News: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A Documentary By Hamma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-26, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #481
shadar
Private

Re: Wait, was that trailer supposed to represent Planetside?

It was a better representation of the scale than any other trialer they have realesed because they havent had the numbers to show that kind of scale so cgi was the only way to get it. As to why it is like it is well the TR getting beat up was only fair after the last trailer and this is what will get poeple intrested. They will see the trailer and then want to learn more about the game the same way the 300 movie got poeple intrested in the battle of themopile while not be acuarit in them slightest. Its not as unreprsentive as you might think apearnty you can vehicle surf and shoot pilots in some vehicles. The main part that intrested me was the becon that the nc put down before all the drop pods was that a referance to how they plan to ballance that feture.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #482
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
This was a CGI story trailer, intended to grab people's attention.

Not an overview of game mechanics, there are plenty of trailers for those.
The hope is after seeing the attention grabber, they'll move onto the secondary game mechanic videos.

Also I'm confused by your post.
Cloak and dagger, max suits, and drop pods will all be part of Planetside 2.
I know it's a hype trailer, what I'm trying to get at is that if they had actually tried to represent the actual game play more closely (groups and scale) rather than an individual doing things CoD-kids have wet-dreams to, then they could've created an even bigger hype.

My point about MAX suits, cloak and dagger, and drop pods is that it is not what makes Planetside 2 unique.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #483
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

The trailer as it is has a great effect on people not familiar with the PS-brand.

It even broke through in the previously unaware gaming media - and large part of Europe's gaming press was dead silent about the game. Till now.

Now everyone on various forums, online gaming mags etc. are speaking about how much they wait for the game to come. And what a great CGI trailer it was - some even mentioned only Blizzard had similar level.

Well, a trailer with a more "planetside-ish" approach (like the OP suggested) on the same quality like we've seen probably made the same effect. But it is way more easy to write the storybook of a lone hero than a 3-fraction team-based tactically fighting group inserted in a continent-scale battle. That'd be the theme of an all-night planetside movie, not a 3 mins trailer.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #484
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Re: Death is No Excuse Full Length Trailer

I am so amped that I will be playing as a starship trooper. This has been a dream of mine that could not possibly have come true except for soe and this amazing dev team. Its been a thirty year wish finally come true. Thank you guys for having the vision and the balls to do this.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #485
Arovien
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
This trailer was 92% NC, 7 % VS and 1% TR. I wonder who the NC's lobbyist is, but he's doing a damn good job.
His name is Higby, you might of heard of him.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #486
Novice bot
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
His name is Higby, you might of heard of him.
Not to mention this Smed guy.

Also, OP, did you watch the trailer? Rewind to the last 5 seconds of the trailer, count the number of Vanu on the screen.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #487
ArcGuard
Corporal

Text
"They see me troll'n, they hate'n..." (honestly, this is all I could think of while reading this post)

All those things you say weren't planetside, are planetside 2. Jetpack, maxes, big bulky transports (that look like boats in the sky), etc.

To me, it looked like one guy's view (you, the player) in this giant battle that is going on around you. And in the end, you don't matter, because you're one man. And there are so many of them out there. (exemplified by the massive VS army coming onto the battlefield at the end). I thought it was an amazing representation of Planetside 2. (albeit, not a 1:1 accurate gameplay trailer, as it's made to be more action/movie)

Last edited by ArcGuard; 2012-07-26 at 01:29 PM.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #488
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

It was a commercial, for the love of god! Have you ever seen a commercial that actually represented what it was presenting to you??? Jersey Shore claims it's fun, but we all know it isn't! Wearing AXE deodorant will not make beautiful women want to have sex with you! PlanetSide will not play like that!

It was just a cheesy action flick intended to get people's attention and say, hey, that looked kind of cool, so they google the name "Planetside 2" to see what it is. Then they see, oh, it's an MMOFPS..... factions.... persistent.... Cool, I'll watch this more closely and maybe play when it comes out.

It is not that hard a concept to grasp. I do not understand all the outrage over a commercial...
Old 2012-07-26, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #489
Joe Soldier
Private

That video was pretty cool (obviously the game will not be exactly like that, but it was really mind blowing. I understand it is for advertising purposes but the only thing that bothers me is this: why did the TR have to die like that!!! (That was just something personal, but other than that, the video was cool.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #490
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Wait this is only part 1 of 3, I mean that does make sense seeing as its a story trailer but it only really had a one faction focus. But was this 3 part cinematic thing confirmed by anyone who would know for certain or is it just a guess?
Old 2012-07-26, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #491
OhFiddlesticks
Private

I'd love an option to have that first-person visor effect that the vanu infiltrators had in the trailer. I don't know why, but I love that sort of stuff.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #492
Magnifly
Private

The galaxies sure are poorly armored
Old 2012-07-26, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #493
Rodel
Sergeant

No it was not supposed to represent Planetside 2. It was supposed to look Bad Ass!! Anyone who is posting on these forums is not in the target demographic so at the risk of sounding insensitive our opinions don't matter. This was an advert tactic that is irrelevant to us.

Radar X pointed this out... we just got to pull the ego out of this one.
Old 2012-07-26, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #494
JoeDragon
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ITOS View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	TRLove.png
Views:	125
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	817

It can love you...
Fixed

Does that look evil to you!?
Old 2012-07-26, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #495
Idunno
Private

I was already sold - long before I saw this trailer, but now that I've seen it, I'm struggling to understand what SOE is trying to achieve here. Sure it looked nice, and sure the things that happened rival some of the best action-scenes in existence. But all things considered, this trailer does nothing to showcase what makes Planetside what it is.

Jet packs? That's not Planetside. Mechsuits? Nope. Big, bulky transport aircraft? Nyah, close, but certainly not the kind you can destroy by sliding on and shooting the pilot through the window. Drop pods? That's not Planetside. Cloak & Knife? Not Planetside. A single narrative of super-soldier? Fortunately not Planetside.

So what is Planetside?

1. Three factions. EDIT

This trailer was 92% NC, 7 % VS and 1% TR. I wonder who the NC's lobbyist is, but he's doing a damn good job. And now that I've been informed at this is merely pt.1 of 3, each going to showcase a specific faction, this point is irrelevant. So ignore it.

2. Persistence.

Could be included in a trailer, but not too important to represent in a cinematic (imo of course).

3. Massive numbers

Hardly emphasized enough. He might be running through an army of enemies and there might be a massive army appearing at the end, but the focus of almost the entire video is on him and other than a team mate taking an explosive shell to the face for him, he seems to be doing totally fine on his own. Show me squads! Lots and lots of squads!

4. Logistics and teamwork

Other than the beacon at the end and the Vanu having surrounded him, there was no positive representation of either teamwork or logistics. The Galaxy getting plucked out the sky by a light weapon was a mockery of teamwork; 12 guys rendered completely helpless, while they hurl towards the ground for an inevitable death. And everything else just seemed like a chaotic zerg for the most part.

And it all comes down to why? Why would SOE make a trailer that is so generic that almost any FPS-making game company could have made it? Several games create a hype by showing an un-achievable, impossible (for in-game) number of players in their trailers, so the fact that SOE does that is not sufficient. Unlike other developers, SOE is not lying about their numbers and in order to do that justice, the trailer should have focus on a lot of different things occuring simultaneously and not just one guy doing things that are not possible (shooting pilots has been confirmed to be impossible - at least for light weapons).

A way they could've represented this better, would be to start with a common satellite shot from above, giving some indication to the sheer numbers and them converging on a TR facility. It could then zoom to some NC commander sitting in a Sunderer in the process of communicating to three different platoon, first tanks, then air and then 10 man TR squad overlooking the NC infantry platoon, where the leader is nodding into the voice-com... and only then you should start with all the amazing combat sequencing. A game like this really needs to provide some better context in order to represent all the extra layers that makes it unique.

And then when it comes to the actual combat, they should've done it like Brink. A short clip for every class doing something amazing, only to have their mortality on display as another class kills them off and takes the spotlight. Preferably with the squad visibly in the shot at all times. This way the camera could jump between both classes and factions, giving a balanced view of the factions, classes and importance of teamwork all at the same time.
Its a trailer, when have they ever been about the actual game? Its about grabbing attention.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion