How Big Are The Maps? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Idle hands tend to lead to the genitals
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-09, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
cellinaire
Captain

Re: How Big Are The Maps?

I'd be really worried only if all continents in PS2 have the same size. (which is highly not likely )
Old 2012-01-09, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Straws
Corporal

Even if the maps end up being smaller than the ones we had in PS1, they would actually be bigger since we, as players, will be fighting over more than just facilities, towers, bridges (which serve as chokepoints) and the brief moments we experience on the main routes between facilities, towers and warp gates.
Old 2012-01-09, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Raymac
Brigadier General

^ This. In Planetside, we would just skip over large portions of the maps and really only fight most of the time within the SOI of a base. The rare occasions when we did fight out in the field, it was mainly because the 2 bases were nearby each other much like those Dagda v Gwydion fights on Forseral.

It sounds like the PS2 maps are going to feel much bigger because of the incentives to actually use more of the terrain.

Old 2012-01-09, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Straws
Corporal

Which reminds me, please please please, say 'no' hot-dropping (or similar features), or at least give it a significant cooldown. Travelling from front to front should be meaningful. Convenience is important, but not to the detrimental effect that PS, and pretty much every MMO eventually works towards.

Last edited by Straws; 2012-01-09 at 11:57 AM.
Old 2012-01-09, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
acosmo
Sergeant Major

the distance you traveled from staging area to combat zone made the actual combat feel much more significant.
not all downtime was bad in my opinion. i think downtime gave players time to socialize and chat before getting into the action. the fact that anything could go wrong at any point also made it just feel all the more real.
downtime where you got to listen to the hum of the engine and look at the surrounding scenery and wait for your pilot/driver to reach the combat area was definitely a planetside moment.
Old 2012-01-09, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
the distance you traveled from staging area to combat zone made the actual combat feel much more significant.
not all downtime was bad in my opinion. i think downtime gave players time to socialize and chat before getting into the action. the fact that anything could go wrong at any point also made it just feel all the more real.
downtime where you got to listen to the hum of the engine and look at the surrounding scenery and wait for your pilot/driver to reach the combat area was definitely a planetside moment.
+1

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-01-09, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Quantumplation
Private

So much this. When I heard that Galaxy dropships would be respawn points and even potentially have equipment terminals, the vision that came to mind is being able to, in a limited way, walk around inside the galaxy as it flew over the terrain. The amount of atmosphere this would create as you flew to your destination, with minor flight turbulence, etc. as you waited in hushed silence to jump out of the galaxy... The thought of that kind of atmosphere sent shivers up and down my spine.
Old 2012-01-09, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

+1

I agree. "Downtime" and "travel" have a place in the Game because we are MMO. MMO's attempt to create a dynamic living world and Travel and downtime are a part of such a world. The key is to find a balance. Have enough immersion but at the same time keep the game fun and engaging.
Old 2012-01-09, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Infektion
Sergeant Major

oh yea 500mi^2 back in 1999! I LOVE Asherons Call... played it 2000-2010, since I was 13 to 23, on and off like a bad girlfriend.

Asheron's Call, the only TRUE PLAYERKILLER game.
Rell Hell + OG Rell Hell | Harvestgain. Griefer extraordinaire.

Last edited by Infektion; 2012-01-09 at 03:47 PM.
Old 2012-01-10, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
oh yea 500mi^2 back in 1999! I LOVE Asherons Call... played it 2000-2010, since I was 13 to 23, on and off like a bad girlfriend.

Asheron's Call, the only TRUE PLAYERKILLER game.
Rell Hell + OG Rell Hell | Harvestgain. Griefer extraordinaire.

Oh, so many fond memories whenever I hear any news related Asheron's Call..
(I only played Asheron's Call 2, though. Someday I also want to play the first one because I don't care about graphics if the game is fun and atmospheric enough.)

And I have to agree with acosmo. There at least has to be good portion of empty, open spaces to run around and just explore in any mmo, IMO. (oh and how much I liked Dark and Light... well the overall gameplay, polish and graphic were not good when it was alive)
Old 2012-01-11, 07:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Chug
Private

Acosmo said it all
Old 2012-01-11, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Raymac
Brigadier General

Yeah, not all downtime is the same. Some are awesome, and some are not so much. There is a difference between the downtime defending a hack on a continent where you have a 9:1 pop advantage and the downtime as you are headed to a hot drop zone....like this:

Old 2012-01-12, 01:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
cellinaire
Captain

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Yeah, not all downtime is the same. Some are awesome, and some are not so much. There is a difference between the downtime defending a hack on a continent where you have a 9:1 pop advantage and the downtime as you are headed to a hot drop zone....like this:

Band of Brothers - Normandy Jump EP 2 - YouTube
Ditto.

(and I personally hate game-worlds which is too much jam-packed with objects, details, and contents in tight spaces. I personally prefer game-worlds having some portion of open, void places(with no special purpose or fancy lore attached to it)).
Old 2012-01-12, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Miir
Malvision

If the maps are 8km by 8km in size. Anyone care to guess how high the box is on the Z axis?

Do you think it will be an 8km x 8km x 8km playable space?
Old 2012-01-12, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post

Band of Brothers - Normandy Jump EP 2 - YouTube
yo, I f*ck*ng love band of brothers. Got all DVD collection, and this just inspired me to watch them all tonight...

but anyways, 8x8 km is still massive, 1 km = .6 miles, so technically, it's 5x5miles estimate, to roughly make a 25mile^2 map, obviously all of it wont be of use, but even 17-20 miles of actual playable land is more than enough.

Last edited by Infektion; 2012-01-12 at 11:24 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion