Indar Lattice refinement: adding some links? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Geez, how many of these are there?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-26, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

Indar Lattice refinement: adding some links?

I've given the lattice a look over and although I haven't played across the entirety of Indar as of yet, my gut instinct suggests a number of these links would create just that bit of freedom some people are looking for, without removing the effect of the lattice itself.

Which of the links would you (dis)agree with? Why?

Any others or alternatives? Why?

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-26 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2013-05-26, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sifer2
Major

Re: Indar Lattice refinement: adding some links?

A lot of the links follow the actual ingame roads. I think it's intentional that they want ground armies advancing forward along them.

Just looking at your map I can say right away I don't agree with their being a link to the scarred mesa skydock like that. That place just get's abused to one hex hold Indar. That change just makes it available on demand to the side holding SW gate.

Beyond that I dunno. I think the developers who have access to the heat maps showing player activity will be in a better position to decide which places are too much of a bottleneck.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Assist
Contributor
Major

I like the amount of links in the game currently, if anything I'd remove a few but w/e.

I dislike how spawning mechanics currently work with the lattice. Really need to open up the spawning options.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
AThreatToYou
Major

If anything, we should be removing links, not adding them.
Hence I immediately disagree with this post.
Old 2013-05-26, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Personally the only addition I would add would be the introduction of a neutralizing mechanic. There may be a link or two that could be added (or removed as warrants) but the dev's would be able to tell by looking at their heat maps.
Thus far I've not really felt constricted by the lattice because even if we're currently 'stuck' I can always recall to the WG, push somewhere else on Indar until the opposing faction takes a base that opens up links for me to circle around them.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-27, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

As stated by others already, adding more links is a bad idea. It will spread out the fighting and return the game to the ghost-capping nonsense that the lattice system got away from.
Old 2013-05-27, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Surprised that you of all people would be suggesting this Figment. Adding the links that you suggest would be a step backwards towards the old Hex system.

I personally think that they have got the lattice about right.

Edit - about the only one that I would consider would be link O. Difficult to advance past Regent's Rock if the Research Lab (?) to the NW is in enemy hands, and you can't attack it directly.

Last edited by psijaka; 2013-05-27 at 03:51 AM.
Old 2013-05-27, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
I dislike how spawning mechanics currently work with the lattice. Really need to open up the spawning options.
Yeah the spawning system needs a bit of work.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

No, Fig, I don't really think the links need to be reworked at least for now.

But I am only completely against two: Scarred Mesa and Quartz Ridge are way too hard to take to be facilities that open up several links.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2013-05-27 at 05:10 AM.
Old 2013-05-27, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I wouldn't mind having some air-lines on the map. Atm. the lines are based around the ground, not the air. An example of an air-line would be the one Figment made from Scarred Mesa to Highlands Substation. Or from Howling pass to Rashnu Tower.
They would allow a faction to circumvent an area designed to deny ground forces entry. Which would also mean that you shouldn't be able to just move armor to the point with the air-line.

Not sure how that would play out, but could be an interesting thing to add in.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-05-27 at 05:52 AM.
Old 2013-05-27, 06:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

NO more links.

Right now its already too much like it doesnt have links.

There should be only about 18 bases on the lattice system. And only they should count towards continent control and resources.
Old 2013-05-27, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I wouldn't mind having some air-lines on the map. Atm. the lines are based around the ground, not the air. An example of an air-line would be the one Figment made from Scarred Mesa to Highlands Substation. Or from Howling pass to Rashnu Tower.
They would allow a faction to circumvent an area designed to deny ground forces entry. Which would also mean that you shouldn't be able to just move armor to the point with the air-line.

Not sure how that would play out, but could be an interesting thing to add in.
Pretty much. Areas behind such lines could be potential para assaults. They would be a lot easier to handle as there would be far less such options than in the full hex system.

Most of these lines complete triangles, maintaining choke points, but allowing for a bypass sneak attack.

I've also put in a few very short ones, which are basically down to the "nearest base" thing, which still maintain a front, but may require a large circling to get behind the other (takes much longer than if it were a direct link around).

As you well know, I'm all for more defensibility and backland defense, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be ways to circumvent some of the chokepoints for variety.

Now, if the warpgates were capturable, the lines near the warpgates would be superfluous, but as is, those lines trap people near the warpgate with nowhere to go but back.
Old 2013-05-27, 10:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Nah. No to more links really.

Remember that at some point, we will get the whole global lattice thing. At that point you will see actual 2-way fights on continents. I already fear that the current indar lattice may be to much links for two-ways, but that remains to be seen.

In any way, no to more links. rather the revival of the NTU, to allow back capping, while also giving attackers a different way to get the defender out of the base (by sieging it for quite some time. )
Old 2013-05-27, 11:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrMak
Sergeant Major

Also some of your proposed links make no bloody sense. Scared Mesa one especialy.
Old 2013-05-27, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Nah. No to more links really.

Remember that at some point, we will get the whole global lattice thing. At that point you will see actual 2-way fights on continents. I already fear that the current indar lattice may be to much links for two-ways, but that remains to be seen.
Well, most of the extra links cover terrain that should be within grasp of defenders anyway. Some options to go around are currently pretty long round abouts, where those in the south for instance are not.

Some however, cover links between which there is fighting anyway due to proximity. Take the connections near Saurva and Tawrich.

The majority of the extra links complete triangles though, which maintains the most important chokepoints, but grants some bypass routes (which can be protected, of course).

Some of the longer ones are more to do with long range cap attempts, which is typical Gal drop stuff as chip already noticed.

In any way, no to more links. rather the revival of the NTU, to allow back capping, while also giving attackers a different way to get the defender out of the base (by sieging it for quite some time. )
Well yes.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion