Can SOE confirm a cinematic for Planetside 2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU is back, as well as the admin's crappy taste in quotes.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-16, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Re: Can SOE confirm a cinematic for Planetside 2?

Better question is, what style trailer will Planetside 2 and SOE have cooked up for us. I personally enjoy trailers that tell a story rather than just show off different aspects. Vanilla Wow's trailer wasn't very compelling for me when compared with Wrath of the Lich King and the story of Arthas in a cinematic. Hoping the trailer shows the beginning of the war between the three factions! Also would be cool to see a orbital strike from space done right.
Old 2012-04-16, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Thoreaux
Corporal

I wrote up a quasi fan-fic post a while ago about how they could make a cool cinematic trailer by basically copy-pasting from any good WWII movie. I'd still like to see something like that, ideally something following one soldier through the mayhem of a single battle, and then drawing back and showing the overall scale of the conflict.

Regarding the Firefall trailer:

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I love how these fucking assholes attempt pander to us like we're so braindead we wouldn't appreciate characters unless the sexual elements are kicking us in the testicles.
Seconded.

The truly depressing thing is that there must be a market for that kind of behavior, if they're doing it. At least, having lots of T&A never seems to hurt a game, anyways, so they must think "why not?".
Old 2012-04-16, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
My god Firefall has the worst armor design I've ever seen.
It's not a realistic military sim game. It's a sci-fi arcade game. I think the newer COD and BF games are really killing people's imagination.
Old 2012-04-16, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
outsider
Private

SOE could make it a competition for the Beta community to make intro movies using the ingame engine. Top 3 gets some honking overpriced nvidia/alienware box and an ingame title.

It could probably set them back 10K-15K and the returns could be pretty big. Not just from the quality of the movies themselves, but also be in line with SOE's attempts to engage the community on a more people scale.

Would be nice if the hypothetical competition could be available to people outside of the US for a change too.

There'd be a few things that need to be ironed out, but I reckon it would still be feasible while maintaining the NDA and keeping Legal and Marketing happy.
Old 2012-04-16, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SgtMookie
Private

Oh I totally love the idea of having a cinematic trailer for all three empires. Here is just my idea of what the videos should look like and In my opinion this few items should be a must.
  • First things is to have 3 separate videos one for each empire, all from the soldier's view of the battle.
    • TR - Go with the idea of the war torn soldier, fighting to defend a outpost with his full platoon of soldiers (rexo and max units), show a short clip of NC sabotaging the outpost and then TR trying to recapture the control room(or wherever the NC sabotaged) back from the NC with no luck, then a clip of the VS dropping from the top and the TR being overwhelmed. Our soldier as a last resort runs through the tower to an OH SH!T switch which triggers the orbital strike destroying the outpost.
    • NC - rolling up to the outpost in tanks, while pinning the TR down, a small group of 5-10 soldiers (spec ops style) working together to infiltrate the outpost that the TR are defending, tactically pushing into the outpost fighting the TR at every turn but finally making it to the control room (or wherever) and assuming a defensive stance, holding the CC for the final moments, our NC player spots the TR guy making a break for the orbit strike switch and starts to chase him.
    • VS - A few from the air as Planes start flying in attacking the NC tanks outside the Outpost then PODs start dropping in from a Capital ship in space (or Galaxy) on top of the outpost, assaulting down the outpost to flank the TR that are fighting the NC, our VS player spots the TR guy making a break for the orbit strike switch and heads another way to cut him off.
    • with the same ending for all either with a knife fight and the TR hitting the orbit strike switch at the end. With a massive Orbital strike scene with everything being destroyed. Then the camera zooms up to a War Room map view showing the Continent map and all the other battles going on.
  • Gameplay footage is a must with a few CGI aspects
  • Show flying / driving / infantry scenes
  • Final shot should be a Orbital Strike blowing something up
  • Heavy marketing on Youtube, Cable TV, and on other media outlets.
Old 2012-04-16, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Raymac
Brigadier General

I think it would be pretty amazing to have a cinematic trailer except have this phrase at the beginning of the trailer:

"Actual game footage"

We've all seen the beauty of Forgelight. It can blow minds.

Old 2012-04-16, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

I hate those fake game videos .If you cant show a video with in game footage,then dont waste my time .
Old 2012-04-17, 01:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Hire who ever did that last Dust trailer... That thing was a work of art.

Last edited by CrystalViolet; 2012-04-17 at 01:21 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SUBARU View Post
I hate those fake game videos .If you cant show a video with in game footage,then dont waste my time .
This thread isn't about "what you want" its about what works and pulls in new users. I have failed to see any Planetside 2 video on YouTube that has more than 150 views.

That isn't good!

Edit, also I am a film goer, I love films. Me and my girlfriend have had cinema cards for over 8 years. So cinematics like these really get some folks blood flowing. And like many things around this site, "if you don't like it then don't watch it" You cant please everybody.

Anyway RadarX has confirmed it anyway,

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Every awesome game needs an awesome trailer. PlanetSide 2 will be an awesome game.
Ill hold you to this small piece of text mind Radar!

Edit 2** also if SOE/Higby/TRay/all release more gaming footage then the community (as it has shown) will make its own trailers and help promote PS2. So don't leave it to late SOE we want the game to be as big a success as you guys do!

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-04-17 at 02:08 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
This thread isn't about "what you want" its about what works and pulls in new users. I have failed to see any Planetside 2 video on YouTube that has more than 150 views.

That isn't good!
>google planetside 2 on youtube

Last edited by Bags; 2012-04-17 at 02:05 AM.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Its funny because one of those videos is his

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-04-17, 02:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

There's always 1 clever ass hole. Ok, I aint seen a Planetside 2 video with more than the FF video.

And btw, there is only >>>>>1<<<<< video in your list with more than 150,000, and thats a very old video. Your telling me that this is acceptable? FF's trailer has 400,000. And btw I'm not comparing it to the FF video, I'm just using that as a reference, as it has been out since 2010.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
Its funny because one of those videos is his
what does that have to do with anything? there is one video in Bag's picture that has more than 150.

And your totally missing my point.

Just have a look at the numbers and only the numbers.
Old 2012-04-17, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Bags
Lieutenant General

What's FF?
Old 2012-04-17, 02:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

What's FF?
Your kidding me right?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion