean to put only some weapons should be able to be mounted on objects in the #5 poll

Last edited by Dreamcast; 2011-03-04 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2011-03-04, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: Leaning and Mounting Weapons

The mounting reminds me of bipods from older WWII shooters. Although I really miss using them and would love to see that in PSN, they have to be careful balancing it. If that is in, prone should be out, for example.

For the leaning I can't decide on an opinion so I'll wait for some bickering to commence.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-03-04, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sifer2
Major

Well i'll say the same thing in regards to leaning as I did in the prone thread. That is if they keep the cone of fire mechanic it may slow things down too much. As its one thing to aim at someone's exposed head or small body laying on the ground when you have near perfect accuracy. But another to try to hit that small target with a big cone of random fire.

If our weapons are accurate like in Battlefield this time then Prone an Leaning would be fine. As for mounting I don't really care one way or another so i'll say sure.

Last edited by Sifer2; 2011-03-04 at 11:08 PM.
Old 2011-03-05, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I certainly want mounting for machine guns; without mounting them they should be really inaccurate and almost unusable. For the rest of weapons I don't mind so much, but I would be happy to see it in game.

Leaning I would like to see, especially as a replacement to third person.
Old 2011-03-05, 04:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
I certainly want mounting for machine guns; without mounting them they should be really inaccurate and almost unusable.
Most modern SAWs can be used quite handily unmounted or without a bipod, though of course bursts are key.

And of course they are as accurate as any other rifle in short bursts.

Not really a fan of leaning, mostly because it makes me run out of handy keys around wasd, and PS has way more important keybinds than the average shooter.

It also gives a big advantage to defenders, and grenades would have to be made much more lethal to counteract this.
Old 2011-03-05, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

I think leaning is really stupid. I never see anyone use it in any game with it.
Old 2011-03-05, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

I use it all the time in ARMA 2 , it also gives an advantage to attackers since they can just peek around doors they are about to enter through
Old 2011-03-05, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Warruz
Sergeant

Leaning gives you the ability to take a quick peak or snip someone around a corner without exposing much making you a small target.

As for mounting weapons im unsure on.
Old 2011-03-06, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I think leaning is really stupid. I never see anyone use it in any game with it.
You never played Soldier of Fortune 2, huh?

Whenever leaning gets mentioned, I always have memories of SoF2. Leaning worked well in that game, but the weapons were accurate too. Like Sifer says, if the weapons in PSN have a similar feel to those of PS, then things like prone, leaning and mounting weapons might slow down gameplay too much.
Old 2011-03-06, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Lol, SoF was hilarious.

Nothing beats throwing knives into ball-sacks.
Old 2011-03-06, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Arkaiden
Private

Anyone ever play Medal of Honor Allied Assault? That game's multiplayer had leaning. It was also when lean was relatively young, but it ruined things. People didn't use lean to peak around corners they used it to be a 24x7 contortionist to prevent anything but leg/pelvis shots (i.e. they had a macro or whatever leaning for them).

Here's the thing, for lean to be of any use it has to be fast. Too fast, imo, for the latency involved in an MMO.
Old 2011-03-06, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Meh about leaning. But I think deploy-able bipods like we used to see with machine guns would be cool.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2011-03-07, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea I am not really sure if leaning is needed or would fit in this game. Bipods would be pretty cool though..

Not that this is really on topic but SoF2 was a blast. Nothin like blowing people's body parts clear off.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-03-10, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Traak
Colonel

How about hanging upside down from a tree and grabbing and garroting enemy soldiers?

Swinging from vines. Tarzan yell comes out involuntarily.

Being able to swing from a vine, which vine is actually like a 2000-5000 hp armor shield, that shoots rotten tree fruit that are like plasma, somehow, then do a somersault, land on an enemy, while firing your HA weapon, and OMG0WNAGE!

Wait, that's a feature they have already. It's called "air cav"
Old 2011-03-11, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
bkx
Private

Leaning weapons against cover drastically modifies the gameplay style, making it more reliant on cover, and less on running around. Maybe a middle ground could be achieved, having hardpoints scattered around the base that certain weapons could be mounted on, or engineers could build machine-guns.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion