Logos and Insignias - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Handcrafted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-12, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Blitzkri
Private

Logos and Insignias

Not sure if this post is out there already. But will we be given an option for customized logos? Will there be pre made logos?
Old 2012-03-12, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Logos and Insignias

In GDC we saw a logo or two return from the first one, so there will be premade logos.

I doubt there will be custom logos, and if there are, I imagine it will cost $$$ and be moderated.
Old 2012-03-12, 08:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Knocky
Major

The are being sketchy on that.

Higby said they would "like" too.

However since every single logo would have to be vetted for content (including all the juvenile hidden penises) I doubt it will ever happen.

Perhaps they might have a contest to win a custom logo though.
Old 2012-03-12, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

I don't see any harm at all in having custom logos, if they charge for them they can easily cover moderating them. Very worthwhile in my opinion, it'll increase the "this is mine" feelings in game and better attach people to the world.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Blitzkri
Private

$ is no problem. I am willing to dish out the right and fair amount to decal my outfit and divisions. Be pretty sweet if we can do that. Im sure there are many of us who have the artistic talent to have a rendered image for vehicles and body armor.

If they do have this option, i hope they can show us how it would look after rendering. I hate to not be able to see important specifics of the decal. A preview.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
EightEightEight
Sergeant Major

I would love custom logos the problem is that people are going to be trolls even if they have to pay money.

You would think that would stop it but trolls are trolls
Old 2012-03-12, 11:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xaine
Major

Sounds great. I love the idea of recognising outfits just from their decals.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Custom logos is too problematic in the moderation and the constant updating that would need to be done. There are two methods:

1. Is a CoD Black Ops. style which while, "customizable", is simply arraigning premade shapes that already exist in the game.

2. True custom made logos would be little pieces of art that would have to be uploaded and then patched out to every player's client. Not gonna happen.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-12, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Custom logos is too problematic in the moderation and the constant updating that would need to be done. There are two methods:

1. Is a CoD Black Ops. style which while, "customizable", is simply arraigning premade shapes that already exist in the game.

2. True custom made logos would be little pieces of art that would have to be uploaded and then patched out to every player's client. Not gonna happen.
This isn't true at all. You're thinking of this as if it's an image all players have to have on their computer in order to paste onto the side of a tank. That's not necessary at all.

Just as with the cod premade shapes, the data for the image can be sent when and as necessary, to be cached by the player's machine once and one time only when they encounter the image. The only reason cod had premade shapes as opposed to a proper paint editor was to limit the offensive images and to allow people with poor art skills to join in with the customisation.

It'll work exactly the same as CS sprays work, except requiring moderation and payment.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

Outfit logos would be awesome.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
This isn't true at all. You're thinking of this as if it's an image all players have to have on their computer in order to paste onto the side of a tank. That's not necessary at all.

Just as with the cod premade shapes, the data for the image can be sent when and as necessary, to be cached by the player's machine once and one time only when they encounter the image. The only reason cod had premade shapes as opposed to a proper paint editor was to limit the offensive images and to allow people with poor art skills to join in with the customisation.

It'll work exactly the same as CS sprays work, except requiring moderation and payment.
I would hope that would not cause any stutter, even if one time per logo. However, the main issue is still moderation. This game is aspiring to massive numbers of players. The even if caught up to later, inappropriate images would make it into the game, unless they had someone actively screening every uploaded image ahead of time. Either way, that's man power.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-12, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MonsterBone
First Sergeant

Seeing how the whole game will be supported by selling customization's it would be nice to be able to get something other then buying pre-made generic clan logos from the store. PC gamer does indicate that you can have a clan logo BUT looking at the pictures it just looks like a generic logo that frankly does not look appealing.

The military has been adding their logos to vehicles since WWI and its a big deal to ask us to pay $$ for the generic monochromatic "clan logos" we see from the demo. If that's the business model that's going to support the game I think SOE needs to be worried. It would be different if there was a robust system like Black Ops but if all we get is a Modern Warfare 3 system where you pick a boring decal then we should worry that they are not maxing out their ability to pay for the game.

Last edited by MonsterBone; 2012-03-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ThGlump
Captain

They would be stupid not to allow us to create custom outfit logo. Ppl are ready to pay a lot for it, so it will be profitable even if soe needs someone to approve one by one.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Johari
Staff Sergeant

Of course I'd like to see customized outfit logos but don't charge for the default ones that we had in the last game. Maybe there could be some sort of requirements that your outfit would have to reach first to be able to submit an outfit logo. Something like a certain outfit rank that you leveled up, certain amount of members or outfit points, and then an additional fee to pay for the 'Shipping and Processing.'

I know that my outfit will definitely be gunning for a high outfit rank with a solid roster and many of us, I included, will be happy to chip in for a custom logo that we can call our own.

Does this need to be in at launch? No. But I certainly hope that it's part of there 5 year plan.
Old 2012-03-12, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

Add a fee to make a custom logo. Have them moderate it first to prevent inappropriate images
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion