Gameplay: Cloaker Glide Suits - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A drug against war
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-26, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Cloaker Glide Suits

Since it was mentioned for Light Assault as a jump pack possability... i just figured i'd throw out the idea of this one (or something similair) being part of a cloaker's abiltiy to be mobile and actually get in to positions for recon. I don't suggest any other jump jet/flight/movement ability really (Aside from the assumption that they have the fastest run speed).

I think that being able to glide from an air drop, or from high ground to low/adjacent high ground would help cloakers survive and perform recon quite a bit easier than simply being invisible.
Old 2012-03-26, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

Re: Cloaker Glide Suits

Anything jetpack related should stick with Light Assault. That's not really a Cloaker's style anyway. What we need is a grappling hook or someway to climb vertical surfaces. We've seen a few shots of Infil Snipers in trees, I hate to think everyone had to drop out of an aircraft to get there

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-03-26 at 11:18 AM.
Old 2012-03-26, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Lonehunter View Post
Anything jetpack related should stick with Light Assault. That's not really a Cloaker's style anyway. What we need is a grappling hook or someway to climb vertical surfaces. We've seen a few shots of Infil Snipers in trees, I hate to think everyone had to drop out of an aircraft to get there
It doesn't have to be a jumpjet at all, thus why i titled it glide suit. However, as long as cloakers are still the best at infiltrating, I am fine with a grappling hook, suction cups, claws... what ever. I was trying to stay away from direct wall scaling, but if that's what we have to work with, I don't see a problem with it. All i'd like to see is that, in a game where I can just get a jump pack and sneak in to a base by avoiding it's walls entirely and using the infantry centric nature of the design to keep myself hidden, that a cloaker's only trick isn't just being invisible, yet having to crawl around the outside, find and open a door, and sneak all the way across a court yard just to get to the same area a Light Assault can in a couple of seconds and largely be just as undetected (Depending upon many variables I cannot possibly know about such as detection devices and so on)

As long as infiltrators have a means of infiltrating that isn't essentially trumped or equaled by jumping around, i'll be satisfied. Gliding is one way of doing that while not stepping truly on most of what a light assault does. A grapplnig hook type thing is of a similair mind set.

Edit: And for the record, yes... i have done this ins PS 1 and many other games (snuck around while not invisible). It isn't impossible, nor is it necessarily hard if you use stealth tactics that aren't founded entirely on not being seen in plain sight. I have traversed continents on foot, examining bases withotu being spotted for hours at times without claoking. The only purpose cloaking truly had was literally crawling around inside of a base (Interior usually or guarded) or sneaking in to an enemies line during major battles.Beyond those two, and even in some cases those, a cloaking suit isn't all that necessary for sneaking around.

Last edited by Kilmoran; 2012-03-26 at 11:43 AM.
Old 2012-03-26, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I think I like the idea of a grappling hook more. It seems like it would be more practical in a lot of ways.
Old 2012-03-26, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I think I like the idea of a grappling hook more. It seems like it would be more practical in a lot of ways.
Depending on how it works, certainly could be. And it also would be less... "exploitable" than gliding.
Old 2012-03-26, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Wasn't there a zip line suggestion? That could be a thing. Grappling hooks and zip lines.
Old 2012-03-26, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hypevosa
Sergeant

I love the idea of a glide suit and a grapler - definitely channeling some batman.
Old 2012-03-26, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
I love the idea of a glide suit and a grapler - definitely channeling some batman.
Just need some batar...throwing knives and we'll be good.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Hypevosa
Sergeant

pfft, just use the grapple hook to kill someone by catching their throat or pulling them off a cliff ;D

Too bad everyone's wearing armor.

Last edited by Hypevosa; 2012-03-26 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Purple
Sergeant Major

a grappling hook would be sick. grab a low flying gal and plant a boomer in flight lol
Old 2012-03-27, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I think one of the main examples that Higby gave about the new class system reducing overpowered combinations was snipers with jetpacks. Something to think about i spose...

Infils with grappling hook packs, or glider packs instead of big ass sniper rifles seem ok by that standard tho.
Old 2012-03-27, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brusi View Post
I think one of the main examples that Higby gave about the new class system reducing overpowered combinations was snipers with jetpacks. Something to think about i spose...

Infils with grappling hook packs, or glider packs instead of big ass sniper rifles seem ok by that standard tho.
Yeah... i just want something for infiltration.. /not/ for super sniping stuff. I want to be able to do something about navigating bases easier than most infantry.
Old 2012-03-27, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Hypevosa
Sergeant

I think if someone can manage to climb to a high enough location to glide to their preferred sniping roost, and not be killed or spotted before doing so, they deserve their spot. You could also just have the fact that a sniper rifle tends to be VERY heavy weight them, and cause them to lose altitude faster.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hypevosa View Post
I think if someone can manage to climb to a high enough location to glide to their preferred sniping roost, and not be killed or spotted before doing so, they deserve their spot. You could also just have the fact that a sniper rifle tends to be VERY heavy weight them, and cause them to lose altitude faster.
Sniper rifles are only a bit heavier than assault rifles, and perhaps even on par with them when you consider the amount of ammo that needs to be carried.
Old 2012-03-27, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Hypevosa
Sergeant

M16 fully loaded weighs 4 kg

Barret .50 with the longest barrel weighs 14 kilograms

I don't know where you get your information, but that's a hella lot more. That's 22 pounds more metal than a fully loaded assault rifle.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault