Game Engine: Empire Specific HUDs - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: May contain nuts
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.47 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-07-21, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info
Empire Specific HUDs

Was thinking about this and This would be a amazing easy way to create a feeling of Uniqueness to every empire.

Just basically a Different Theme to the HUD. No advantages or disadvantages.
Easy to make. Would be cool to see them.

Think of the Starcraft 2 Huds when you play the 3 different races. Makes them unique Easily.

What do you guys think.
Old 2011-07-21, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Empire Specific HUDs

Seems harmless. Silly, but harmless.

*CutterJohn is picturing a trio of graphic designers asking high command if there is anything at all they can do to aid the war effort.

Tbh, I'm hoping the HUD is so minimal that little room is left to worry about style, and I'd prefer not having crazy fonts.
Old 2011-07-21, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

as long as we can tell the difference between o, 0, i, l, s, 5, and such ill be fine. still cool though.
Old 2011-07-23, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Nothing wrong with it.

I would just prefer a fully customizable HUD. Color, size, position (bow chika bow wow) are all things I'd like to be able to customize.
Old 2011-07-23, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Dreamcast
Major

I was just gonna make this thread.

Also vechiles in general should have different huds IMO.
Old 2011-07-23, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Nothing wrong with it.

I would just prefer a fully customizable HUD. Color, size, position (bow chika bow wow) are all things I'd like to be able to customize.
The second I saw the thread title this is what I thought.

I've wondered before how much freedom people could be given to customize their HUD in PS2, even to the point of "add-ons". I certainly don't see a problem with having empire-specific huds though, even if it's just colour differentiation.
Old 2011-07-24, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tigersmith View Post
Was thinking about this and This would be a amazing easy way to create a feeling of Uniqueness to every empire.
I agree 100%, this would be awesome for differentiating gameplay videos and making you feel more connected to your chosen faction. I feel that FPS HUDs should be fairly minimal, but you could still have some badass fonts/ammo gauges/indicators that looked distinctly TR/NC/VS.

What if there were even some certifications/upgrades that altered and improved your HUD? For example, an infiltrator with scuba equipment could spec his HUD to display his current oxygen supply, or a Reaver pilot could have relevant flight data displayed on his visor HUD when in the cockpit.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-24, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

TR would have oval/circle objects on their hud, NC boxes, and the VS umm... something (why are they like the odd man out every damn time!?)

Also, one thing I rarely ever see but particularly like is when you can see even just a sliver of your helmet in your view. It helps to sell the feeling that you're actually a soldier in the field, not a floating head with arms. The most notable example I can think of is Republic Commando:

But as always, a fully customizable hud. I like it when my ammo counter is right next to my cross-hair. Extra points if the counter is on the gun itself though.
Old 2011-07-24, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Vancha
Colonel

^
I wouldn't want it to be quite as intrusive as that, but I like the idea (as well as making the HUD an actual HUD, rather than just stats in the corner of a screen).
Old 2011-07-24, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

It's not really that intrusive during actual gameplay, bit more exposed than needs to be I'll admit, but you really won't lose anything worth watching out for in those blind spots. Either way, a smart developer *hint hint* would make sure it's a toggle, since it's purely a cosmetic thing not meant to blind the player like heavy sandstorms are meant to do.
Old 2011-07-24, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Im sure whatever the HUD is now you will be able to customize it. or even mod it.
Old 2011-07-29, 12:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I like the idea of an imersive HUD, like it being part of your suit, like crysis etc..

Might be difference for different factions, rexo or max armor or again different when in different vehicles. Great ideas, but would pointless if it left you at all disadvantaged or was so distracting that the majority of players just switched it to a default HUD style.
Old 2011-09-09, 09:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

RPS: Right down to the UI too?

Higby: Aspects of the UI do change between factions.

**Confirmed**

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...-2/#more-73198
Old 2011-09-18, 04:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tikuto
Major

I'd want SOE PlanetSide team, TRay and Higby as a Twitter feed in my helmet.
Old 2011-09-24, 03:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Traak
Colonel

how about adding audio indicators that can replace or augment visuals for low ammo, low health/armor, etc?

for those who prefer a less-to-completely non-cluttered FOV.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault