How to into planetside 1 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Paranoia killed the gamer
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-06-02, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
SirPanfried
Private

How to into planetside 1

Hey fellas,
New player here, came from planetside 2. I heard this game is free and figured I'd give it a go. There's a lot I like about it. I like the bigger variety of weapon types as opposed to the "choose your own assault rifle" style of PS2. PS2 Imo isn't a bad game, it's just that it feels like "space battlefield".

But enough on that. I'm starting this thread because I am god awful at planetside 1 and wanted to get better at it. I lose like 90 percent of gun battles. I have a general understanding of how this game works as far as theory goes but not in practice. And leveling up is awful slow at times for me. It feels like a vicious cycle of "can't level up because I'm bad, I'm bad because I can't level up."

So, any tips, tricks, or pointers to help me on? They would be appreciated and I'd certainly be interested in playing this game more. Thanks.
Old 2014-06-02, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: How to into planetside 1

Originally Posted by SirPanfried View Post
Hey fellas,
New player here, came from planetside 2. I heard this game is free and figured I'd give it a go. There's a lot I like about it. I like the bigger variety of weapon types as opposed to the "choose your own assault rifle" style of PS2. PS2 Imo isn't a bad game, it's just that it feels like "space battlefield".

But enough on that. I'm starting this thread because I am god awful at planetside 1 and wanted to get better at it. I lose like 90 percent of gun battles. I have a general understanding of how this game works as far as theory goes but not in practice. And leveling up is awful slow at times for me. It feels like a vicious cycle of "can't level up because I'm bad, I'm bad because I can't level up."

So, any tips, tricks, or pointers to help me on? They would be appreciated and I'd certainly be interested in playing this game more. Thanks.
I'd say players starting out are on more of a level playing field in ps1 than in ps2.

Anyway. Here are two starting tip.

1. Always carry 2-3 medpacks, put the activation key somewhere really handy and hit it whenever you take damage. If you're in a 1v1 you can bet your opponent will be doing that.
2. Always move around in third person and switch to first person for the actual fighting bit. Third person allows you to see around corners and to know whether it's safe or whether there is someone there that you can kill.
3. (I know I said two tips and this is the third) use third person at corners to ambush enemies and remember any corner may well have an enemy behind it waiting to ambush you.
Old 2014-06-02, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

Crouch for better accuracy, with Gauss, tap fire for cone of fire control (at most three shot bursts). Cycler can do five shot bursts before it blooms. Try to keep the cone of fire at a minimum while rapidly tap-firing without simply holding down the button after the initial burst.

Use Sweeper within 15m range. Use Third Person to time your attack when your enemy is at perfect engagement range (remember, if you have a range weapon, try to make your enemy stay at range: pull back while firing in a tower for instance.

A lot of the gunplay is about making your opponent miss, as much as it is about you landing a hit, hence why a lot of people strafe rapidly with AD-AD button presses.
Old 2014-06-03, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Crouch for better aim.

Use cover.

Plan where to put your certs. Do you want to be stealth and hack stuff or heavy and blowing stuff up or a heavy hacker or a driver or a medic? Personally, I always have the heavy suit (2 weapons is just too good an advantage). Penetrator with AP rounds can down MAXES in a clip and fire rockets and more importantly jammers (so know your weapons) and cycler is good for accurate and suppressing fire at range. I also have infiltrator suit, AMS, engeener (glue gun) and phantom (stealth, yay). I'm a jack of all trades I guess. But you can decide if you want bigger guns, tanks or better gadets in a certain field.

Use surpressive fire (It will keep their heads down even if you don't kill them when they come out).

Move WITH people. The best thing I like about this game is that people move up as a single unit and hit the enemy in one solid blow instead of zerging one on one (ala, PS2). Which means never ever over extend unless you're an infiltrator. And if you ARE an infiltrator, it's all about small movements when crouched to not be seen (and staying still when they look your way).

Last edited by Taramafor; 2014-06-03 at 01:09 AM.
Old 2014-06-03, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Skittles
Sergeant

Use gold ammo. Carry 10 canisters of repair juice/med juice at all times. Regardless of you can use it or not. Its actually better if you cant. It creates a certain "mystic" about you that others find fascinating and undeniably magnetic.
Old 2014-06-03, 04:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Figment
Lieutenant General

Also. Always listen to Skittles.

Also, a certain other person is talking about the Pwnisher (Punisher for new people).

Last edited by Figment; 2014-06-03 at 04:28 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion