Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Brought to you by cheese in a can
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
IceJudge
Private

Misc Info
Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating

I've been looking through PlanetSide 2 videos and I haven't found anything indicating an option to select a stationary mini-map opposed to the rotating mini-map/radar. Personally, I prefer static, especially in games that require communication as it is easier to reference directions for me instead of having to constantly figure out which way the map is oriented by checking the scrolling compass similar to that in Oblivion/Skyrim/Call of Duty.

Anyone heard anything from SoE regarding an option to switch between the two and what are you guys' thoughts/preferences regarding the two?
Old 2012-07-20, 02:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
TR Oakley
Private

Re: Static Mini-Map/Compass vs Rotating

I much prefer static minimaps. They are supposed to be a quick reference of direction at a short glance, rotating maps often require two glances.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kyros
Corporal

I prefer rotating maps as they allow you to orient yourself faster in regards to the enemies marked on it. It might take a second or two more to orient yourself with the land but I find knowing where your enemy is in relation to yourself be more important.
Old 2012-07-20, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Winfernal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
I prefer rotating maps as they allow you to orient yourself faster in regards to the enemies marked on it. It might take a second or two more to orient yourself with the land but I find knowing where your enemy is in relation to yourself be more important.
Originally Posted by TR Oakley View Post
I much prefer static minimaps. They are supposed to be a quick reference of direction at a short glance, rotating maps often require two glances.
This is why it's usually an option in games. It's about personal preference
Old 2012-07-20, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kyros
Corporal

Although now that I think about it, whether or not to rotate a map also relies on the detail of the minimap itself, and a few other factors, like whether you're a dot or an arrow...but yeah in the end i suppose it's just personal preference.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
TheApoc
Corporal

would love a static map
Old 2012-07-20, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sikee Atric
Private

Personally I prefer a static map, with a compass North on it.... In this game it'll be much easier with that reference to relay orders and get the squad all going in the right direction.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
TAA
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sikee Atric View Post
Personally I prefer a static map, with a compass North on it.... In this game it'll be much easier with that reference to relay orders and get the squad all going in the right direction.

Absolutely this! I hate rotating compass minimaps. Fixed for me all the way.
Old 2012-07-20, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Covent
Private

Static map for sure, I hate trying to give quick orders when using a rotating map as you'll have to stop for a second to check which way you are actually looking.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-20, 03:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Static or rotating minimap should be a setting. Should always have a rotating compass though.

Compass needs have bearing and be visible in a convenient location on the HUD for easy navigation.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
kadrin
Sergeant

I'm all for options, people have their preferences, though I do find it strange the people who like static minimaps.

With the rotating map, top is always forward, so seeing anything on the left or right sides you automatically know which way to start turning your mouse, and when giving directions, I find I'm usually pointing in the direction I'm trying to give, and only ever need to look at the top to see my current orientation.

With the static map, giving directions is about as easy I guess, as all you have to see is where your arrow is pointing, but checking what's on your left and right is problematic. Again with rotating, left side of the minimap is always your left, and right is always your right, but with static you first have to determine which ways are left and right by looking at where your arrow is pointing then adjusting. Your left could be the top, the bottom, the right or the left on minimap, and I think that the little time it takes to get your bearings then orientate the direction you really want to look (usually that red dot that just got real close to you suddenly) really can make the difference between responding in time to the threat and staring at the respawn screen.

But to each his own I guess.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Firearms
Sergeant

Needs to be an option.

Static for men, marines and scouts.
Orientation for girls.
Stand in the map for Joey from friends.

EDIT: Oh, to clarify my points

Men, marines and scouts don't turn a map upside down to navigate. Girls do. Joey stands in the map. kthxbai.

Last edited by Firearms; 2012-07-20 at 06:13 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rhyfelwrr
Private

Put in an option for both please?
Old 2012-07-20, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
Needs to be an option.

Static for men, marines and scouts.
Orientation for girls.
Stand in the map for Joey from friends.

EDIT: Oh, to clarify my points

Men, marines and scouts don't turn a map upside down to navigate. Girls do. Joey stands in the map. kthxbai.
Haha, you are so right, I didn't think of that before but women like to turn the maps around like it was a jigzaw piece.

Originally Posted by Kyros View Post
Are you a female??? Jokes aside, I prefer static maps since then it is easier to align with the terrain as you said. I think that due to this it is also easier to see where enemies are with a fixed map since then you see exactly where in the terrain they are, like if they are hiding behind the rock in front of you or in the house to the left etc. So it isn't really slower as long as you are aware about what the map shows, you just need to utilize the landmarks available to you instead of only orienting from yourself.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-20 at 07:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Emperor
Corporal

Static.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion