So is it just me... (Discussion about the future of PC Gaming) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your my wife now.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2013-06-05, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

So is it just me... (Discussion about the future of PC Gaming)

Is it just me, or does it look like PC Gaming is standing to make huge strides in the coming years?

Every journalist I follow when it comes to Gaming has openly said that the next gen consoles are a joke, and you are better off just saving to get yourself a new computer.

On that front, it's more or less no longer more economical to buy a Console to save money from PC Gaming, because between always on connections, inflated game prices, no backwards compatibility, etc. etc. it looks like having a computer is becoming the cheaper option.

Further every console seems to be trying to head in a new direction, that will alienate or isolate it from the core gaming demographic.

I don't know, I just kind of look at the future of PC gaming being better than it did 2 years ago.
Old 2013-06-05, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Re: So is it just me... (Discussion about the future of PC Gaming)

As I said here.

Different topic I know but can't be assed repeating myself.

360 had 4 gig ram when it came out. The Xbox nONE has only 8. Anyone serious about gaming on a pc (at least, in terms of making the most out of it before it needs being upgraded again) has at least 16. And the most hardcore of pc gamers have 32.

Console gamers HAVE to buy games to play anything at all. PC gamers don't.

Etc. It's all in the above link.

Also, PC games can be played full stop. Because of older emulators like dosbox and such. In most cases, consoles can't play older console games. That's REMOVING game content. Not adding to it. Say what you want console gamers about the newer games with fancy graphics and such, but just because a game is older it does NOT mean it's not worth playing. PS1 for example.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-05 at 07:12 PM.
Old 2013-06-06, 03:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Canaris
Contributor
General

well honestly the only thing screwing PC gaming at this point is PC game makers, releasing half finished products with a promise of rectifying it later.
You don't buy a car with half a engine and a promise they'll sort it out later.

I know it's massive headache and very hard on these types of products but they really need more regulation for game standards and jump up and down on those who grab the quick buck or euro and then never deliver.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-06-06, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
well honestly the only thing screwing PC gaming at this point is PC game makers, releasing half finished products with a promise of rectifying it later.

I know it's massive headache and very hard on these types of products but they really need more regulation for game standards and jump up and down on those who grab the quick buck or euro and then never deliver.
Uh-huh. So Starcraft, company of heroes and dungeon keeper don't count for anything then? There are bad games on any system. But there are also good.

Most console games end up on PC at some point (I can live without Halo). As for PC only games, there are PC games made by half assed asses and PC games made to be a game. You just see more of the former. The later is still there though, and when it makes itself known... *Points up to above mentioned games*
Old 2013-06-06, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Uh-huh. So Starcraft, company of heroes and dungeon keeper don't count for anything then? There are bad games on any system. But there are also good.

Most console games end up on PC at some point (I can live without Halo). As for PC only games, there are PC games made by half assed asses and PC games made to be a game. You just see more of the former. The later is still there though, and when it makes itself known... *Points up to above mentioned games*
I didn't even mention any game names or companies but if I buy a game that's touted to have loads of features and when you play it and find there is only a handful of the promised things, I usually get a full refund. To many more companies are going for the half assed approach these days just to suit their investors and accounts deptartment even though launching with only half a game usually means that game will flop.
MMO's are far the worse culprits for this carry on but more and more single & multiplayer games now do this. It's a trend that should be beaten down.
Those three games you mentioned were good but let me ask you if you played Star craft over and over was it the Vanilla game or Broodwars expansion version?

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-06-06, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Starcraft 1 with Brood War. One of the best storylines ever (The marines seem more human in the first one. In two... Eh. Too Dawn of war, I'm in heavy armor and can't be touched. Yawn).

But yea, multiplayer games do do it a lot more. But hey, most are free. So fair dos there I guess. There's not really an excuse for the ones being sold in shop except to review before you buy and well you know look on youtube (reason I didn't get AC3. Still too easy). With some common sense, the flops can be avoided. Unfortunately, flop games are, for the most part, games that try something new and fail. At that point, the failed games flop and any tried ideas go into the next game, hopefully to work out this time. That's how gaming goes.

For example, there's going to be something known as "true sight" in company of heroes 2. In other words, realistic field of view in a strategy game (as opposed to the normal circle field of vision). It's a new thing. Question is, will be make or break the game. Only by releasing it to the public will that be known.

Personal, I'm not big on Russians and German's without the US/UK thrown into the mix. But that's personal preference.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-06-06 at 09:01 AM.
Old 2013-06-06, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Yeah the early releases are kind of a nebulous move. Yeah, it allows you to see the game earlier, but your also seeing the game in an unfinished state, and your still having to pay for it.

Best example I can think of is Kenshi, a game I bought not too long ago. The game has no sound. At all. It's a bloody brilliant game, great title, I'm looking forward to playing it... but again, it has no sound.
Old 2013-06-10, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Assist
Contributor
Major

well, some of us do ;P
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge