Nvidia GTX 680 Launch - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pioneers in the field of spam
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-22, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Nvidia GTX 680 Launch

The AnanfTech article that came out today draws a clear cut conclusion.

I guess the upside to a delayed Beta or full-on PS2 release is the likelyhood
that price of the GTX 680 might come down a bit and availability of a few nice boutique versions being out by then may go up.

The cloudly implications of PhysX remains my "final straw" that would tip my choice toward Nvidia - if all else was relatively equal.

The review on Overclock3D.net seemed to infer that PhysX may prove a non-factor, so I may be dumb for thinkng PhysX is relative (even though it's tied in with SOE and PS2). Dunno.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/g...0_review/19333

Depending on prices falling on other cards, I suspect the 680 will be my new card.
I hope to see more information posted here to help us choose wisely.

Appreciaton to Goku and others here who are commited to helping us make informed choices.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-03-22 at 03:35 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Chaff you still haven't made your rig. Whats up with the delay??!

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It'd be kind of hard to use PS2 as a benchmark though.
I think it would be doable. Just have to do the demo or whatever in one of the larger type of fights that prove to be most demanding. HardOCP used to bench WoW, AoC, and I think a few other MMOs.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-03-22 at 03:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

I think it would be doable. Just have to do the demo or whatever in one of the larger type of fights that prove to be most demanding. HardOCP used to bench WoW, AoC, and I think a few other MMOs.
but those can be done using predictable and repeatable ai guided flight paths etc. PS2 varies way too much in player density and whats goin on and doesnt have any auto flight paths. The stresses must be the same every run or the benchmark is useless, and you cant do that in somethin like this sadly.

And i have a single OC'd 580 atm so im not in need of an upgrade, but if i was I personally think i would wait for the GK110 since im partial to getting the strongest single gpu card if the difference is substantial enough. My guess is $650 ish on that beast. Curious to what their dual gpu solution would be now, im assuming they would do dual gk104 (gtx680) since dual gk110 would cost a fortune. And now their numbering is gonna be all kinds of goofy. they will prob have atleast two more cards and so they will start havin to use the 5's which can get confusing. Although they dont really make a ton of sense in the first place so i guess its no biggie. I get the marketing reason for 680 but if not for that it shoulda been the 670, but in their shoes from a marketing standpoint its better to be the 680.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2012-03-22 at 10:29 PM.
Old 2012-03-22, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

It would surprise me if the engine couldn't do some kind of in-engine recording/playback.
Just record one battle and play it back. AI isn't needed.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

I have $2,500 cash to spend today - but I know you'd crack the side of my head if I spent more than 1/2 that.

I'm still trying to infer what will run PS2 at (or near) optimal levels. I've talked myself off the ledge many times (as far as $y$tem overkill).

Right or wrong, I expect to go with one 680, 2600K, Z68MB, SRT w/SSD, and then reuse my PSU, my old CM Stacker, and drives....keep everything around (or ideally under) $1,200. Air-cooled with plenty of efficient fan placement....in a room with a small dedicated A/C to keep the room chilly......since I plan on OC'ng everything I can.

I'm hedging my bet regarding when PS2 will be released. If I knew Beta was exactly two weeks away, I'd put my PS2 rig together today. I could use a bigger HD....and that market is still recovering from the floods. The longer I wait - the more sytem I get for my money. I'm ready to pounce, but I have no reason to rush my build. It's PS2 driven.

I have developed an itchy trigger finger.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-03-23 at 11:16 AM.
Old 2012-03-23, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Ivy Bridge is right around the corner (Available in April) so you might as well go with the 3770K and the Z77. All that should be doable for around ~$1,500 depending on the final build.

About the HDDs I've seen 2TB drives on sale for $100. How much space you need?
Old 2012-03-23, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

There's absolutely no need to go above an i5 for gaming, waste of power unless you're planning on doing media type tasks like heavy video editing as a job. You won't use any of the extra power.

Not to mention there's way more over locking potential anyway.

Tapatalk.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-23, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

We'll see. I want the most bang for the buck, but I'm always hesitant to buy anything "new"....wanna have some sense of confidence I won't get stuck with something buggy and/or little tech support because it's new...plus gotta see what support/interface it has with the rest of my components.
Old 2012-03-23, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

The launch will be pretty good. Especially since this is only a refresh not a new arch.
Old 2012-03-23, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SgtMAD
Captain

crazy benchmark

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/n...chmarked/19274
Old 2012-03-28, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

For those interested in SLI here is a review from HardOCP.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-29, 11:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Heya, I thought I might stop by since I had some relevant information for this thread.

My boyfriend just recently purchased the Nvidia GeForce GTX680 and I have the AMD Radeon HD 7970 (I just replaced my two 6970s – going to be using those for a streaming PC).

From what we've tested so far, both of the cards are really good, but it depends on the application, the resolution you run at, etc. For the most part, we've been getting the exact same performance. In my opinion, the GTX680 is a better buy for the average gamer due to its lower price. And honestly, I don't think most gamers would be able to tell the difference between the two cards, especially when they are both OC'd properly.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in and say my two cents for anyone debating which graphics card they were wanting to purchase.

Also, the Hard Forums are awesome for techy discussions like this. Love that site. I'm much more of a lurker over there though.
Old 2012-03-30, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
AstroFool
Private

Has SOE done any hardware PhysX tests with Planetside 2 yet?

If so, is there any performance gain for Nvidia owners?
Old 2012-03-30, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by AstroFool View Post
Has SOE done any hardware PhysX tests with Planetside 2 yet?

If so, is there any performance gain for Nvidia owners?
I would wait 'til beta. A company that's friendly with Nvidia is never going to say "well to be honest, an AMD card will run the game just as well".
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-30, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Luperza
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

And of course, I do not have the authority to answer that question anyways. =P
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum