What made PS1 a superior game than PS2? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: what do u mean there is no pie
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-10-30, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
PredatorFour
Major

Re: What made PS1 a superior game than PS2?

I wouldn`t say TTK in the original was horrifically long, but sure it was long like. Id say PS 2 is horrifically short in TTK. Somewhere in the middle would be great, kinda like the Dust TTK not the CoD TTK as it is now.

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2012-10-30 at 12:09 PM.
Old 2012-10-30, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

TTK for PS1 was in the order of 0.3 to 1.5 seconds on infantry. Is that really long? The only TTK that could have been reduced a bit was the TTK on MAX units with regular ammo.
Old 2012-10-30, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bocheezu
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by psijaka View Post
My problem with the current system is tank AoE spam; if you are in a medium sized base such as Regent's Rock Garrison, and 10 Magriders turn up and start spamming shells, you might as well just forget it and respawn elsewhere. One might say that if the attackers are that well organised, then they deserve to win, but it's no fun to be on the receiving end and is a bit cheap, IMO. Stronger Phlanx turrets needed, perhaps; something to give the defenders a bit of a chance.
In PS1, you had to spend your limited cert points on Ground Assault to roll tank, and tanks were much less common than they are in PS2. This is a big difference as well. A 10-tank column in PS1 was rare and took outfit organization to do, while everybody and their brother rolls MBT in PS2 and it's just natural to have a ton of them around after a base cap. That said, PS2 tanks are much weaker compared to infantry than PS1 tanks are; you could almost never hope to blow up a tank as solo infantry in PS1 (there was very limited cover in that game), and with powerful tracking rockets and ample cover in PS2 it is not very hard.

The other major factor here is the lack of vehicle terms in PS1 compared to PS2. In the heydey of PS1 with high pops, if you wanted to spawn a vehicle right after a base cap, it was common to wait in queue behind 40-50 other people at the single vehicle pad there, which would mean a good 10 mins of just watching other people's crap roll off the vpad (planes, tanks, and AMSes all came from the same vpad in most bases) before you got your vehicle. Often you'd get bombed or OSed and die while waiting, forcing you to requeue all over again or go to sanc. Some people would OS their own vpad just to clear out everybody ahead of them in the queue. There was a forced limitation on vehicles just due to the total amount of vehicle production available.

That said, even with fewer tank numbers, they were still a integral part of camping bases in PS1. Especially towers. Camping is pretty much the Planetside trademark, so I find it funny when people from other FPS franchises are so shocked when they're being camped by vehicles. That's a big part of Planetside, although in PS1 you did have more options to break out than you do in PS2. Like I said previously, quitting and spawning somewhere else was not the solution in PS1; in PS1 you had less spawns, but at the same time, you didn't have these dinky little shacks for spawn buildings. The smallest spawn building you had was a tower, and it had a minimum of two stories + basement and four exits.
Old 2012-11-04, 04:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
VKX
Private

It had a meta.

PS2 is a great shooter game with no reason to keep playing it. Once the jackasses catch up to the carrot and put their favorite attachments on their favorite guns the game will be over in a week to a month for them, and they'll go back to games with crappy simple mechanics like CS/CS:S/CS:GO where something as simple as a bomb plant has people voting in and replaying de_dust again tonight after decades.

PS2 was bad when I got the founder pack, with a very weak spawn point meta based around engineers keeping generators up, GAL's, and going to get aircraft. Not really anything else behind the carnage. Now you can spawn on any idiot's sunderer, any idiot's spawn beacon, and there's no need to go get an aircraft just to have it blown up by AA while you look for the various parked tanks of people who are inside with three places to spawn and so they don't care anymore.

I haven't played much lately so I'm not sure what the status is, but last I heard some sunderers weren't even showing up as spawn points like they're supposed to yet. Once they're all working and the game is live? There will be nothing to the game at all.
Old 2012-11-07, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Redwing
Private

PS1 was a legendary game, dont get me wrong I like PS2 and ill be playing/ am already playing.

People have already said great points above , the mechanics definetly better.

You also didnt feel like everything was being sold to you like i do PS2 again dont get me wrong I know why there doing it but you worked your way to becomming an engineer for instance it didnt have certs for every single thing,PS1 had a lots of weapons and they were what they said on the tin , now you can spend a load of certs and get something worse than you had before.

But something that i miss from PS1 is the funny stuff and camaradery that you will never get in PS2.

Im NC we hated TR and Vanu just as much in PS1 as PS2 but I remember seeing a NC reaver pick up 2 TR on its wings at the bottom of a bridge and lift them to the top with them shouting thanks constantly as they couldnt get back (you couldnt commite suiced by jumping).

Another time we took a base but a TR guy kept spawning constantly he wouldnt give up in the end we shouted noone kill him he spawned and walked out of the base it doesnt sound funny now but it was a good moment and im just trying to show a bit of how it was. Theres hundreds of those storys.

also a base defence was great were all inside with the whole of the NC waiting there all outside and were all shouting come in and get us and there all shouting back as they try and get inside.Had some great long battles inside. You actually could have a battle from the spawn room as well and while that battle is going on someone could spawn at the Sactuary get and AMS try to get it to the base then you would be fighting from inside and outside the base obviously the enemy had theer own tricks they was doing to. Now theres no real tricks its just grab the points.

Now they more or less just walk in lol

Last edited by Redwing; 2012-11-07 at 04:57 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions