Is it normal to be scared of free to play? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pleese report speling erors
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-15, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
adripro
Private

Is it normal to be scared of free to play?

Hello everyone , as most people here am very excited with the announcement of Planetside 2.

The free to play model although has me thinking, will it be bad or good?
Could it be avoided?

We know of course not many MMOs survive nowadays with the P2P(pay to play) model and as such it would be a risky and as i see it unwanted move by most of the fans.

But what about charging once (like Guild wars 2) and after that you have full access , as well as the in game shop for micro transaction as already planned.
The buying price doesn't have to be huge , think indie games and 10$ price tags.

Why would i want to pay you say?It's not that i want to pay , it's just that i am afraid that the free to play attracts many people who "do not care" about the game and possibly want to enter to troll or whatever like this.

What do you guys think?
Old 2012-06-15, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: Is it normal to be scared of free to play?

It's been discussed many times and it is a fear many of us have, yes. But it'll also help ensure that PS2 doesn't become a wasteland after a few years.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-06-15, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bags
Lieutenant General

People "Enter to troll or whatever" on sub based games too.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dairian
Sergeant

I think its great other than one aspect. The threat of hackers....

You know people that don't have enough skill to kill anyone so they have to resort to any means necessary to make themselves feel better about themselves.

Last edited by Dairian; 2012-06-15 at 09:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
People "Enter to troll or whatever" on sub based games too.
Far less than they do in Free to play. Because, you know, for a sub, they have to pay to troll.

I'm also terrified of free to play games. Thats why i only ever tend to play MMOs like Eve, Darkfall, MO, UO etc etc.. that way, if someone is being a prick. You can kill him and take his stuff.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
jepaul
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by adripro View Post
Hello everyone , as most people here am very excited with the announcement of Planetside 2.

The free to play model although has me thinking, will it be bad or good?
Could it be avoided?

We know of course not many MMOs survive nowadays with the P2P(pay to play) model and as such it would be a risky and as i see it unwanted move by most of the fans.

But what about charging once (like Guild wars 2) and after that you have full access , as well as the in game shop for micro transaction as already planned.
The buying price doesn't have to be huge , think indie games and 10$ price tags.

Why would i want to pay you say?It's not that i want to pay , it's just that i am afraid that the free to play attracts many people who "do not care" about the game and possibly want to enter to troll or whatever like this.

What do you guys think?
I think u should scared and not play. jm2c
Old 2012-06-15, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

It is in $oe's best interests that we enjoy the game hacker and douche free or you simply will not purchase stuff

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-06-15 at 09:18 PM.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

I for one welcome our new free to play overlords.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Far less than they do in Free to play. Because, you know, for a sub, they have to pay to troll.

I'm also terrified of free to play games. Thats why i only ever tend to play MMOs like Eve, Darkfall, MO, UO etc etc.. that way, if someone is being a prick. You can kill him and take his stuff.
I've been trolled in WoW more than I have in League. I got trolled in almost every dungeon until level 60.

And since we're both basing this on anecdotes let's drop the condescension, mmk?
Old 2012-06-15, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ParisTeta
Sergeant

This is the first game im excited that its F2P. Because MMO without the MASSIV is not that fun, and thus PS1 slowly died, with F2P there is a chance to prevent that and still make it financial viable (which means game gets enhanced, bugfixed etc.).

Like a Virgin for the very first time, i see something good on F2P. Just let go.
And the damage of trolls is far less then the gain for new players, and trolls wont have a chance in PS2 anyway...it`s and outfit game. How i stop to worry about trolls, and love the bom i mean ps2.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
CutterJohn
Colonel

It's not that i want to pay , it's just that i am afraid that the free to play attracts many people who "do not care" about the game and possibly want to enter to troll or whatever like this.

What do you guys think?
Mmm.. Yes, quite so, Geoffrey, quite so. Adding a cover charge would keep out the filthy riff-raff. Why, did you know that most of them don't even have memberships in the yacht club? Unthinkable!

If people annoy you, don't talk to em. There's an ignore button. If they mess with you, this is a PVP game. Go kill them. Repeatedly.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Crator
Major General

Read all links in my sig.... Lot of discussion on this topic from a while back...
Old 2012-06-15, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Mmm.. Yes, quite so, Geoffrey, quite so. Adding a cover charge would keep out the filthy riff-raff. Why, did you know that most of them don't even have memberships in the yacht club? Unthinkable!

If people annoy you, don't talk to em. There's an ignore button. If they mess with you, this is a PVP game. Go kill them. Repeatedly.
Oh yeah, there will be team killing... Perhaps team killing wont be a bad thing after all!
Old 2012-06-15, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Vanath
Corporal

Let them troll. Find the people that aren't and play with them. There's no reason to let them stop you from having fun with it. An ignored troll is a bored troll.
Old 2012-06-15, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

What do you guys think?
"They see me trollin', they hatin'..."

I've played around with a few different F2P games. Generally speaking, I haven't had that many bad experiences with trolls. Trolling happens, and sometimes it can be frustrating, but it hasn't, in my experience, happened with such frequency to be really problematic, or at that much greater of a rate with F2P over P2P.

I've played League of Legends and Team Fortress 2 quite a bit, and there are games that get "ruined" by trolls, overly angry people, and people that are terrible at that specific game for whatever reason. However, the vast majority of my play experience with those games has been free of trolls and other unpleasantness.

I also think that trolls have a much larger impact in League of Legends then they ever will in PS2 even considering friendly fire is a thing. LoL has games of 6-10 players, so a given troll or whatever can have a much larger impact than a given player fighting among 60-200 players at a given point (or potentially much more). Automatic weapon penalties for friendly fire will also further help diminish their impact, as will active GM support (which should serve well to bust up teams of griefers).

I've encountered more trolls playing LoL, DDO, and TF2 than I did WoW or AoC before it went F2P, but not by a significant enough amount.

Don't be too worried, just remember to also do your part and report players that seem to be purposefully causing problems for others (give galaxy pilots a few hours to learn how to not crash though) in a way not conducive to the game or TOS.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions