Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now avalable in Strawberry and Lemon flavors!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-15, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Majik
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Re: Brainstorming: VS MAX Special Abilities

They need to make the MAX hover the same as a magrider. Imaging mags flanked by maxes approaching over a lake :-)
Old 2012-03-15, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Triple A
Private

How about a hover that sort of acts like a slow fall(sorry for the WoW reference). This would allow the VS MAX to jump from higher elevations and essentially glide into areas that are most likely not accessible to other MAXs. For instance here you can see an elevated opening that a MAX could run out of and glide down to the roof of the lower building but would still be elevated from the main fight or put it in a better position to take out air. This is a little better angle of what I'm talking about.
It would also potentially make it so that if there is a huge hill on one side of the base the MAXs could still get on the ramparts if they timed things right. The capacitor idea would definitely be involved where all "energy" is being devoted to the flight stability while active and the hover ability would have a top flight time of say 10 seconds. (A very vulnerable 10 seconds for sure)

Last edited by Triple A; 2012-03-15 at 10:29 AM.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Purple
Sergeant Major

how about letting them crouch?
Old 2012-03-15, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Triple A View Post
How about a hover that sort of acts like a slow fall(sorry for the WoW reference). This would allow the VS MAX to jump from higher elevations and essentially glide into areas that are most likely not accessible to other MAXs. For instance here you can see an elevated opening that a MAX could run out of and glide down to the roof of the lower building but would still be elevated from the main fight or put it in a better position to take out air. This is a little better angle of what I'm talking about.
It would also potentially make it so that if there is a huge hill on one side of the base the MAXs could still get on the ramparts if they timed things right. The capacitor idea would definitely be involved where all "energy" is being devoted to the flight stability while active and the hover ability would have a top flight time of say 10 seconds. (A very vulnerable 10 seconds for sure)
I dunno, It's really passive compared to what the NC (probably a shield) and TR (probably an offensive ability) will be/are/have been. The ability to float from a high ledge is extremely situational compared to lockdown or shield.

I could see gliding or falling slowly being a component of their ability, but only as a larger part of hover-dashing or whatever what have you.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

How about rolls and side-jumps ? The VS max looks anime enough to be played like ninjas. Plus it's almost like a teleport but without the "OMG it disappeared!" part.

And we have to do something with those reactors.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Juniata
Private

If the VS MAX has the ability to fly, similar to PS1, then restrict its ability to shoot while in the air. I never understood why that was included in PS1.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Juniata View Post
If the VS MAX has the ability to fly, similar to PS1, then restrict its ability to shoot while in the air. I never understood why that was included in PS1.
Because it still lets them get on roofs and whatnot currently reserved for light assault. Letting Vanu Max's up top would be op when the other empires have only light assault.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Juniata
Private

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Because it still lets them get on roofs and whatnot currently reserved for light assault. Letting Vanu Max's up top would be op when the other empires have only light assault.
That's not what I'm referring to, but I can understand what you're saying.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
RNFB
First Sergeant

I don't understand this.

Just because I'm on a roof doesn't mean the enemies can't shoot me, and the jets don't have to be as strong as LA's so getting to a really high spot would take time and footholds.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
I don't understand this.

Just because I'm on a roof doesn't mean the enemies can't shoot me, and the jets don't have to be as strong as LA's so getting to a really high spot would take time and footholds.
From what the videos showed it does mean in places no one on the ground can shoot you. Jet strength doesn't really matter because it will still happen.

You have 10 AI Max's up top against 10 LA up top + small amounts of fire from the ground. Who wins?

This is besides the point already as the devs have stated that this won't be in the game.
Old 2012-03-15, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
RNFB
First Sergeant

From what the videos showed it does mean in places no one on the ground can shoot you
There are still places above me where people will be able to shoot me, and if I want to shoot people below me I have to expose myself to them.

Even if I go all the way up to the highest point on a base, there will be aircraft firing rockets at me.

Jumpjets do not allow you to reach places where you are invincible... if I can shoot at people, they can shoot at me.

If enemy LA doesn't want me on their roofs, they'll need to tell their HA brothers to do their jobs and point their heavy weapons at me... or they could simply fly away from me with their superior jets, up onto higher turf that I can't reach.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

There are still places above me where people will be able to shoot me, and if I want to shoot people below me I have to expose myself to them.

Even if I go all the way up to the highest point on a base, there will be aircraft firing rockets at me.

Jumpjets do not allow you to reach places where you are invincible... if I can shoot at people, they can shoot at me.

If enemy LA doesn't want me on their roofs, they'll need to tell their HA brothers to do their jobs and point their heavy weapons at me... or they could simply fly away from me with their superior jets, up onto higher turf that I can't reach.
Just because you can be shot at doesn't mean you can't just back up out of fire. Having a MAX choosing when an where to engage is a problem for those smaller than him, because that is supposed to be the disadvantage of choosing MAX.

Even if you can run away you did nothing to stop the max, he is free to crash the top door of the base because all you could do was run away from him.

If you played EvE this situation would be comparable to pre nerf nanophoons, except without even crazy speed interceptors able to keep him down.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
CutterJohn
Colonel

After 20 minutes of thinking, this is the only new thing I could come up with that wasn't retarded, gimmicky, or OP.

Weapon morph. Their AI weapon temporarily starts shooting like their AV weapon, the AV weapon like the AA weapon, and the AA weapon like the AI weapon. Or the reverse. VS always had the select fire modes and general theme of adaptability, so this would be fitting. Plus the higher tech can explain that they can do this. And its definitely different than the other empire stuff. It would consume cap while morphed, and would revert to normal when cap runs out.

Bonus idea: If MAXs have run modes still, VS should make use of the wing thingies and hover as their autorun. Hovering over water would use cap up, and they would sink when it ran out(Note: No max should run out of air underwater).
Old 2012-03-15, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
RNFB
First Sergeant

Just because you can be shot at doesn't mean you can't just back up out of fire
I can back up out of fire almost anywhere. If I'm on a roof, it would be HARDER because the people above me have clear shots at me

Even if you can run away you did nothing to stop the max, he is free to crash the top door of the base because all you could do was run away from him.
LA shouldn't even try to deal with MAX in the first place, that's HA's job.

Also keep in mind that a MAX breaking through enemy lines and hopping up to places would have no medic support, they would be easier targets than if they stayed back with medics and engineers.

A squad of HA could probably take out a bunch of roof-hopping MAXes no problem, because unlike LA they could not easily fly off somewhere safer fast enough.
Old 2012-03-15, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

A squad of HA could probably take out a bunch of roof-hopping MAXes no problem, because unlike LA they could not easily fly off somewhere safer fast enough.
No need, because the dev's already took care of roof hopping max's by confirming no jump ability for VS MAX's :P
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion