Chat options: text to sound, audio effects and more - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Winning!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-20, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Traak
Colonel

Chat options: text to sound, audio effects and more

A general chat overhaul would be good.

You know how there was /sitrep. Why not /downrep where the CRX gets to chat to only the CRX-1s. THAT was missing, for certain.

In fact, what if global is ONLY to the CR4s? And CR4s could global to CR3s, that were within 1000m.

CR3s to CR2s within 500m. Broadcast anywhere, SOI or not, within 300m

CR2s to CR1s within 100m. Broadcast anywhere, SOI or not, within 200m

CR1s have something like broadcast, but its only good for 100m, in and out of base SOI.

And, enemy EE or EW types can tap into enemy broadcasts, because, after all, they ARE broadcasts.

Give the support/slinky types another thing to do, and give us another thing to be conscious of. Then we could employ jamming to screw that up, etc. etc.

Further, Make chat stuff broadcast to friendlies (and enemies with the EW certs) AUDIBLE. So I don't have to be staring at my chat screen to see "incoming max units" even if the person saying it is far beyond normal earshot.

Further, have our sound settings to broadcasts from higher-ups come in the left ear (and out the other haha) and messages from our subordinates come in the right ear, and we can mix our sound card settings to have them appear to be coming from above, below, in our head, under our feet, whatever.

Earphone people already do this to give us virtual surround (by mimicking the different tonal qualities of sound as modified by our ears, which is one reason we HAVE ears) it is not too much of a leap to make it work and select "where" we hear stuff from. We could elect to have the CSR's voice sound like a booming echoing command from on top of Mount Sinai, or a muffled squeaky suggestion from under our feet.

There is nowhere near enough being done with sound in games.
Old 2011-07-21, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Chat options: text to sound, audio effects and more

Text to chat in multiplayer is a horrible idea.

Old 2011-07-21, 01:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Traak
Colonel

Re: Chat options: text to sound, audio effects and more

Ah, I'm not talking about text to voice for all things someone can say.

I'm talking about hearing the voice macros, no matter how far you were from your squadmates, in a way that lets you hear who they are from (or not, you could choose the option) so you wouldn't have to be looking at the chat screen.

Not text-to-talk with the Microsoft Bob voice.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault