Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't say mole...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-21, 12:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide

So we all have six months of free game time, but that will eventually run out, and then what?

Do you think that the game will be appealing enough to retain an active player-base after the free time runs out at $15 a month?

Do you think $10 or $5 a month would be reasonable? What about paying for experience boosts (now that we have 40 battle ranks) or cosmetic items? Could PlanetSide thrive on a cosmetic/exp-driven free-to-play payment system? What about incorporating it into the PlanetSide 2 plan?

Is there any hope for the game once November rolls around and the six months have been exhausted?

Use this thread to track the developments of PlanetSide over the next six months and analyze what its best options would be.

Either we will find out that there is future for the game after Novemember, or we veterans are going to have to say a final goodbye when that time rolls around.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Re: Lets start the discussion now - the future of PlanetSide

To help with discussion, for the next six months I will be collecting population data during prime time (approximately 5pm-10pm on weekdays and several different times on weeekends).

My process will go as follows. Upon logging in I will generate an accurate estimate of my empire's population by using the chat commands, incentives toggle, and other tools. Based on that data, one can mathematically calculate the total game's population (at a given time) by looking at global population percentages. This data will be collected everyday (since it shouldn't take long to do) and put into graph format nearing the end of the six-month period for analysis by everyone here.

There are certain flaws with this methodology, such as not being able to be on all day to see the different population changes at different times of the day, but (sadly) prime time in the US is what really counts and is what will show if PlanetSide has an interested enough player-base to stay active after the six month period.

Data will probably be presented in a line graph showing time (by weeks) on the horizontal axis and population (in hundreds) along the vertical axis.

If you have any recommendations on what I can do to get a more accurate picture of prime time populations please let me know, just remember to keep them within reasonable means, I'm a 19 (almost 20) year old university student with not a lot of time.

If you are willing to help me by collecting data during other times of the day (I'm looking at European players now, with different prime times), please contact me.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

Purchasable empire switching tickets
Purchasable re-certification timer reducers
Purchasable XP boosters

Main issue with F2P on PS1 though is the exploits...
Old 2013-05-21, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

reduce it to a 5 dollar fee.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-05-21, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Wahooo
Captain

$15 a month is the price of a premium game subscription. Meaning a game that has PREMIUM support, PREMIUM features and development.

I stopped paying a while ago not because I couldn't afford it, but simply because I couldn't see what exactly I was paying for. I think I personally could justify $5 per month, I'm just now sure about anyone else.

Based on the free 40 days or whatever it was for the werner merge and then again when PS2 was finally announced I don't see the pops staying up for 6 months. The interest is there, but fades for some people, then as soon as the pop starts to drop more people stop logging in. I see myself playing regularly for the full 6 months but really don't know after that.

IF the hacking and script kiddies get out of control like has happened in the past I can't say at all where I will be. I know the free days at the Werner merge were absolutely devastated by just 3 or so people with over the top hacks. We went from 3 pop locked continents to none in a couple days. I know many people i've already talked about that have said "free planetside? why would I want to be shot by hackers? I won't play."

As far as cosmetics and cash shop stuff? Don't see that either. The old code for this game I don't think is understood by anyone around enough to be able to implement that stuff, at least in a way that would be useful and in a way that would not cost more than they could ever hope to make from it. Maybe XP boosters but how much could they make from that?
Old 2013-05-21, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Shogun
Contributor
General

i still think, including ps1 sub in the ps2 sub would be a good way to keep at least some population.

and lowering the standalone ps1 sub to 5 bucks would also help.

this way blatant hackers can still be banned. for both games. i am sure people would think twice if they could lose their sub and all their paid items from ps2 by cheating in ps1.

if the sub is maintained at a high level, the game would need another round of "ongoing developement" to justify the high costs. like an update to planetside next. i don´t know how far the devs went when they worked on ps next, but i hope there are prototypes left from that time.

and if the 6 months proove that there is not enough longtime demand and soe decides to shut down planetside, i would really apreciate if they would release the server to allow private shards. we already know that about any modern gamingserver can handle planetside for it once ran on a bunch of pentiums.

oh, and if f2p is the way, i wouldn´t mind reallife ads on the propagandaboards ingame, or banners during respawntimers. but the hackers would need to be adressed.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2013-05-21 at 01:48 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Wahooo
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
if the sub is maintained at a high level, the game would need another round of "ongoing developement" to justify the high costs.
Thats my point the game has run for almost 1/2 its life now with NO further development, yet still remained at a premium sub price. There has been nothing to justify a sub at all, let alone a top tier price for like 5 years.
Old 2013-05-21, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
vieric
Private

Well, comments on smeds twitter indicate there are still future plans to make the game F2P. He made no mention of specifics, however, so no word yet on what changes would occur to make this feasible. At the very least it tells us it's still on SOE's list, if nothing else.

At least, I'm fairly sure he was referring to PS1, not sure what else would meet the criteria. Here's the source:

Only thing I'm worried about is the hackers coming back during the next 6 months, causing the game to empty out, and SOE deeming the whole thing a failure and not moving forward with this...The first part has happened before, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 2013-05-21, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I could see a sub of $5/mo but not much more than that. There was an okay pop online yesterday when I was playing and it was nice to see some familiar faces.
Here's to hoping the hackers don't fuck this up and people can stay interested! (Despite the older graphics)

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-21, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
ringring
Contributor
General

I would reckon fpt would be difficult. I can't see that cosmetics or attachments or new weapons can be done without a significant investment in developer resources.

Maybe something like a token you can purchase that limits access in some way. Such as unless you buy the monthly 'aerospace' token you can't access aircraft.

Or the implants are purchasable perhaps.

Hopefully, some scheme can be found that will be enough to maintain population levels, however I doubt it. A major reason why Planetside was not played by many was because they didn't really know about it and as I'm sure SOE's marketing will be directed mostly towards PS2 (also EQ Next etc) I don't think much will change.
Old 2013-05-21, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Zeta
Private

Let me just say this, you don't want to do anything that will end up shooting yourself in the foot. SOE has all the power, so if anything is seen as coming across as demanding, insulting, or entitled it will never be the way to go.

I hope for a bright future for the whole PlanetSide franchise!

Last edited by Zeta; 2013-05-21 at 04:51 PM.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
Let me just say this, you don't want to do anything that will end up shooting yourself in the foot. SOE has all the power, so if anything is seen as coming across as demanding, insulting, or entitled it will never be the way to go.

I hope for a bright future for the whole PlanetSide franchise!
That's not my goal at all. Rain or shine, I just want some data at the end of the six months to analyze how the pops fluctuated over that time.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
bullet
First Sergeant

On top of it being the 10 year anniversary, this seems like a test for SOE to see if there is actually any interest left in the game. If the vets, who say they want PS1, don't play with their 6 months of time then I don't see them attempting to make this F2P.

Thats my theory anyway.
Old 2013-05-21, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I think including PS1 in the PS2 subscription would be the most easy way, and i wouldn't object to it.

While i certainly would love F2P i just cannot see PS1 supporting such a model, nor would i like the whole can o' crap that would come with it (like selling weapons, hackers or glowing hats).
Old 2013-05-21, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
GTGD
First Sergeant

There isn't all that much that needs to be done to show PS2 players what they missed with PS1. Just make a time-lapse video of the PS2 world map vs the PS1 world map to see how the world changes, and in between flash some sped-up gameplay footage showcasing some of the features that were left out (vehicle entrance/exit animations, unholstering weapons, armor columns, etc).

It's one thing to hear an idea and say "well it must have sucked since PS1 failed" and another to see it in action and wonder "why didn't they bring this back?"
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion