Gameplay: New Player Mentoring.. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if anyone has ever given their 1 cent...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 3.70 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-15, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
dorgo
Corporal

New Player Mentoring..

If you can all think back to your first time playing planetside you will remember how confusing it was.

After a half hour or so i got chatting to a player that had been on the beta, they took me under their wing to show me the ropes and i learn't a lot more than the tutorials.

So my idea is put in a new player mentoring step in the first few steps of joining the game, they can either enter this or opt out, if they opt out and find it overwhelming and want to enter it later they should be able to.

As for the mentors any player old or new can offer their services for this.
Old 2011-07-15, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: New Player Mentoring..

Like it. Mind to go more into detail? How do new guys find mentors? How do mentors find new guys?
Old 2011-07-15, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
dorgo
Corporal

I would say with some sort of bulletin board within the game where new players can add themselves to it and so can the mentors, the mentors either pick a noob or it could be done randomly and automatic pairing.....
Old 2011-07-15, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Mind if i just use this basic idea of yours and let my mind flow freely? Somethigns coming up already, like rating your mentor after youre done, goals to meet for the newbie, rewards for meeting those goals, rewards for the mentor to help a newb, etc.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Logit
Second Lieutenant

I would have loved this idea when I was running people over in sanctuary because I thought grief points were good.....
Old 2011-07-15, 10:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
dorgo
Corporal

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Mind if i just use this basic idea of yours and let my mind flow freely? Somethigns coming up already, like rating your mentor after youre done, goals to meet for the newbie, rewards for meeting those goals, rewards for the mentor to help a newb, etc.
I don't think there should be any rewards as such that affect your characters performance in game, as this is a selfless act to help support the community as a whole. A Mentor should be rated and given a special badge if they are having them in this new game.

Say if there is a new player gets a lot of help from the community he will tell all his friends "how great this game is" "the players on their really helped me", so there will be more players.
Old 2011-07-15, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36578

Just took the idea and removed the chains from my brain. :>
Old 2011-07-15, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
dorgo
Corporal

Originally Posted by basti View Post
http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=36578

Just took the idea and removed the chains from my brain. :>
thats a good thread hijack...
Old 2011-07-15, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Personally, I liked figuring the game out on my own. Not a bad idea to have such a system in place for those who wish to use it though.
Old 2011-07-15, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
nathanebht
Sergeant

With FPS games being so common, not sure how valuable this would be. It would be nice for PS2 to attract tons of people who never played a FPS before.
Old 2011-07-16, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Valdae
Sergeant

Remember the offline training with that sexy woman narrating? They should have that, but online. I think a game without sanctuaries is much easier to get to grips with anyways..
Old 2011-07-17, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
I would have loved this idea when I was running people over in sanctuary because I thought grief points were good.....

I think game designers are a lot more aware of new player experience than they were back in 2003. I think there's something wrong with a modern game that needs mentors. Hopefully either a tutorial or lots of contextual help will be provided in game to help newbies off their feet and into the action.

For everything else there's PSU
Old 2011-07-17, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

I don't really see the point. a lot of games and even more so new ones tend to have a guild/outfit/whatever named "noobs welcome, help here." or something that enjoys and/or seeks to help out new players.
Old 2011-07-25, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Well, a good way to do things is also making a tutorial movie instead of "go figure it out yourself". A new generation of players is either getting dumb or too lazy but this type of training proves more efficient, for some reason.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault