Making Air Power more practical in PS - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't worry, I work here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-10-06, 09:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Um no. Reavers are 105kph cruising and 281kph on afterburn. Mosquitos top out at 287kph on afterburner with a max cruising speed of 119kph. It *MAY* actually be 288kph, I can't see clearly because the speedometer flickers between something and 287. I know this is the number because I went to Public Test when I was building the BWC's vehicle webpages and I did tests on all vehicles (also to get screenshots). As an aside, ever notice that 115kph seems to be really fast, when in reality it's like 80 miles an hour? That isn't even approach/landing speed for 747s or something.

What aircraft need these days are CHAFF pods, and not as a lame-ass additional weapons pod. Make it built-in to all vehicle bodies, activated as a 'special feature' the way an infil suit cloaks or a MAX does its thing. Chaff would thus negate lock-ons for all empires, giving aircraft a fighting chance except maybe against a Skyguard (and it would force the Devs to stop giving TR a bunch of shitty flak weapons, which are retarded when everyone else has lock-on capabilities). As a counter to rendering AA-MAX obsolete, give the chaff "ammo" a limit - like five or ten containers, with a long reload time (damn long, not like "hummm okay reloading, reloading, okay GO!") and limit the time that it's effective... this should prevent "chaff spam" that allows a pilot to linger in a zone and cause more mayhem. Chaff is designed to be a defensive countermeasure, not an aid to spam. I can see Reaver pilots using it as a means to allow them more spam-time. Give it enough effectiveness time so that it can get the hell out of the area.

Chaff would also mean that aircraft such as Lodestars, Galaxies, and Liberators have to be pursued and shot down by other aircraft when no Skyguards are present, almost exclusively, in order to be taken out.

Last edited by Firefly; 2004-10-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2004-10-06, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
EarlyDawn
Major General

I would say that chaff should be loaded like ammo in the trunk. If you want the protection, you'll need to leave ammo and/or System Enhancements (As Per Hayoo's Idea) behind.

A tradeoff.
Old 2004-10-07, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Batousai
Staff Sergeant

well if your going add Chaffs and flare type countermeasures then you need to buff the Missle locks to MAXs and stikers and what not. As it stands missle locks are hard to come by when your in a MAX suit.
Old 2004-10-07, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Yea... if you dont have a mouse....
Old 2004-10-08, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Batousai
well if your going add Chaffs and flare type countermeasures then you need to buff the Missle locks to MAXs and stikers and what not. As it stands missle locks are hard to come by when your in a MAX suit.
The only true statement in that message is....yeah, I can't find it either.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2004-10-08, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

How about nobody touches Air Cav?

It's not as bad as everyone makes it sound.
Old 2004-10-08, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

The aircraft idea isn't bad, but make it faster. The idea of Air to Air missiles has always been a nice dream.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2004-10-08, 05:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
DropShipEdward
Contributor
Corporal

Love the idea of those bases!

Air to air does sound fun, but how about some rockets that actually hurt tanks and other vechs instead of making them only useful against hurt or parked units, my only other complaint about the reaver is it needs to have its guns moved to under its nose, everything else is fine.

The only people who complain about the spam are those on the reciveing end, spam is used by the noobs and pros alike, if the guns are moved, you might not see much spam cause you`ll want to save your rockets for armor, and its just part of the game.

When you get better with a reaver its not that hard to use the guns on infanty, even those striker monkeys, and when you can land your bullets, it eats infantry for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Old 2004-10-08, 05:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Boomer
First Sergeant

Imagine good air physics, where the reaver pods would be mounted on the wings of the craft like a present day jet, and you could shoot them so that they exploded, causing the reaver to go down in smoke and flames. And the smoke an flames would actually be there, and it would actually leave a trail, and the falling sequence would be you going out of control depending on where you were hit. For example, If you were hit from the tail, then your tail would blow off and you would plunge into an uncontrollable spin, where as if you were hit in the main chassis, you would eventually glide towards the ground, becoming less and less in control as you descend.

I would love for that to be true, but it aint. Air physics suck. Actually, All of the planetside physics suck.

Enjoy my 2c
Old 2004-10-08, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

What do you guys think about the fuel idea? Even if it was for all vehicles? Please give 2 cents on that. I think its the best idea out of the post.
Old 2004-10-08, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

Fuel idea doesn't work because it's extraneous. Lets say a plane can fly 2 hours before it has to refuel?

What does it run on? The same thing everything else does on Auraxis. Nanites.

So you fly back into a warpgate and absorb some nanites. Considering that only during the most intense continent fights do you actually go over 2 hours without going into a warpgate makes this idea not very easily or usefully implementable.
Old 2004-10-08, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

hte solution fore reaver spam, is to A make the 20mm line up like the BFR's arms do so it shoots to a point at any distance, and then nerf the hell out of the rockets AI damage, and then buff the rocket speed, and its AV damage, to the point were 2x16 rocket clips can kill a tank, then let the reaver carry 3 boxes plus clip in the vech in it's base config.

AS a result:
rockets aren't wasted on troops anymore as they don't want to waste ammo and don't do much AV damage, but they are usefull for killing ground vechicles.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2004-10-08 at 04:33 PM.
Old 2004-10-08, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The Reaver rockets already do shit dmg to AI. The problem isn't their AI dmg it's the fact they are the better AI weapon, I would much rather have a Reaver version of a Deci or empire AV.

Old 2004-10-09, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Reaver with strikers.... hfs.... that would own. Dual strikers on a reaver....

BTW... the fuel thing... yea 2 hours is WAAAY too long. I am talking about 5 minutes of fuel stock. THis severly limits the ability of a reaver to fly around and wtfown what it sees. Tanks would be more... scout types would be the most.
Old 2004-10-09, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

No.

The reaver is not the end all be all killing machine everyone thinks it is. It is just a part of a Rock/Paper/Scissors package deal.

If you want to make reavers refuel every 5 minutes, then rexo infantry needs to stop every 200m from running with 80 pounds of gear on.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion