Planetside Retail - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It'll make ya feel better
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-31, 01:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Duilin
Private

That is possibly the worst comparison I have ever heard... And if you could read you would see where I said the issue for me isnt the fact that it costs money, its whether its worth the money it costs. I have nothing against paying if I believe it is worth it (I pay for daoc now), I was just trying to figure out if it is worth it.
Old 2003-05-31, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

I don't know aobut everyone else, but the only content i look for is fun. IF thats not what you're looking for, if you want to go around clicking continuously on the same stupid mosters just to see your little character get a new glowing sword, go somewhere else.

Old 2003-05-31, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Duilin
Private

How long have you had PS for? I played it for 2 months in beta and I soon found base hopping wasnt quite as much fun as it was when I first started playing.
Old 2003-05-31, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Duilin
Private

On the note of what I was saying, this post seems to say it decently well (I dont agree with some points, but the overall one is definitely a good point)

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...&threadid=8935
Old 2003-05-31, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sputty
Banned

Originally posted by Hamma
Welcome to the world of MMO's

Guess what? It costs some serious cash to keep all these servers running, and some serious cash to keep a dev team on board (the same team as release right now)

This is an FPS people, if you want content, or if you want to battle 30hours to gain some magical sword, go play something else.

Either that or define "content" in an FPS, please. I want to hear what "content" you look for.
Want teh pr0n in PS
Old 2003-05-31, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Seer
Major

Ozz13 brings up a good and often missed point: playing other online games isn't technically free. Small server admins end up footing the hosting bill. Unless you're paying for or running your own server like Ozz, you're just playing on someone else's dime. At least when you play Ps, it's your own.
Old 2003-05-31, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Duilin
Private

When I played CS, I would often help pay or run the servers... and I rarely played on pubs anyway, so that doesnt apply....

and that doesnt relate to the point at all =\
Old 2003-05-31, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Ozz13
Private

Well, kinda disagree my post is off the subject due to probably over 1/2 the comments refer to the continuing charge to play.
Old 2003-05-31, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Duilin
Private

They refer to it, but I dont have anything at all against it... I am just saying that I myself do not believe the game is worth that much montly.
Old 2003-05-31, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Matuse
First Sergeant

Then don't play it. Seriously.

If large scale, evolving warfare with new vehicles/weapons added periodically doesn't ring your bell, then don't play it.

How you can be bored of the playstyle in PS, and yet return to CS maps a thousand times while still having fun...well, god doesn't even know how that can be true.
Old 2003-05-31, 05:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally posted by Sputty
Want teh pr0n in PS
This I can understand

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-05-31, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
RUEN
Staff Sergeant

It isnt a standard FPS, you are on a HUGE continent.. with thousands of people, in a persistant ever changing world. IS that not enough for people?

If it isnt, go contineu playing the same half life maps over, and over, and over, and over.
How is playing the same Half-Life maps over and over dis-similar to fighting in bases that look EXACTLY alike over and over and over?
Old 2003-05-31, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Glaynor
Sergeant Major

What I don't get is people complaining about 'content'. It is simple - either you like this type of game or you don't. It has content - it is just whether you like it or not.

What content does it have you may ask. Well to me it has: squads - the ability for 10 people to work as a unit, unlike all other games. It is not like Raven Shield which is one squad vs. one squad, or MOH which is just army vs. army running into one another. Here tactics are utilized, different members are needed and coordination is necessary.

levels - you can actually get different abilities as you raise your experience. How useful and how many diffferent functions you can perform are based upon kills and experience. This is much better than just getting everything the first time you log on. It is something to strive for, something to attain.

Fun - it is a first person shooter where relationships are formed with other people who want to engage in similar small squad yet large army tactical FPS situations. Getting into an outfit is clearly helpful based upon leadership. Most people will listen to someone else in their outfit a lot more than some stranger. You also will trust the judgement of an outfit leader usually.

Experience is secondary to the goal of having fun and killing the enemy. I've played FPS forever and it is always routine. Here, the money is charged becuase you won't have to worry about having the right mods, or having tons of lag (theoretically becuase I believe lag will get better) and the Devs will listen to what the gamers want and try to supply it.

To those who complain - you obviously don't like what the game offers, its not that the game doesn't have aything to offer.
Old 2003-05-31, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Endodroid
Private

I think �content� is a misused word when people complain that PS needs more of it. The game has plenty of variety for vehicles and weapons (though there should still be more empire specific vehicles added I feel), to me planetside would be an even better game if they added impact to holding or losing a base other than xp points. The game needs a little �holy shit, if they capture that base we�re going to really be hating life� feeling added to it.

Kind of like when you�re playing an RTS and one side starts to develop super weapons in the tech tree, though instead of having to wait for the tech to be �researched� it should just be a mater of capturing a base. There was a point early in the beta that I thought that was where the game was going to take shape, but then the lattice was put in place and the other stuff was ripped out of the game.
Old 2003-05-31, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
IDgaf
Sergeant

I agree with Endodroid that content isn't the correct word. I can't think of a alternative, though. Perhaps someone else can.

At any rate, I hope we would all agree that PS needs more to bring it out of the realm of 'being good' into the realm of being excellent.

Apart from XP issues and bringng the fight into the open a bit more - using the map as a whole - the bases certainly need amendment.

In a way each base - or at least a hell of a lot of them - should different. Mix it up a bit, make give us basis that make us use our weapons and vehicles creatively.

Make each one as interesting as CS level instead of a big concrete block dropped into the game. That's one of the kind of content I want. (For now.)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion