Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here*** - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pimpin' Up Your Side Of The Planet
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-06-19, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant
 
Greeniegriz's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: PSU Folding Team wants YOU!


Congratz on 100K+ points team.

One Million here we come!

Cheers,

GG
__________________

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Greeniegriz is offline  
Old 2012-06-19, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Ailos
Contributor
Major
 
Ailos's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Honestly, I don't think the CPU is going to matter that much for graphics scaling.

You can't turn gameplay physics off so, if your CPU can't handle it, it won't matter what your graphics settings are.


I find it super funny that AMD's best only stacks up with 4 gens ago's i5/i7s
True, PS2 will probably be much more of a CPU-bottlenecked game than a GPU one... perhaps even the most CPU-bottlenecked of all given how many players SOE is aiming for.

Also, not only is AMD pretty low on that list, but I think it's quite disappointing that even its own modern architecture isn't at the top of the list.
__________________
Doctors kill people one at a time. Engineers do it in batches.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Ailos is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
The Kush
Captain
 
The Kush's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066 FSB)
6 GB DDR3 System Memory (3 Dimm) (expandable to 16 GB)
500GB (7200RPM) Hard Drive (SATA)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
15.6" Diagonal Full High Definition LED HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen Display (1920x1080)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 (M97) witth up to 3835MB total graphics memory with 1 GB dedicated

Processor, Memory, and Motherboard-
Hardware Platform: PC
Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Number of Processors: 4
RAM: 6 GB
RAM Type: SODIMM
Hard Drive
Size: 500 GB


Can anyone tell me if this will be good? That chart says my graphics card is the minimum but the AMD site says my graphics card is really good. This laptop was $2000+ so I hope it will be good. Thanks for the help!
__________________
The Kush is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator
 
Goku's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Graphics card was higher end back in 2009 when it released. Now however not so much hence why its low on the chart. However on a lower res like 1280x720-1600x900 I would expect a mix of low and med setting. 1920x1080 I see it starting to choke.
Goku is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
The Kush
Captain
 
The Kush's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Graphics card was higher end back in 2009 when it released. Now however not so much hence why its low on the chart. However on a lower res like 1280x720-1600x900 I would expect a mix of low and med setting. 1920x1080 I see it starting to choke.
Okay thank you Goku!
__________________
The Kush is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Can anyone tell me if this will be good? That chart says my graphics card is the minimum but the AMD site says my graphics card is really good. This laptop was $2000+ so I hope it will be good. Thanks for the help!
You think they'd tell you it was a shit card?
It was ok even though it was mobile, now it's both old and mobile so it's fallen quite far.
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Rbstr is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant
 
TheBladeRoden's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


OS
Windows 7 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.40 GHz

Motherboard
Intel DP35DP

Memory
4 GB PC2-5300 667 MHz

Graphics Card(s)
Asus ENGTX460

Sound Card
Creative Xtreme Fatality

Monitor(s) Displays
Acer V193w

Screen Resolution
1440x900

Hard Drives
Samsung HD502HJ
Seagate Barracuda 320GB

PSU
Startech ATX2PW550PRO
TheBladeRoden is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator
 
Goku's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


I will say high settings with yours.
Goku is offline  
Old 2012-06-20, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Bags
Lieutenant General
 
Bags's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I will say high settings with yours.
Yeah my 460 did BF3 on high/medium at 40-50 fps.
__________________
Bags is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Zaerath
Private
 
Zaerath's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


I'm thinking I might be able to get away with high settings on this rig (I built it back in 2010). I'll probably need a GPU upgrade to run it on ultra-high. Confirmation anyone?

CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T (Thuban 45nm Technology)

RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 535MHz (8-8-8-20)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 (AM3)

Graphics
1023MB GeForce GTX 460 (PNY)
1920x1080 (the same res I prefer to game at)
__________________
"We are the shepherds of evolution, the harbingers of progress. We lead toward the light." -- Vanu Sovreignty
Zaerath is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 09:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator
 
Goku's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Your processor is still good as is the GTX 460. If you want to run max you may need a GPU upgrade to may it tolerable (50+ FPS average).
Goku is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant
 
Mutant's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
True, PS2 will probably be much more of a CPU-bottlenecked game than a GPU one... perhaps even the most CPU-bottlenecked of all given how many players SOE is aiming for.
GPU vs CPU bottleneck is highly user case dependent, since resolution/setting can be changed to move the GPU demand, the CPU demand is generally fixed.

In essence once you have a CPU that meets the games demand having higher CPU performance wont yield much improvement.

for GPU there is almost no limit to how high you can keep pushing demand by increasing the settings and resolution.

Similarly you can remove demand by reducing the resolution / settings and in doing so you could prob push GPU requirement so low that for a lot of user cases the CPU becomes the bottle neck but most people like to play with settings set a high a possible.

so to complete my ramblings;
It is very important to have a good enough CPU but once you cross that threshold GPU is king.

I suspect and decent quad core from ~Q6600+ and almost certainly a Q9400+ would not be a bottleneck



Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
Also, not only is AMD pretty low on that list, but I think it's quite disappointing that even its own modern architecture isn't at the top of the list.
Bulldozer looks more favorable (though in general still behind intel) when you look at modern game engines designed to use all the cores. BF3 and DE:HR for example. I would hope PS2 can use more than 4 cores well.
__________________
____________________ [BLTR] - Miller - www.blood-legion.com _____

Last edited by Mutant; 2012-06-21 at 11:30 AM.
Mutant is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Ailos
Contributor
Major
 
Ailos's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
It is very important to have a good enough CPU but once you cross that threshold GPU is king.
That depends on the game, and in some cases, even how you play it. Skyrim doesn't have a significant multiplayer component or stuff blowing up ALL the time (like we would expect of PS2), it's built much more for eye-candy and pretty scenery, so it tends to be more taxing on the GPU than just about any other game.

WoW on the other hand, has pretty rudimentary graphics, not the least because it was originally released back in 2004. But it IS an MMO, which means the CPU has a lot more work to do tracking all the players' actions (which aren't scripted, so have to be done real-time), and is a lot more taxing on the CPU. You could have a GTX 690, but if you've got a Celeron, you're still going to be stuck at med-high settings and 40 FPS in a raid.

BF3 has both of those put together, which is why it requires such a high-end system to run it well.

We're expecting PS2 to be taking both of those issues out of proportion. The textures that they've showed us so far look GORGEOUS. And because it's a game that is truly massively multiplayer, you're going to have at least hundreds of people fighting within drawing distance. The high-level physics, ballistics, and logistical tracking HAVE to be done by the CPU, outright. AND the textures are incredibly high-detail, as is the geometry. So to play on ultra settings, you're going to need cutting edge of both GPU and CPU here. "Good enough" will not apply to PS2 like it does to WoW.



Bulldozer looks more favorable (though in general still behind intel) when you look at modern game engines designed to use all the cores. BF3 and DE:HR for example. I would hope PS2 can use more than 4 cores well.
Bulldozer isn't slow because it has too many cores, it's slow because its architecture is simply inefficient at getting data from point A to point B. If cores were everything, BD would have been better than SB-E. And is it?
__________________
Doctors kill people one at a time. Engineers do it in batches.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Ailos is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General
 
Rbstr's Avatar
 
Misc Info
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
WoW on the other hand, has pretty rudimentary graphics, not the least because it was originally released back in 2004. But it IS an MMO, which means the CPU has a lot more work to do tracking all the players' actions (which aren't scripted, so have to be done real-time), and is a lot more taxing on the CPU.
I disagree with this. Path finding for an AI is WAY more taxing than someone, or a dozen, running around.

Player input, that is movement, looking ect. is easy because it's on human time scales and a CPU is just way beyond that.

The issue is what calculations the inputs spawn. BF3's sound system is pretty involved for instance, latency-compensation for player movement, physics for the dozen objects an explosion spawned.

If these things are game-play important and not optional, every system has to do them. That's why you need "good enough" and after that it doesn't matter much at all.
The northwood-Celeron with a 690 would be able to run at high nearly as well as it would run on low - it would run like crap in all settings.
Something in the last 3 gens of i5 or better probably will probably be above the bar and the graphics card will be the main differentiation in performance.
__________________

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Rbstr is offline  
Old 2012-06-21, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Ailos
Contributor
Major
 
Ailos's Avatar
 
Re: Will your desktop/laptop run PS2? ***Ask here***


Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Path finding for an AI is WAY more taxing than someone, or a dozen, running around.
Exactly. This is why SC2 is usually a CPU-bottlenecked game.


Player input, that is movement, looking ect. is easy because it's on human time scales and a CPU is just way beyond that.

The northwood-Celeron with a 690 would be able to run at high nearly as well as it would run on low - it would run like crap in all settings.
That's true, except the issue here with a true MMO is that your and the hundreds of others' input has to be processed pretty pretty quickly for everyone to see the same stuff on the screen. And this has to go through the communication protocol that is usually managed by your OS (i.e. your CPU) since it needs to go out the ethernet cable and to the server. Server-side processing can help here, but it can't do 100% of the load and you need some client-side calculations to cope with the packet nature of the internet. Perhaps WoW wasn't the best choice for an example on my part here, but it's a pretty universal truth that the slowest experiences you have in WoW is in the capitals, where everyone likes to hang out (and not out in the dungeons or raids).

The problem with MMOs (esp. true MMOs like PS1/2) here isn't that stuff has to be processed quickly, it's that a LOT of stuff has to be processed simultaneously. That's why PS1 was always gasping for extra resources back in 2003, and that's why PS2 is going to be such a demanding title.

Perhaps that's where properly threading a game like PS2 will enable it to run well, but as McHurtz is quick to point out, not everything can be threaded.

Something in the last 3 gens of i5 or better probably will probably be above the bar and the graphics card will be the main differentiation in performance.
Agreed. My point here is that sadly, AMD's current flagship is only really competetive compared to the 1st gen i5. And that's a shame, 'cos I can't help but feel somewhat ripped off as a consumer.
__________________
Doctors kill people one at a time. Engineers do it in batches.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-06-21 at 07:12 PM.
Ailos is offline  
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.