WEATHER RELATED - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Newbie Burger.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-19, 04:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: WEATHER RELATED

It's going to happen. There's been a tonne of very recent massive breakthroughs that are now making it a reality, IBM have announced that they're now planning on commercial products available 5 years from now after successfully demonstrating working qubits, so it's pretty big news.

http://www.zmescience.com/research/i...uter-28022012/

As well as other really interesting news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12811199

Apologies for offtopic, just one of those things that really excites me because it's such a huge absolutely massive future for computing. The speed and power we're going to have in computers just 10 years from now is going to be ludicrous, things like human creative AIs might finally become a reality, and from there on who fucking knows, a human creative AI might be able to conceive of and create technologies that are completely beyond our abilities to even understand, and further still. To the point that we actually would be incapable of understanding how the tech we've got works because of it's over advanced complexity, only capable of understanding by an AI with the advanced computational power but still creative and innovative thinking that we have. Technology could actually become completely indistinguishable to magic at that point.

The future is fucking exciting.

/off topic

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-19, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
texico
Master Sergeant

^ Couldn't we just make the AI's create AI chips that can be installed in human brains to enhance our intelligence enough to understand their technology????
Old 2012-03-19, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
It's going to happen....

(Insert text detailing the beginning of the end of humanity here)

The future is fucking exciting.
What you are describing reminds me of a Technological singularity, and I hope it does not happen my lifetime, or my children's, children's, children's, children's lifetimes. Or ever for that matter. Humans are at the top of the food chain for one reason only, our intelligence. Once an intellegence exists on this planet that grealty eclipses humans, prepare to enjoy being a slave, or battery, or dead, or whatever else it feels like doing with us.

Ok..back to topic.

I would like snow on vehicles, just make them decals. Also having rain make stuff look wet would be awesome. Don't forget dripping sound effects and lightening/thunder.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Nonsense. Asimov's laws would completely eliminate the possibility, there is no such thing as the ghost in the machine and thus there is no possibility for them to change.

It's going to happen, and it's going to happen in our lives.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-19, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

3 Laws Don't Quite Cut It
The Myth of the Three Laws of Robotics – Why We Can’t Control Intelligence
Also, if an AI can become "sentient", it will only obey the laws it chooses, like humans do. We should really move this conversation to the lounge.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 11:36 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Synapses
Sergeant Major

Anyone willing to explain Quantum Computing for me in dumb people terms? =P

I have looked at articles and the Wiki, but it dosent make sense to me.

What exactly will these computers be able to do in terms of gaming?

Are we talking like... a whole other world of things possible? Virtual reality? What?

Can someone give me a run down on what Quantum Computing is going to be capable of?

EDIT: To keep things on topic also, I really am hoping for some cool weather in game, as I have YET to see a game that can produce real life like clouds... its been my dream since I was a probably 13 to see a game that had realistic clouds in air combat.

Last edited by Synapses; 2012-03-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
CrossFire
Private

I just want it to rain / tstorm!
Old 2012-03-19, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Skitrel is a pro at hijacking every thread. Sigh.

On topic, the more weather effects the better. Just don't allow people to turn them off like flora in PS1. Unfortunately, most computers will not be able to handle complex weather effects, so they will either be dumbed down or be able to be toggled off; meaning nobody will use them.

Using a graphical feature you have the option to turn off almost always puts u at a disadvantage -- ie. Flora in PS1 which was cool but blocked your vision and put u at a disadvantage against players with it turned off. The result = everyone had it turned off.
Old 2012-03-19, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Synapses View Post
Anyone willing to explain Quantum Computing for me in dumb people terms? =P

I have looked at articles and the Wiki, but it dosent make sense to me.

What exactly will these computers be able to do in terms of gaming?

Are we talking like... a whole other world of things possible? Virtual reality? What?

Can someone give me a run down on what Quantum Computing is going to be capable of?

EDIT: To keep things on topic also, I really am hoping for some cool weather in game, as I have YET to see a game that can produce real life like clouds... its been my dream since I was a probably 13 to see a game that had realistic clouds in air combat.
In very dumbed down terms:

A normal CPU can only operate with 1 or 0.
A quantum processor can operate with every "state" between 1 and 0, so a quantum processor is capable of alot more calculations per second.

A fully fledged quantum processor would basically make a supercomputer look like a calculator. However the journey to effective consumer-grade quantum processors are years and years into the future.

Back on topic:

Weather effects: as long as they can do it without client taking a hit, im all for it!
Old 2012-03-19, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

oh yeah i want weather where it actually effects the environment around me for instance if its been raining for a long time there should be puddles of water and can cause vehicles to stall out have to walk though swamp type puddles , snow that builds up over time depending on how fast its snowing ice spots, hot temperatures where you fatigue quicker cold weather where you cant stay out doors for long periods of time. yeah prob never see that in an a game but yeah.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion