Nvidia GTX 680 Launch - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The penguin sees all.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-21, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Nvidia GTX 680 Launch

Well the 680 is going to be launched tomorrow. Current leaks are putting at least on par with the 7970 and likely faster in certain areas (1080P, tessellation). The confirmed price is $500, so I am hoping this is going to fuel some new competition. Love to see $300ish cut down of the 680 in the coming months. I'll update this thread with reviews once they start coming out. Anyone planning on buying one of these?

Reviews:
http://m.hardocp.com/article/2012/03...card_review/14
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/n...-680-review/15

Last edited by Goku; 2012-03-22 at 08:17 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Nvidia GTX 680 Launch

Wait, do you mean you'd like to see the 680 comes down to $300ish? I wish.

I fully expect it to beat the 7970, but I doubt I'll buy it unless it's particularly amazing.
Old 2012-03-22, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Really
Private

I'm waiting to see how it performs compared to 7950/70's (both price and performance), and probably how it performs in PS2 as well. Definitely need to get something though, stuck on CF 4870's atm and they're SO LOUD.
Old 2012-03-22, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

@vancha I mean if Nvidia brings out the 670 in the coming weeks. Should be a good card. Should be as fast as a 580 but cheaper more ram cooler and so on.
Old 2012-03-22, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
@vancha I mean if Nvidia brings out the 670 in the coming weeks. Should be a good card. Should be as fast as a 580 but cheaper more ram cooler and so on.
Oh, right. Isn't there supposed to be a significant delay between this and the rest of Kepler? I thought the rest of the 600s were months away. Otherwise yes, I'd very much like a poor-friendly version of this.
Old 2012-03-22, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Mobile Kepler already is selling in china actually. I dont we the rest of the line up being that far off. I haven't heard anything on a 670 yet though.
Old 2012-03-22, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Really
Private

So the benchmarks look pretty awesome, GTX680 seems to be the top card right now. Thinking of getting one (or maybe two, if I can justify it down the line) for PS2.

Quick question for anyone that might know: I know we don't know how PS2 will perform yet, but what are the chances of me getting 120fps with SLI'd 680s? Cause I just got a 120hz monitor and want to run vsync, but obviously need to be able to sustain 120fps for that!
Old 2012-03-22, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

Trying to form an accurate opinion of the 680 through a personal haze of "ooh shiny!".

I've read four review sites and it's different for every one. When it matters (one or both cards dipping below 60FPS), some sites have the 680 ahead by a significant margin, while others have it within 5FPS of the 7970.

It looks like it's all down to AMD and their pricing of the 7970. The 680's certainly worth a little more, but not that much more.

Originally Posted by Really View Post
Quick question for anyone that might know: I know we don't know how PS2 will perform yet, but what are the chances of me getting 120fps with SLI'd 680s? Cause I just got a 120hz monitor and want to run vsync, but obviously need to be able to sustain 120fps for that!
Pretty damn high, I'd say. Hell, what do you have now? A pair of 580s could well do the job considering the performance targets of PS2.
Old 2012-03-22, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Really
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Pretty damn high, I'd say. Hell, what do you have now? A pair of 580s could well do the job considering the performance targets of PS2.
I'm running 2 CF'd 4870s. They're old, loud, hot and just generally a bit crap

Thinking of doing a full upgrade when Ivy Bridge comes out, I've got a first gen i7 (920) so I can pretend it's justified (by skipping a generation :P) as long as the performance is worthwhile. Plus my mobo doesn't support SATA 6Gb/s atm!
Old 2012-03-22, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

I would get one, but my 3GB 580 hasn't had any problems yet and besides, I never buy Video Cards when they first come out as a general rule.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-03-22, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If I am dumping $500 on a VGA. I'd rather wait for the gk110 and keep it for several years. Especially of tsmc get stuck on 28nm like they did with 40nm for two years. I just see that cars win legendary like the 8800 gtx was whe it launched. AMD is going to be hurting of they do not have any bigger chip coming out. A 1250mhz 7980 isnt going to save them either.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-03-22 at 11:28 AM.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

That will be quite the upgrade!

I wonder if the PS2 team go a hold of any of these for development purposes.
Old 2012-03-22, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Really
Private

They were using SLI'd 580s in the GDC demo apparently and it ran smoothly (in alpha no less!) so I can always hope it'll run well Yeah it would be nice to know if they've tested the 680 out, but I guess there's not much point if alpha performance isn't representative of the final product!

I wonder if tech reviewers will use PS2 in any of their benchmarks...
Old 2012-03-22, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If it gets wicked popular with millions of active players it may at a few places. Especially if it has DX11 usage.
Old 2012-03-22, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

It'd be kind of hard to use PS2 as a benchmark though.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum