Gameplay: Periodic Randomization of the Uncaps - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: All your base are... Oh forget it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.45 average. Display Modes
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-23, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Periodic Randomization of the Uncaps

This is a simple idea based on one I had before about randomizing continental connections.

Essentially one problem in Planetside is staleness - fighting the same enemy from the same direction at the same base every night. After a while we get really sick of seeing the same situation over and over. To provide an example, in PS1 in the early days, the VS always attacked on Cyssor from Orisha, and the NC always attacked from Ekera (TR had Wele). It was always this same attack pattern over and over again. It wans't until they mixed up the continents and introduced broadcast gates that we got to see what it was like to fight on some of the other continents from different perspectives.

Since we have uncap bases on every continent for all 3 empires I can see this same behavior happening if the uncaps are static for each empire. The fronts will always draw the same way, there will be bases we rarely see and we'll always be fighting from the same direction.

This idea is simple - mix it up periodically, such as once every couple weeks or once a month! Just go through each continent and randomly swap two of the empire uncaps, or rotate all 3 empires (should do both since rotating can also ret repetitive. This gives us different perspectives on invading the continent and exposes us to new tactics and gamplay which we would not have seen had we not been attacking from that new different direction.

The benefits are more varied gameplay and keeping things fresh so we don't get the same battles.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-07-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 2011-07-24, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Periodic Randomization of the Uncaps

Excellent points.

Since we don't know how the uncaps will work randomisation might already be built in.
Old 2011-07-24, 07:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

@Malorn - Great idea man, it would be awesome to see a system like this that constantly keeps things fresh. Maybe a quick notification that pops up when you log in so that you're aware of the new continent orientation. They could even switch one continent a week, for example, so changes could be made more often but to a single area at a time.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-24, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Coreldan
Colonel

I like the idea, at least if it can be implemented so that it rules out any totally stupid randomizations, if those even can exist.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-24, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

If you guys like the ideas please use the vote button at the top of the thread

This forum is sorted by those votes so the ideas people like float to the top and get noticed/discussed more and refined.

Also it may already be in, but support for it never hurts even if it is. The devs use this forum for feedback so let 'em see it.

I suspect that the giant ships we saw in some of the art might be the uncaps. If that's the case then the uncaps moving over differnet warpgates randomly every few weeks just sort of makes sense. They might even be constantly moving around the outside edges of the continents. Though ships make it harder to deploy tanks from them, but there's ways around that.

The randomization itself is very simple if there's 3 static points where uncaps could possibly exist. Given 3 static locations there's 6 permutations of configuration. Simply randomly generate 1-6 and pick one (can re-run it if the same configuratinon comes up).
Old 2011-07-24, 08:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Drentz
Private

Another good point Malorn. Anything to add to the variety of gameplay environments you encounter seems like a good deal to me.
I think it would be cool if the layouts of the uncaps were diff on each continent too.
Old 2011-07-25, 03:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Raymac
Brigadier General

EDIT: I misunderstood what you meant at first. Glad I realized it before I voted lol The following is whats left of my comment that would still apply.

We may have gotten a hint at what the devs have in store to address the fundamental issue you bring up, the staleness of ending up fighting over the same base day after day. They mentioned that we will be fighting over resources in open terrain (partially in enhance the outdoor gameplay). And with those resources, they can spawn and despawn them when and where they want. I forget if I heard this in a panel or read it somewhere, but that would help shift the front lines if we get into a stalemate...which happens.

Last edited by Raymac; 2011-07-25 at 03:07 AM.
Old 2011-07-25, 05:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Traak
Colonel

How about if the bases themselves move? Nothing like constantly-shifting base locations to REALLY change up the game?

A base that is in a valley surrounded by trees one day, then moves slowly over time to on top of one of the surrounding cliffs... how's THAT for non-static.

If we can deploy towers, why can't we move or, better, DEPLOY bases?
Old 2011-07-25, 05:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
How about if the bases themselves move? Nothing like constantly-shifting base locations to REALLY change up the game?

A base that is in a valley surrounded by trees one day, then moves slowly over time to on top of one of the surrounding cliffs... how's THAT for non-static.

If we can deploy towers, why can't we move or, better, DEPLOY bases?
They did mention they are handcrafting all the maps to ensure that every place gives a good, balanced battle. Bases randomizing their locations might sorta fight against that ideology
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-25, 06:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Heh don't need to go overhboard here, just make it so we get to see what its like to fight / defend all sides of a continent over time, with different enemies in the other parts. Even with resources spawning and despawning if the uncaps are static then it'll still be the same faction vs faction fight over certain areas over and over again. This idea just mixes that up so we get more variety.

The mixup doesn't need to happen frequently, it just needs to happen. Some stability is good, changing day-to-day is bad. Something around once every 2 weeks to once every month. It could be weekly if they take the servers down weekly to do maintenace. That'd be a good time to do it. Though I think once a week is probably too frequent.
Old 2011-07-25, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Heh don't need to go overhboard here, just make it so we get to see what its like to fight / defend all sides of a continent over time, with different enemies in the other parts. Even with resources spawning and despawning if the uncaps are static then it'll still be the same faction vs faction fight over certain areas over and over again. This idea just mixes that up so we get more variety.

The mixup doesn't need to happen frequently, it just needs to happen. Some stability is good, changing day-to-day is bad. Something around once every 2 weeks to once every month. It could be weekly if they take the servers down weekly to do maintenace. That'd be a good time to do it. Though I think once a week is probably too frequent.
Perhaps, and if it's done seldom enough, they could actually "handcraft" what actually is cappable and what not, to avoid some stupid randomizations where like one would have to travel all the way to the other end of the continent for the next cappable thing or something. Something like from Ikanam to Tumas
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-07-25, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I think the general impression so far is that the warpgates are where the uncaps are since those were invulnerable in PS1 and we've seen some concept art of stuff around the warpgate. They're also on the outskirts of the continent and make sense if a player is traveling from cont to cont they are right there at the gate.

So at the most basic level it'd basically be randomly swapping which empire is at which warpgate. The territory control system would take over from there. The new location gives you access to attack different territory and will likely re-shape the landscape on that continent, but you'd be attacking it from a different angle and opponent positions have changed so while you may end up fighting over the exact same territory, this next time you'll be on the other side of the ridge, and your opponent may be TR instead of VS. That's pretty much what I'm going for here.
Old 2011-07-25, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I suspect that the giant ships we saw in some of the art might be the uncaps.
Just the concept blows my mind, and I'll be psyched if those ships, in some form or another, make it into PS2. You're right that it seems like the perfect system for uncaps.

I think why I like those ships so much is that they remind me of the floating bases from Tribes. And seeing as how Tribes shares so many things with PlanetSide (devs, concepts, vehicles), I'm pretty pumped up about this

-HC13
Old 2011-07-25, 01:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Just to throw this out there, I haven't seen an active warpgate yet in any of the concept sketches. Feel like there is some Lore otw to explain that.
Old 2011-07-28, 04:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Cool plan, one hitch: territory control.

It'd kind of suck if the TR hold the south east quadrant of a continent, and then the next morning their home base on the continent gets sent to the far end of that continent.

Might be a small gripe in the long run, but I can see some outfits getting upset over losing valuable territories with rarer minerals they could have otherwise defended if only they could deploy from the south east corner of the map!

I guess in a way that could be a stalemate ender too though. Sort of a win-lose scenario really.

I would prefer the occasional rotation/randomization though, and I'd hope there are more than just those 3 locations. Preferably there would be extra empty locations on the continent the uncaps could be harbored in, just for that added bit of randomness.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault