Empire Specific Sniper Rifles - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So easy a caveman can do it!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-08, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
GreyFox
First Sergeant

Empire Specific Sniper Rifles

I posted about these on the OF. Thought I should share my ideas here.

Empire Specific Sniper Rifles

Vanu - Stingray

Shoots a highly concentrated and very fast beam-like projectile, it damages a little less then the current Bolt Driver. 3 shots are needed to kill of a Rexo, 2 against agile and below, unless the agile/standard uses a medkit before the next shot.
The reload time is about 40% faster then that of the Bolt Driver.
And it also makes whatever implant the target has reset, and recharge.

Might be cool to have regular shots, and AP mode aswell, to go with the theme of the VANU. And uses the same ammo type as the pulsar.

Terran - Basher

A sniper rifle with a clip size of 3.
Each shot does 30 Damage to health on rexo, and 30 Stamina Drain. You can shoot these 3 shots at about 75% of the time it takes for the original Bolt Driver to shoot 2 shots. The reload then takes about 20% of that time, so you can still kill at the same speed as the bolt driver. (Might need to be a bit slower because of the stamina drain).

NC - Thunder

Has 1 shot in the clip as the Bolt driver, but takes longer to reload. The Thunder does 85 HP in damage against rexo (might be lower if this would kill Agile, should not be able to kill agile on 1 shot).
It takes longer to reload. BUT, it does some stacking damage like the Plasma grenade, so if you don't take a medkit fast, or use a Medic Tool, you will die from one shot. (All Implants work, so second wind would be nice counter to this one...).

What do you think?

All of these might be needed to be trimmed down a bit, might be a little powerful.

Anyways, the bolt driver should probably stay even if there were Empire specific sniper rifles.

Last edited by GreyFox; 2004-02-08 at 11:26 AM.
Old 2004-02-08, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Aurorapro
Private

I like it but i dont like the fact that the NC weapon again kills with one shot o !

But i think i would be cool to have these in.
Old 2004-02-08, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
GreyFox
First Sergeant

No, it should not kill on one shot. Only on rare ocassions... there was another Idea on the Official Forums about giving them explosive shots instead, which you could do some damage against vehicles with.
Old 2004-02-08, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Madcat170
Sergeant

I think the Devs Already said something along the lines of

"Yea Empire Specific Sniper rifles would be cool, but its so low on the list of things to do..."

See lots of these ideas pop up. And no 1 shot kills against anything but infils.
Old 2004-02-08, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
GreyFox
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Madcat170
And no 1 shot kills against anything but infils.
Yeah, I know I don't like it either... but the way I described it would only happen sometimes, because of the damage stacking. Second wind or a medpack would hinder this.

The way I designed the NC sniper to be, it had to have some edge against the Bolt Driver to make it just as good but different, and fit the NC theme.

But maybe make it be explosive instead?
Old 2004-02-08, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Angel_of_Death
Second Lieutenant

I love the idea of empire-specific snipers, but no.

NC sniper is way too strong, so is Vanu (it still kills a rexo in 2 shots yet does "less damage").

Basher blows.
Old 2004-02-08, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Sniping does not need to be touched. What you just suggested would turn the Bolt Driver into a supressor of sniper rifles.
Old 2004-02-08, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Onizuka-GTO
Lieutenant Colonel

Why don't you give the NC a Railgun type Sniper Rifle? It will fit in with the current magnetic Acceleration technology that they have.

I love you, You love me, Lets go kill those dammn NC's With their jackhammer shotguns, And their Phoenix Missiles too, and make them wish they were barney's too.
Old 2004-02-08, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
UncleDynamite
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm one of those old school snipers who doesn't want empire-specific sniper rifles. The Bolt Driver is a fine weapon, and no one has any serious issues with it.

However, this is a hypothetical discussion so I'll add my 2 cents. Your ideas are pretty neat, especially how the NC rifle would be "Sorta 1 shot kill, but sorta not." The Vanu rifle, however, seems a little insane. I'd drop the damage a bit but keep the implant-deactivation feature. The jammer effect on vehicles, however, would be way too powerful.

Good ideas.
Old 2004-02-08, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Basher would be a perfect compliment to the lowest-bidder junk the TR calls equipment.

edit: otherwise, cool ideas. I'd just make the VS one force-reset implants, no 3 minute penalty
/TR bashing

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-08, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
GreyFox
First Sergeant

The Vanu sniper could do it in 3, and should probably be 3 against rexo, 2 against Agile unless they use a medpack.

The difference between Bolt Driver and the Stingray would be that the stingray usually kills in 3 shots, and then a almost as fast as the BD. BUT it can kill some Agile and worse armors in 2 shots, if they don't use medkits. (might scrap that idea though...)

AND I agree, the other stuff is a litte powerful, changing it to just resetting the Implants would be a good idea. Maybe make them have to recharge the Implants? 3 Minutes is a little much, I think I was comparing with the jammer nade which is 15 minutes, isn't it?

@Onizuka-GTO; Yeah, that's what's it meant to be

P.S. I'll edit the first post.
Old 2004-02-08, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
JakeLogan
Major

Well most of them sound cool. don't like the TR one though seems a little gimped compared to the others.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Sniping does not need to be touched.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MilitantB0B
Colonel

Well, personally, I like the old sniper rifle. So your best bet would be to add the empire specific ones to the cert without removing the old one. If you do this, however, I suggest you make the empire specific ones fill a different role then the common pool one.
Old 2004-02-08, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by MilitantB0B
Well, personally, I like the old sniper rifle. So your best bet would be to add the empire specific ones to the cert without removing the old one. If you do this, however, I suggest you make the empire specific ones fill a different role then the common pool one.
Right. If they ever add anymore sniper rifles they shouldn't be used for killing infantry, because they'll either be better at it than the bolt driver or worse, and one or the other will be out of work. The weapons are far too similar to give them the same targets without making one obsolete. And to give them vehicles as their target would make them in many cases an unkillable threat to vehicles and MAXs of all kinds, something I don't think anyone wants.

With that said, I really don't think they should add any new sniper rifles. What we have now is perfectly fine in my opinion. By all means continue with the ideas, but try to figure something that won't put MAXs or the bolt driver out of work.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion