liberator (bomber), what do you envision? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's a bird! It's a plane! No! It's Hamma!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-30, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
wasupx
Private

liberator (bomber), what do you envision?

heres what i wish/expect

Production: Dropship center
Speed: top speed between reaver galaxy, same for maneuverability.
Crew:4
Armor=medium armor (something like a deliverer?)
Armament: 40pilot triggered bombs (4bombs per reload 20per box, each the strength of a vanguard 150mm shot, pilot triggers the drop, rate of fire=vanguard?).
2x75mm cannon on each side (i.e. spectre gunship c130?)
1x20mm cannon rear (not crappy like galaxy rear gun, but rear mounted with pivot fully vertical (180degrees) and horizontal 180degrees (i.e. only direction you cant shoot at is forward targets)
Cost: 3certs

Notes...The driver should be able to view not just horizontal (left to right) from cockpit, but the design should be that he can see below him to certain degree (without using 3rdperson!). Glass cockpit whatever, just would be cooler Rear gun has to be much better range of motion than the galaxies, the galaxy rear gun is the suck imo. Finally, this i think should be the first air vehicle they should implement penalties for hovering/flying slowly. Hate to see these "camping" a doorway/tower. Possible solutions is to make the nose of the bomber drop 45degrees or so when under 30% thrust, thus making ineffective the side/rear guns to some degree. Or make afterburners only usable over 50% thrust. Trunk=2x20ammo bombs, 2x100 75mm ammo 2x100 20mm ammo.

What you guys looking for the liberator?
Old 2003-05-30, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

big target. to kill with my phoenix. no hovering. thats it. i'll be happy then.

Old 2003-05-30, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vis Armata
Contributor
Sergeant Major

All I see coming out of the bomber is a 3-4 man crew, probably 20mm cannons max (1 rear, one fixed for the pilot), 20-30 bombs (hopefully with different types of ordinance, like plasma). Faster than a Galaxy, but not by much. Fairly heavy armor, but low on maneuverability. Whatever would be best to preserve teamwork over a 3-man glassification of Cyssor.
Old 2003-05-30, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Seer
Major

It will be hard to balance the bomber. I just hope there will be a way to make the bombs fall accurately from a great height, such as a footsoldier being able to paint a target or set of targets with a laser as his squad's bomber makes an overflight. Or a bombardier sighting the targets with some manual instrument, a la WW2, since PS doesn't seem to have any guided technology worth mentioning.

What I don't want to see is "Reaver, take 2."

On second thought, anything that uses gravity to deliver its payload, guided or not, will invariably have to fly like 50 meters off the ground in ps if it wants a chance at vehicles and infantry.

Last edited by Seer; 2003-05-30 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2003-05-30, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
wasupx
Private

I think everyone imagines it being a strict bomber vs fighter/bomber. I hope they implement momentum into the bombs..i.e the faster your going the earlier you have to release the bomb. Actually, having someone other than bomb trigger being able to observe below would be cool. Thus they can designate targets using waypoints. But waypoints need to be easier to designate without using the map tool.
Old 2003-05-30, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrFinch
Private

Lots of grief points...
Old 2003-05-30, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tieom
Master Sergeant

I envision a 3-person bomber - Pilot, tailgunner, and bombadier.
Pretty fast, but no afterburners and it turns like a pregnant yak. Reasonably heavy armor.

Tailgunner has a 180 degree vertical arc and a 120 degree horizontal arc.

Bombadier gets his view from the belly of the bomber (Much like in Tribes 2, but no guns). Bomb-dropping works like this: Primary fire is just carpet bombing, 5-10 bombs/reload (depending on bomb power), with a good rate of fire, and some random side-to-side front-to-back spread. Bomber carries about 30-60 of these (again, depending on bomb power). Secondary fire switches to guided mode where the bombadier paints a target and the bomber auto-drops a bomb at the correct time such that it will hit the target spot-on. Obviously in some cases this would be impossible, in which case the bomber would not drop a bomb. The bomb itself is dumbfire, the bomber just computes the correct time to launch, so the bombadier would have to lead moving targets. Guided mode uses one-shot-per-reload bombs that come in packs of 5 or so, and would come in various flavors like Plasma, Anti-tank, etc. Bombers would spawn with about 10 in each flavor along with 'enough' tailgun rounds and 30-60 regular bombs.

Well, that's what I think it should be like, anyways...
=D
Old 2003-05-30, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
SC385
Corporal

I would expect some dumb n00b to drop an entire payload on a base as soon as a team enters the compound
Old 2003-05-30, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
wasupx
Private

you know how rockets can be sighted by the smoke trail? Would be cool if each bomb would have a little red light/dot (like a red LED) on the tip.

"Hey whats that red dot in the sky?"
Old 2003-05-30, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
gonnagetyou
First Lieutenant

I'd like to see something like a Stuka dive bomber from WW2. You have to dive on the target and you can only release 4 or 6 bombs per dive with there being a long reload of say 5 to 6 seconds. It should also have a small 20mm machinegun for self defense.

Forcing you to dive on the target in order to be accurate would help prevent some needless friendly fire.

Plus a cool siren like the Stuka had would be great for shock value.

I love flying the Stuka in IL2 Sturmovik for that same reason.
Old 2003-05-30, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Silo5
Corporal

I dont think the bomber is a good idea... but thats just me.
Old 2003-05-30, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

I am sure it will be like this:

2 man crew (piolit/gunner)
80 kph (same a gal, buggies, etc)
The gunner must be OVER his target to drop the bombs
Bombs are such as reaver rockets, but about 2.5X dmg, but fire half as fast, and fall slowly
Armor is 2X reaver, to 3/4ths gal
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-05-31, 12:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
TransportPilot
Private

Personally I think that the bomber should not have any type of hovering cappacity. Also the pilot should be able to assign bombing waypoints, ( one for each bomb on board lasting about 5 minutes allowing bombing crews to mark the target before reaching an enemy base/outpost/etc ) These waypoints would be visible to all allied players with maybe a radial showing the potential hazard distance cause by the bomb ( as in splash damage radius ) Also the bombs would not be able to deploy until entering the waypoint ( the daimater of the target zone being anywhere between the length of the lighting to maybe even a sunder )Waypoints should have to have a low minmum distance to prevent one location ( such as an entrence to a building ) from recieving the whole payload of one bomber. I feel that a noticable radius and waypoints would be nice to prevent playters from accidently wandering into an area about to be bombed.

Something easier to pull off would be a gunship ( I'd love a gunship ) Maybe have a pilot, four gunners using something a little heavier than a 75mm cannon and possible another gunner turret for something like dual grenade launchers. Good armor but poor handling and about as fast as a galaxy.
Old 2003-05-31, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Endodroid
Private

How about dropping bombs that only drain NTU from bases, doesn't do anything to troops or vehicles. Maybe disables base turrets for a few seconds too.

Would take four or five bombing runs to drain a base.
Old 2003-05-31, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Kaltagesta
Banned

it should need a runway to take off and land.
bombs fall slow and can be shot out of sky.
bomber goes slow and has turning of 'pregnant yak'
dont care about gunners.
have no radar and must fly really low.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion