A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Watch out for those MLWA guys...they're just weird.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-15, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrSmegz
Sergeant

A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet?

My Brother in law is getting his computer rebuilt for his Xmas present form me this year. He has expressed some interest in playing PS2 with me and was considering getting him an A10-5800K APU.

His monitor is only 1600x900, and he wont really need any eye candy. He is not really a hardcore player but just wants to fool around with some games, even if he has to run the games at 720p.

TLDR: I was just curious if anybody has tried the A10 (by itself, no Xfire) and what their experience was, what settings you could play at, and if it was even playable?
Old 2012-11-15, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: A10-5800K APU, Anybody Tried it yet?

I read on the official forums that a player was playing the game on the laptop version of the 5800K. No idea on what settings, but he made it sound playable.
Old 2012-11-19, 08:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Warruz
Sergeant

By itself i imagine it would be unplayable while i have not tired the A10 series i have played with the A8, the higher end laptop versions come with a discrete card also that you crossfire with the APU when you need the power.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...k,3224-17.html
Skyrim benchmarks

The real question is do they have a graphics card as of now and what is it?

Last edited by Warruz; 2012-11-19 at 08:15 AM.
Old 2012-11-22, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Yep, it's not up it alone. I managed to make the game run the game couple of times yseterday but it crashes soon. Or it could be something with Wine since i'm on ubuntu or it could be the game itself... but i doubt it. There are some weird flickers on the main screen so it's gotta to be that this integrated card can't manage it on it's own (talking about low settings of course).

TLDR: not playable.

p.s. also if anyone knows what would work good for ps2 with this card. i heard that crossfire can behave badly on some games and become a nuisance rather than good thing.... but still it seems a waste not to use that potential if it can work fine. what discrete card would you recomend with it (low mid end class)?

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 07:07 AM.
Old 2012-11-22, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Yep, it's not up it alone. I managed to make the game run the game couple of times yseterday but it crashes soon. Or it could be something with Wine since i'm on ubuntu or it could be the game itself... but i doubt it. There are some weird flickers on the main screen so it's gotta to be that this integrated card can't manage it on it's own (talking about low settings of course).

TLDR: not playable.

p.s. also if anyone knows what would work good for ps2 with this card. i heard that crossfire can behave badly on some games and become a nuisance rather than good thing.... but still it seems a waste not to use that potential if it can work fine. what discrete card would you recomend with it (low mid end class)?
No attempts with Windows at all? I read the laptop version was playable is all, even Llano was and I think Trinity would do at least as well.

For crossfire if you are using that 5800K, I think the top card you can use crossfire with is the 6670. No idea on how good the APU crossfire is either or if it even supports PS2. Sounds like normal crossfire does now though.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
No attempts with Windows at all? I read the laptop version was playable is all, even Llano was and I think Trinity would do at least as well.

For crossfire if you are using that 5800K, I think the top card you can use crossfire with is the 6670. No idea on how good the APU crossfire is either or if it even supports PS2. Sounds like normal crossfire does now though.

I was playing w/ my i5-3570K yesterday, shut it down to 2 cores, and was playing w/ the CPU clock while in game. I have a EVGA GTX670 FTW card running at 1440x900, on medium settings.

On two cores the game didn't really start to become unplayable until i was under about 2.7ghz. At 2.5ghz it was pretty painful. Since you can get a Pentium 3.0ghz SB CPU for around $75, somebody is probably better off spending the extra $50 on a 6670 GDDR5 with dedicated ram, (or buying a used GPU from a forum) than you are getting an APU.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post

Nope, if it's a system thing then someone will surely figure out how to set it up properly sooner or later. don't have much time to game anyway so i can wait for awhile. perhaps laptop version had installed discrete gpu along with the one in apu (they usually do).

yes it says on the cpu box that 6570 and 6670 are optimal but perhaps even stronger gpus from 6000 series can work with it. i will search that up...

edit: actually my crashes were cause by wine (menu error described here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/i...th-wine.47255/) so the integreated gpu might work fine after all. i will try to set it up properly and report back if i suceed...

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-11-22, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: Update

I managed to fix the wine issue and set the prefix correctly and now game is playable. On first launch however there were some gpu issues on the main selection screen and game froze after the first launch - it showed blue sky and few rocks on it and then it got stuck. however on second try i got spawned in a base and could move around, shoot, access terminals etc... haven't done any fighting yet (i was playing for like 5 mins anyway just to make sure it works). after that i logged out to main screen and there were no more weird gpu relic flashes that showed earlier (I guess it needed some time to warm up or something), this was all on lowest setting ofc. anyway i will report back after testing it more (will try higher settings too) but so far it seems it's works.

tldr: playable!

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-22 at 06:41 PM.
Old 2012-11-22, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrSmegz
Sergeant

I managed to fix the wine issue and set the prefix correctly and now game is playable. On first launch however there were some gpu issues on the main selection screen and game froze after the first launch - it showed blue sky and few rocks on it and then it got stuck. however on second try i got spawned in a base and could move around, shoot, access terminals etc... haven't done any fighting yet (i was playing for like 5 mins anyway just to make sure it works). after that i logged out to main screen and there were no more weird gpu relic flashes that showed earlier (I guess it needed some time to warm up or something), this was all on lowest setting ofc. anyway i will report back after testing it more (will try higher settings too) but so far it seems it's works.

tldr: playable!

Lemme get this strait. So you are playing Planetside 2, Through Wine in Linux, on an A10-5800K running Hybrid Cross fire with a Video card and its playable?

Wow thats kind of impressive, but a few questions:
1) What Video card is it paired with 6570 or 6670?
2) Resolution you are playing at?
3) In game Quality settings?
Old 2012-11-23, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
Lemme get this strait. So you are playing Planetside 2, Through Wine in Linux
check

on an A10-5800K
check

running Hybrid Cross fire with a Video card
nope only a10's intergrated graphics but i have a feeling that it just barely managing it. on first time when you drop pod (at least that's what i guess it happens) it freezes. later it's fine. however everytime i get into main menu i see weird flashes across the screen, also in game there are some lighting issues (i really don't know if this i s a gpu thing or a game issue - one minute you seem to be in the shadow, you make few steps and it seems that you are in light). however the game seems to run well. and yeah when you logout from game (battle) to main screen everything seems to be fine there (no weird flashes that occur when you launch the game initially).

and its playable?
yep, i went to biolab on Esamir where there was some fighting and played for awhile with no aparent issues (except that weird lighting I was talking about). and yeah there is mouse problem but it's a wine thing and it's fixable (at least others wine users claim that if you play in windowed mode).

Wow thats kind of impressive, but a few questions:
1) What Video card is it paired with 6570 or 6670?
2) Resolution you are playing at?
3) In game Quality settings?
1 none
2) 1280 x1024
3) lowest

I plan however on buying a proper discrete gpu and everyone I have asked so far advised against going the xfire way with 6670. i was advised it's better to buy 7750 instead. i'm interested myself how would it work on hxfire with 6670, and don't have the money to allow myself to experiment like that.

edit: playing in windowed mode with emulated desktop solves all of the problems mentioned above (mouse stutter and weird flashes too)... so i guess it was problem with wine and not with gpu again.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-23 at 05:02 AM.
Old 2012-11-23, 05:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
MrSmegz
Sergeant

I am really shocked that its running that well considering AMD's driver history in Linux. I Imagine it would probably run even better in Windows 7 setup.

BTW if you have the money for an upgrade now... This would be a good time.

Old 2012-11-23, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

... so i guess it was problem with wine and not with gpu again.
I honestly have no idea why you'd blame the hardware first in this situation.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-11-23, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I am really shocked that its running that well considering AMD's driver history in Linux. I Imagine it would probably run even better in Windows 7 setup.

BTW if you have the money for an upgrade now... This would be a good time.
it actually wasn't peachy since i wasn't able to install ati/adm proprietary fglrx driver with post date upgrades successfully. i'm using the basic one right now, maybe taht's the source of that weird flashing.

thx for advice... maybe next month when i get my next paycheck...

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I honestly have no idea why you'd blame the hardware first in this situation.
Because it's new and i don't have no clue what it can or cannot do... also some guys said you could just scrape in on ps2 with this integrated graphics. with my previous card occurrances like that usually meant it was overheating... and right now lm-sensors don't work properly with my cpu (show 0 degrees when idle) so i can't tell what's happening in there.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-23 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2012-11-23, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Ailos
Contributor
Major

This thread has given me the idea to try running PS2 with my crossfired 5770s in Mint 14.

On a more direct note, I've run this game with a Llano A6-3450 and it's playable, so a Trinity A10 would probably be more than playable in Windows 7.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-11-24, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
This thread has given me the idea to try running PS2 with my crossfired 5770s in Mint 14.

On a more direct note, I've run this game with a Llano A6-3450 and it's playable, so a Trinity A10 would probably be more than playable in Windows 7.
With no discrete GPU? Only the integrated one?

**** ! i'VE JUST TESTED MY FPS AND IT'S PRETTY BAD actually. Around 15-20 or a bit more - that would mean unplayable in FPShooter terms. Seems Smegz was right if this readout is right, (I haven't played anything so long I don't even know what it means a good performance) It seems that i will have to install windows 7 again if that means getting a better performance. (and i've really tried to remain on the good side ) I will try installing Windows 7 on my old HDD and report back how it went

Anyway PS2 is the only game i'm interested in playing for the moment (and it was awhile when i played something as I said, almost a year or so) so it would interest me very much how the crossfire fares in PS2.

Ok, I will try installing Win7 on my old HDD and report back how it went.

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-11-24 at 03:41 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum