New to upgrading my cpu.

my motherboard is ASUSTek Computer INC. LEONITE 5.00

currently considering
AMD FX-6200 Zambezi 3.8GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819106010

or

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103960

so i guess my question is what matters more, cores or ghz speed ? 6 core 3.8-4.1ghz or 8 core 3.6 ghz? will these processors work with my motherboard ?? are these good processors for ps2 ?

both of these fit my price range of under 200$
i currently run windows 7 32 bit but i plan to upgrade to 64 bit asap.

im also wondering what type of memory i should get that will work with my ASUSTek Computer INC. LEONITE 5.00 motherboard and be good for playing ps2?

Last edited by Bloodsport; 2012-08-16 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
NumbaOneStunna
Sergeant

Re: Processor Question

Hrm.

Ive never heard of that motherboard before, and a quick google search shows its a P5LP-LE from an OEM computer (HP/Compaq)

It also shows its a socket 775, in which case those CPU's are not compatible.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Yeah not gonna work. Not even worth upgrading. You need a new mob, cpu, and ram. No idea what you have for a gpu either.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

That's...an Intel board, if Google is leading me the right way.

You're SOL on a good CPU upgrade. For a new CPU you'll need a new motherboard and RAM at the very least.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-17, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bloodsport
Private

ok thx i will upgrade motherboard first
Old 2012-08-17, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Bloodsport View Post
ok thx i will upgrade motherboard first
Just to make this clear in case you are not, you can't get a new motherboard and put in your current CPU. You will need a CPU, mobo, and ram in order to upgrade to a current gen CPU.
Old 2012-08-19, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Pancake
Sergeant

I would save up for a i5 3570K upgrade. You will need a new mobo and ram as well.
Old 2012-08-19, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

At least learn the basics before paying hundreds of dollars for something that might be useless to you. Even just half an hour a day learning about hardware could save you a lot of money.
Old 2012-08-20, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Bloodsport
Private

okay after doing some research i am about to buy this motherboard and processor combo: $261
Intel Core i5-3470 Ivy Bridge 3.2GHz (3.6GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i53470
&
GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...=Combo.1026255

im just wondering if this is an ideal combo for ps2 performance?? i am looking for a really good processor speed but i am not really interested in equipment designed for overclocking. also i read that i7 is not as good as i5 3rd gen for gaming and intel worth the money over AMD?

i currently have a nvidia GeForce 9800 GT card so im not looking to upgrade that ATM

Last edited by Bloodsport; 2012-08-20 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2012-08-21, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mutant
Contributor
Master Sergeant

The i5-3470 + GA-B75M-D3H combo will be highly suitable and a very good choice and great value for a non overclocking high end gaming machine.

You will also need some RAM to go with that. 2x4GB DDR3 1600 will be a good idea.

You may need a new Case and PSU also.

You say you are not looking for a graphics card but that 9800GT will be a massive bottleneck in your proposed new system (and just about minimum for PS2 with rock bottom settings). I would start saving for an upgrade here ASAP.

Last edited by Mutant; 2012-08-21 at 03:35 AM.
Old 2012-08-21, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

"Ideal" for PS2? Nobody knows (plus it's a weird question, Ideal would be the fastest possible everything, do you mean practical or prudent or efficient, instead?). But it's a good combination in general and I don't think it's a mistake. Intel pretty much creams AMD at gaming right now so it's, by far, the "safer" choice.

But first, you need to tell us what your powersupply and case are. If you're knocking around on some old 250w PSU you're going to have a bad time.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-08-21, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bloodsport
Private

thanks for the reccomendation on the RAM, that was sure to be my next question and i was looking to spend under 50 for the 2x4g sticks. ive heard some are better for gaming ?? so i assume those are

i guess by ideal i mean the best for the money. I could prob spend 300 on a motherboard/processor combo if i could find a better suited one. im also lookin at an i5 3570k but i dont know which motherboard would be best. is 3570k that much better than 3470?

ok my current power supply is a "power" brand. model number is PS-450w. not sure if that is enough but looks like its at least not 250w. my case is a normal HP media center PC m7747c

Last edited by Bloodsport; 2012-08-21 at 03:53 PM.
Old 2012-08-24, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bloodsport View Post
thanks for the reccomendation on the RAM, that was sure to be my next question and i was looking to spend under 50 for the 2x4g sticks. ive heard some are better for gaming ?? so i assume those are

i guess by ideal i mean the best for the money. I could prob spend 300 on a motherboard/processor combo if i could find a better suited one. im also lookin at an i5 3570k but i dont know which motherboard would be best. is 3570k that much better than 3470?

ok my current power supply is a "power" brand. model number is PS-450w. not sure if that is enough but looks like its at least not 250w. my case is a normal HP media center PC m7747c
The combo you mentioned is your best bet. The 3570k is not needed for your situation since you're not overclocking. The only difference you'd notice between the two is a marginal bump in speed and $30 of extra cost for the 3570k.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum