Systems: In-Game voice chat - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's like shooting rats in a bucket.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-02-01, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
brickbuster
Private

In-Game voice chat

This is an idea I've been wanting an mmo to release for quite awhile now. Instead of people using Teamspeak or Vent, why doesn't PS2 have it's own chat system. You could switch between different chat "channels" ingame and this could help with organization for attacks and such.

A few chat channels:

1. Empire chat: server-wide, able to communicate with everyone in your empire.

2. Continent chat: talk with all players of your faction that are on the same continent as you.

3. Officer Continent Chat: Outfit leaders only, able to plan attacks between outfits with ease

4. Outfit Chat: Talk with everyone in your outfit

5. Outfit Officer Chat: let squad leaders and the outfit leader communicate in a seperate channel

6. Squad chat: limited to players in your squad

7. Vehicle chat: talk with players in your vehicle

There could also be an option to create custom chat channels, with some system in place to prevent trolls from lagging out the server.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: In-Game voice chat

Here.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
brickbuster
Private

Ahh, I didn't see that they were doing this. I'm glad that they were already thinking ahead of me.
Old 2012-02-01, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Tool
Master Sergeant

Ah thanks for linking that, first time I've seen it. The vehicle chat is much needed imo.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
ThGlump
Captain

1 + 2 : Cant imagine to have thousandths of players on one voice chat, and be able to communicate or even hear anything.

3 : Continent officer? whats that? Squad leaders on continent? While less ppl than 1 and 2, it would be probably chaos again with 100+ ppl there.

4 + 5: TS, vent, mumble. Thats what outfit will use no matter what game will provide (only chance is to create standalone client like those 3). Same goes for outfit only 6 +7

6 + 7 : only viable option to be usable for random ppl. But after several trolls, uncofigured always transmiters, and annoying kids on those random channels, i expect most ppl will turn it off.

I dont know why game companies always try to create their own in game voice. If they would just provide ingame support for existing ones there woule be higher probability to someone actualy use it.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
brickbuster
Private

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
1 + 2 : Cant imagine to have thousandths of players on one voice chat, and be able to communicate or even hear anything.

3 : Continent officer? whats that? Squad leaders on continent? While less ppl than 1 and 2, it would be probably chaos again with 100+ ppl there.

4 + 5: TS, vent, mumble. Thats what outfit will use no matter what game will provide (only chance is to create standalone client like those 3). Same goes for outfit only 6 +7

6 + 7 : only viable option to be usable for random ppl. But after several trolls, uncofigured always transmiters, and annoying kids on those random channels, i expect most ppl will turn it off.

I dont know why game companies always try to create their own in game voice. If they would just provide ingame support for existing ones there woule be higher probability to someone actualy use it.
Continent Officer = Outfit leaders, not squad leaders. Also, there could be more chat channels for hexes and regions, so that the continent chat would be more viable in "OH SHIT THEY JUMPED ON MY TOWER NEED HELP NOW" situations. For your last remark that they should just keep with the existing chat providers, it's much easier to switch chat channels during a battle if you don't have to minimize, change the channel, maximize, and see that you're dead. You did raise good concerns about trolling and little kids, but I'm sure that SOE is talented enough to create systems to keep it in check.
Old 2012-02-01, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ThGlump
Captain

Thats why i said they should provide support for them, to make it easier. Like changing channels from game, showing who is speaking (so you dont need to use problematic overlay), auto creating channels etc. They doing all that anyway, so why dont do it for voice chat that actually somebody will use.
Old 2015-04-12, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
NikTeccon
Private

Hey guys,
during the last alerts I had an idea, which probably is already being discussed somewhere I couldn't find, in which case I am sorry for this repost.

However, what do you think of a cross-faction squad-leader voice chat?

It would open the door to "diplomacy", which could be interesting in Alerts where there is one very strong faction, and two equally inferior. Let's assume the situation is 40%-30%-30% region control with an hour left and equal population, in which case the Alert would be in most cases already decided for the strongest faction, as they only have to put all their forces into defending what they already have.

If the inferior empires could work together, maybe every faction could have a realistic chance to make a difference.

What makes this interesting is that after all, of course, there can only be one winner of the alert so the alliance is necessarily temporary.

What do you think? Bolloks or interesting?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault