Simplicity vs Depth - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You wish it was for dinner.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-04, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Re: Simplicity vs Depth

In tandem with Xyntech's post, I think it needs to be said that we should accept that Planetside, like any other FPS, is going to pull concepts that work from games before it. As he said, we can compare a few things between Planetside and another game, but we can't make sweeping comparisons. Planetside isn't going to suddenly become CoD, BF, or Halo because of a regen mechanic, even if it is the more believable shielding of Halo origin.

It's simple in that a player can get in and perform any role they want, and not have to fiddle with unnecessary mechanics that detract from actually fighting. It's deep in that the skill trees open up more options to custom tailor their chosen method of play to just the way they like it.

And then there's the combined arms, where decision making and team work comes into play more than it ever could in any other game, simply because no other game has actually matched Planetside in scale.
Old 2012-01-05, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Ironically, no other game has matched PS1, yet PS2 seems to be gunning t exceed PS1's numbers per continent.

I wonder if any new dynamics will unfold that make PS1 look like a 64 man server in comparison.
Old 2012-01-05, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Ironically, no other game has matched PS1, yet PS2 seems to be gunning t exceed PS1's numbers per continent.
World War II Online has held the record for 10 years now, exceeding PS1. The game has a single zone about 50 times larger than all the PS1 conts combined, and can support 10,000 players. I think the most they've ever had playing at the same time is about 2000, but that's still more than PS1. So yes, there are games that have matched or exceeded PS1 in scale, but WWIIOL was never quite as popular as PS1.

Last edited by Quovatis; 2012-01-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 2012-01-05, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
deltase
Corporal

The problem is not the complexity but how well the control and the gameplay and control over what you are doing are done. For example, on a complex semi-realistic warfare mod i felt like i didn't have control over what i'm doing. The entire time i played it i could not stop thinking of if the fell of the game was a bit more fluid and organic sort of way that just and the controls were a bit more responsive, the mod would be more fun than it is. On top of that in that mod you were thrown in this hard environment without being introduced to more simple things.
So i think PS2 needs some of the things in the game to be simple (and the controls as responsive as they could be) and when players start to get grasp of the gameplay then it should introduce them to more complex stuff. For me it's not enjoyable if i feel restrained, although i learn fast this can't be said to many other people.
Old 2012-01-05, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
World War II Online has held the record for 10 years now, exceeding PS1. The game has a single zone about 50 times larger than all the PS1 conts combined, and can support 10,000 players. I think the most they've ever had playing at the same time is about 2000, but that's still more than PS1. So yes, there are games that have matched or exceeded PS1 in scale, but WWIIOL was never quite as popular as PS1.
I always heard that WWII online was kinda sparse, so even though it had huge player support, I didn't think it really ever lived up to it's potential. I'm not a player though, so I may be off base here.

I wouldn't say current Planetside holds a candle to past Planetside, even though they can support almost the same number of players.

How many players did WWIIOL have fighting in a single area? How often did it happen? I was being more general, but this is what I meant to get at.
Old 2012-01-11, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
super pretendo
First Sergeant

I think the AMS thing is particularly relevant; it makes planetside seem like a real war that can actually be disrupted strategically, not just a grindfest.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion