News: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit! - Page 33 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tango down!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-01, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #481
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Matt Higby doing a Q&A at reddit!

I somehow suspect that adv. medic is common enough to be considered part of the grunt loadout. I mean why not, it's only two extra points. Might as well tack it onto what you've got and then you can all be self healing/repairing anti-infantry/vehicle/MAX troopers that can also res. A homogenous militia of undifferentiated jacks of all trades.

Last edited by Talek Krell; 2011-09-01 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2011-09-01, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #482
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I somehow suspect that adv. medic is common enough to be considered part of the grunt loadout. I mean why not, it's only two extra points. Might as well tack it onto what you've got and then you can all be self healing/repairing anti-infantry/vehicle/MAX troopers that can also res.
I dominate vehicles all day with my striker. And Maxes; they just melt to my decis. Especially Splatters.

When you're ready to have a serious discussion instead of hyperbole let me know, okay? As it stands AV/HA/Med/ENG only excels against anti-infantry in < 50 m ranges. It's decent anti-armor but leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-01 at 09:40 PM.
Old 2011-09-01, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #483
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I dominate vehicles all day with my striker. And Maxes; they just melt to my decis. Especially Splatters.

When you're ready to have a serious discussion instead of hyperbole let me know, okay?
...Did that not make sense as a response to anyone else?
Old 2011-09-01, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #484
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
...Did that not make sense as a response to anyone else?
You heavily implied that HA/AV/Med/ENG hard counters everything in the game, which is hyperbole.

"then you can all be self healing/repairing anti-infantry/vehicle/MAX (super) troopers that can also res"

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-01 at 10:03 PM.
Old 2011-09-01, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #485
Sirisian
Colonel

I never viewed Med/Eng/HA/AV as a one man army. Having different degrees of healing and repairing should be key. I prefer when players can heal and repair each other, but a medic and engineer can do it much faster or with an AOE along with their other abilities.

There should be an obvious disadvantage to having a holstered med tool or repair tool. In my eyes you're giving up another tool or weapon that could be useful. This is assuming the game branches out with a lot of choices and that switching from "inventory" items to holstered items takes a while.

Honestly though holding a sniper rile, SA, AV, HA, MA at the same time with enough ammo to do something shouldn't really be possible with the holster/inventory system so ideally it would be hard to become an army of one even without classes.
Old 2011-09-01, 10:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #486
Zulthus
Colonel

Players can't heal and rep at the same time?

Thank you, Higby. This made the game sound a hell of a lot better. Heal yourself with medkits, fine. You should rely on medics and engineers to completely fix you up.
Old 2011-09-01, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #487
Senyu
First Lieutenant

To me Planetside 1 at first was having lots of people fit different roles in the battlefield and working together. Not one man armies it is now today. Sounds like their enforcing that and I like it.
Old 2011-09-01, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #488
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
To me Planetside 1 at first was having lots of people fit different roles in the battlefield and working together. Not one man armies it is now today. Sounds like their enforcing that and I like it.
If you read Double's post you will see that "one man armies" have been possible since release.
Actual one man armies have only been possible since BRr40, AND NO ONE WANTS THAT.
Old 2011-09-01, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #489
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Dont worry so much about not havin med, you are gonna die so freakin fast that you wont have time to heal. They are makin the TTK absurdly fast. Its the other added bonuses that medics will get that will make em more useful rather than the heal aspect.

Honestly its good its not br40 style. But keep in mind you can still do anything ya want just by pickin your class when ya spawn. If you want to be the medic support guy get him, if you wanna go guns ablazing you can pick your HA man. Really, you arent limited much at all, esp since you can change it up with ease. You just cant do everythign all in one set up like br40. And you can bunch things up and call it whatever package you want, but you cant honestly think that its good gameplay to be able to repair armor, repair players, have the best AI (HA) and the best AV weapons all in one set up. Thats absurd. Gotta break it up a bit.
Old 2011-09-01, 11:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #490
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
and the best AV weapons all in one set up. Thats absurd. Gotta break it up a bit.

... it's the only AV. And yes, I can honestly think it's good gameplay, because I do.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-09-01 at 11:27 PM.
Old 2011-09-02, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #491
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
Dont worry so much about not havin med, you are gonna die so freakin fast that you wont have time to heal. They are makin the TTK absurdly fast. Its the other added bonuses that medics will get that will make em more useful rather than the heal aspect.

Honestly its good its not br40 style. But keep in mind you can still do anything ya want just by pickin your class when ya spawn. If you want to be the medic support guy get him, if you wanna go guns ablazing you can pick your HA man. Really, you arent limited much at all, esp since you can change it up with ease. You just cant do everythign all in one set up like br40. And you can bunch things up and call it whatever package you want, but you cant honestly think that its good gameplay to be able to repair armor, repair players, have the best AI (HA) and the best AV weapons all in one set up. Thats absurd. Gotta break it up a bit.
The problem is that from what Higby has said they are breaking it up too much. Here's Matt's response to one of Graywolves's questions:

10.Can I still heal, repair, drive, and lead all while kicking ass with my cycler?
10 - healing and repairing are both exclusive to two different classes, so no. Well, you can heal yourself with a medkit!
More and more the impression I'm getting is that it'll be like we'll all be something like a ~BR10 with unlimited re-cert capabilities. Which is something I can live with if I happen to be fighting in close proximity to a term so I can quickly swap out classes as needed.

But class limitations as extreme as it sounds like they might be implementing are going to put an extreme damper on any operations out in the field that require any significant length of time or that call for a very small number of soldiers performing black ops where a vehicle like an AMS might give them away.

In a combined arms game like PS1/2 it's inevitable that you will come across multiple different types of enemy units in quick succession, if not simultaneously. With the PS/2 class system I'm afraid that it might not even be possible to carry both a decent AI and AV weapon Or if you do, that you won't be able to heal or repair yourselves due to a class system that is too confining.

The MA/AV/Rexo/Eng/Adv Hacker loadout that I mentioned above is not at all OP'd or a "one-man army" in my eyes and I see no reason why we shouldn't be allowed to have such a loadout. But my fear is that with the class system we won't even be able to do something like that.

Heck, in PS1 even a BR8 character can do MA/AV/Rexo/Eng. How is that a one-man army?
Old 2011-09-02, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #492
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Old 2011-09-02, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #493
Aractain
Major

One man army is hyperbole, an exaguration. "No Important Weaknesses" is what I would say. In PS1 you could bypass or counter everything as the "One Grunt". There were many kinds of grunts, cloaker grunts, greybie grunts, MAX grunts, n00b grunts. One Grunt to beat them all, and in the darkness, rape them in the basement.

They appear to be breaking that up and forcing you to make a choice which is going to be more fun for the majority of the player base.
Old 2011-09-02, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #494
Shogun
Contributor
General

i wish they would wipe the new ideas and return to the good old cert and br20 system as it was in ps1 in the good old days. paired with the cap of course!

there were no jackofalltrades back then and it played out fine as long as we had a significant playerbase.
the br was risen because there were not enough players any more and so people had to be able to be selfsufficient for you cannot rely on dedicated medics if there are none.
Old 2011-09-02, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #495
coLMinigun
Private

I realllllllly hope they reconsider the idea that you can't heal and repair yourself .
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion