PSU: > Jesus
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Old 2009-09-26, 03:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Strygun
Contributor
Major General

Re: [Newswire] PlanetSide 2 in the works?

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
It's about time!!!
wow.. he's alive! Good to see you around here, Miir... you rocked PS videos/movies
Old 2009-09-26, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Of course you know my boys in Black Widow Company are watching with interest, why wouldn't we be back on the prowl?

What gets me is, first of all... you don't NEED a fucking Planetside 2. What you need is marketing and PR for Planetside. There's nothing WRONG with the game (even including BFRs now that they're gimped all to hell). It'd be like making an EVE 2. I work in the gaming industry - why would you make a 2nd game for one that isn't broke in the first place?

Second of all... is Planetside 2 going to have the same marketing/PR team for the first one? As in, not a thing? I went to SOE Fan Faire 2006 and I met the marketing guy and when I said "This game needs marketing" he said "I've done more for Planetside in the last 6mos than anyone's ever done."

My reply was, because I had a few beers, "Well then you must have mentioned it in a blog because you still haven't done shit with the game."

This game will always be my most favorite game. It will always hold a place in my heart. But seriously - SOE didn't market the game worth a shit. I talk to hardcore FPS gamers and about 7 of 10 times I hear "Planetside? WTF is that?"
Old 2009-09-26, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Give me small squads within platoon action and I am satisfied. This game was a revolutionary attempt at melding the FPS MMO genres and was, in my opinion, quite successful. If they are able to take advantage of newer code, exploit the better technology today and design a PS2, so be it. As long as it gives me the experience we had in the early days of PS1. There is nothing quite like fighting alongside almost three dozen screaming Dragon Wolves scrabbling for every square foot knowing the soldier at your side had you covered. Not only that, seeing that your Outfit's flank was covered by Outfits like BWC - man, gimme them days back.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2009-09-27, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Zeta
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
What gets me is, first of all... you don't NEED a fucking Planetside 2. What you need is marketing and PR for Planetside. There's nothing WRONG with the game (even including BFRs now that they're gimped all to hell). It'd be like making an EVE 2. I work in the gaming industry - why would you make a 2nd game for one that isn't broke in the first place?
I strongly dissagree with this.

sure planetside is fine for you and I, and anyone else who stuck around with it, but this game has been unable to KEEP a vast majority of players. It needs fixing. I've seen tons of people play this game. Tons in the early days, tons in recent times, and tons on free trials. The players are there and know about it, they're just not staying.

I talk to hardcore gamers as well, and sure planetside always comes up, but few of them are actively playing it. Everyone I've talked to says it's too slow. Waiting for hacks, unable to spawn at adjacent bases, waiting for the HART, drawing your weapons and pulling vehicles at a snails pace compared to other games, infantry not dieing precipitously.

I'm not saying we should all be playing a blistering UT2K4/Quake deathmatch, but it's not holding the interest/attention of the vast majority of gamers playing Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake Wars, Tribes, Day of Defeat
Old 2009-09-27, 05:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Dorest0rm
Master Sergeant

Misc Info

A new game with fixed engine is way better than fixing this one up.

Also with a new one we can probably have terrains changed again.
Old 2009-09-27, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
xuur
Inventor of Dirt

ok, so like....they got my attention.

if anything at all, beta should kick some azz

Old 2009-09-27, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
BrawlingKelt
Private

Hey all. BrawlingKelt, former CO of Pwners. It's been a long time since I've said the word "Planetside". Much weirder was me finding that email in my inbox. I'd have to agree with those comments above, in that they can recreate the game all they want (either with a new game, or a rehash of the older one), but if they don't MARKET the damn thing, it won't matter at all. Even WoW, with all the players it has, still advertises. I think that's what killed PS1, and if repeated, will kill PS2.

ADVERTISE SONY!!!
Old 2009-09-27, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by BrawlingKelt View Post
Hey all. BrawlingKelt, former CO of Pwners. It's been a long time since I've said the word "Planetside". Much weirder was me finding that email in my inbox. I'd have to agree with those comments above, in that they can recreate the game all they want (either with a new game, or a rehash of the older one), but if they don't MARKET the damn thing, it won't matter at all. Even WoW, with all the players it has, still advertises. I think that's what killed PS1, and if repeated, will kill PS2.

ADVERTISE SONY!!!
Seriously, look what 1 little email did to drum up interest over PS2.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2009-09-27, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
I strongly dissagree with this.

sure planetside is fine for you and I, and anyone else who stuck around with it, but this game has been unable to KEEP a vast majority of players. It needs fixing. I've seen tons of people play this game. Tons in the early days, tons in recent times, and tons on free trials. The players are there and know about it, they're just not staying.

I talk to hardcore gamers as well, and sure planetside always comes up, but few of them are actively playing it. Everyone I've talked to says it's too slow. Waiting for hacks, unable to spawn at adjacent bases, waiting for the HART, drawing your weapons and pulling vehicles at a snails pace compared to other games, infantry not dieing precipitously.

I'm not saying we should all be playing a blistering UT2K4/Quake deathmatch, but it's not holding the interest/attention of the vast majority of gamers playing Battlefield, Call of Duty, Quake Wars, Tribes, Day of Defeat
I see why you'd disagree and you're entitled to it. You're free to disagree. But are you disagreeing for another point, or are you disagreeing that there was marketing and PR? Ask yourself, during the game's heyday... how much marketing was there from SOE?
Old 2009-09-27, 03:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Hamma
PSU Admin

SOE certainly failed in Marketing PlanetSide there really is little question there. Many mistakes were made.

I disagree with not needing a new game, PlanetSide's engine is pretty outdated at this point and it would be difficult to bring it back to it's former glory. Money would be better spent in a new one.

On the flip side they need to make sure the new game has a good, expandable engine that wouldn't require a complete redo to change a base for example.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2009-09-27, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

My Vindicators (VS Emerald) and I getting far too excited about the possibility of PS2!

What I put in the last section of the survey:

1. New terrain, with new bases of possibly modular design to keep them different and interesting to fight over.
2. Scrap infantry third person, as it just encourages camping and stalemates indoors.
3. Pilots and drivers not allowed to use heavy weaponry.
4. Head shots and vehicle weak points.
5. Urban combat
6. Free trial up to BR6, Buy the box for up to BR15 and CR3 or subscribe to get maximum BR and CR.
7. Modular vehicle weapon systems (think mechwarrior style setup).

As long as they keep a similar levelling system as the certs and keep it FPS with hundreds of players I'll be happy!
Old 2009-09-27, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
SOE certainly failed in Marketing PlanetSide there really is little question there. Many mistakes were made.

I disagree with not needing a new game, PlanetSide's engine is pretty outdated at this point and it would be difficult to bring it back to it's former glory. Money would be better spent in a new one.

On the flip side they need to make sure the new game has a good, expandable engine that wouldn't require a complete redo to change a base for example.
You can update a game's engine. It's not the easiest thing in the world but it's certainly been done.
Old 2009-09-27, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Zeta
Private

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I see why you'd disagree and you're entitled to it. You're free to disagree. But are you disagreeing for another point, or are you disagreeing that there was marketing and PR? Ask yourself, during the game's heyday... how much marketing was there from SOE?
hmmm. Looking at a lot of replies I'm surprised at how many people don't think there was enough marketing for planetside. I mean everyone I've talked to seemed to know about it. They just didn't like playing it. I always see newbies in this game too. From long ago and up until today. But none of them stay.

I'm fine with the way planetside is now, but everyone I've talked to says it's built too slow and that it doesn't hold their interest/attention like any of their other games do. (BF2142/1942/2, ET Quake Wars, CoD,Tribes)

Last edited by Zeta; 2009-09-27 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2009-09-27, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

A majority of those games (if not all) are server-based "instances" at best, or "e-sports". They're matches. An MMO is persistent. I can tell you that of the many years in which I played Planetside, at its peak and at its slowest, that I never got bored.

Yeah we have to wait 15min for a non-LLU hack. Yeah you have to sit through the animation for a spawning vehicle, versus running up to a pre-spawned vehicle. The trade-off is that you're not fighting against 8 other players (presuming a 16v16 is evenly balanced and full). The trade-off is that you're fighting against, potentially, hundreds of other players.

Many of my fondest FPS moments came strictly from Planetside. I can count other FPS moments from other games, but if I tallied all the ones from other games, combined they would not stack to the memories of Planetside.

Or the time when we were sure we'd sit quietly for a 15-min base hack waiting for it to go through, and all of a sudden the VS decided that base resecure was their primary target. I'll wait 15 minutes because that 15min "secure" was positively the best fight I have ever seen in a video game. I was sure that we'd lose the hack on multiple occasions. We had some random hero manage to stop a re-secure at the last possible second on no less than three separate occasions in that one span. That's not including the waves of Lasher-spamming idiots and VS Max crashes that breached the CC.

Memories like four full Galaxies flying into a hotly contested base at low altitude and nearly being blown out of the sky because of the fierce AA fire. Four full Galaxies is almost five full squads. That's versus a hundred other players, and that was just my outfit. Not counting the other TR players.

Or the time when my outfit stacked a full platoon in the generator room and held off an onslaught of NC players to the point where we had to kill several of our guys in the generator room, have them respawn as MAX units and get rid of all their ammo, and suicide-rush to bring us "backpacks" full of ammo because we were almost out.

There's also the memory of running an alliance "spec ops" night where we put teams of infiltrators on every base during a three-way fight, and blowing the generators on all the bases. Hearing the comms on Teamspeak, you'd think it was World War 3 because of all the gunfights.

I'd wait the extra four seconds to get in a vehicle for this. I'd wait the extra 15min for a base hack.

But you can't have moments like that when there's jack and shit for PR. And the thing I fear the most is that SOE is going to fuck this one up the way they fucked up the first one. I spoke with the marketing guy from SOE who, most likely because he had too much to drink, admitted that there wasn't enough marketing.
Old 2009-09-27, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Biohazzard56
Contributor
Major General

Just a side note, its good to see everyone.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions