Game Engine: mouse acceleration - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Come on you apes! You want to live forever?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2011-07-27, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

mouse acceleration

Simple idea, but one that can make or break the controls in a game (I'm looking at you Bioshock). I'd like to see the devs make ingame mouse acceleration toggleable and adjustable for each control scheme.

Example settings might be:

On foot = off
Ground vehicles = 30%
Aircraft = 60%

This would go a long way towards making the controls responsive and usable.
Old 2011-07-27, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
raw
Sergeant

Re: mouse acceleration

mouse acceleration in shooters only has one valid setting: off.
Old 2011-07-27, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

MAccel is indeed not good, but...

You should just be able to set everything yourself.
Old 2011-07-27, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
T MAN
Private

Mouse acceleration is one of the worst things that can be in a game. If it has acceleration it can't be played competitively and if it's bad enough, the game can't be played at all.

Things like this wouldn't be an issue at all if they were back where they belong in the options menu like real PC games used to have. Most modern games have a bad attitude. They tell you how to play, save when they want not when it's convenient or desirable for you the player and so many other things that I the player should be able to decide. This was stuff purged from PC games after we managed to acquire them years earlier so it's going backwards.

Such options can make the game go from playable to completely unplayable; much like the lack of adequate subtitling, colour-blind options, key binding/controller options, etc.

Things like this MUST be options as standard. It's sad that some developers are so short-sighted and lacking in empathy that we end up fighting for it.

This is what someone said in the steam forums about Bioshock "The problem with Bioshock (1) isn't acceleration, it just has horribly and utterly broken mouse controls. Half the time my sensitivity drops to 0.1% of normal for 10 minutes and then for no reason at all it will go back to 'normal' (aka super sensitive)."
Old 2011-07-27, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

I get the impression that ForgeLight is being developed as a PC engine primarily so hopefully none of this will be an issue. I hate acceleration with a passion, but I could see the devs implementing it along with separate sensitivity settings to make vehicles easier to control for those who choose to pilot them with a mouse. Of course it should default to 0 when you are not in a vehicle.

I trust the PS2 team, but I just figured I'd bring this up now so it doesn't some how slip under the radar and gimp the game at launch.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault