"Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hold still We're trying to light you on fire
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-05, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Death2All
Major

Misc Info
"Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi

First of all, I know this is an early alpha build and nothing is finalized. Just want to get that out of the way before someone instantly dismisses they entire thread based off of that rationale alone.

With that said, what did you guys think of healing beam that was being used during one segment of the live stream? Unfortunately there isn't a VOD up anywhere so I can't show the exact spot where it was, only hope that someone else caught it as well.

Personally, I find healing beams to be lame. Really lame. I'm all for speeding up the gameplay, but I think healing beams just over simplify it to the point that it's boring. Also, healing beams sort of enforce that whole "pocket medic" mentality that you see in games that incorporate them. I don't really feel they have a place in the game.

I'd like to see a more meaningful healing system where it feels like you're actually healing the guy in some shape or form, not just pointing a beam at them and watching their life bar go up gradually. I'm not sure exactly how to capture that. In PS1 you had to stand still if you wanted to be healed/repaired which I feel did a good job at enforcing that elusive teamwork aspect that everyone loves (not sarcasm). You had to actually sit still like a good patient and cooperate with the medic/engy that was repairing you. Not exactly that meaningful, but I'd like to see some spiritual counterpart to that over the boring healing beams of doom.

Again, we have no idea how exactly they work, some further clarification would be nice, but I don't really expect to get any.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-06-05, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: "Healing beams" for the Medic/Engi

Well, I'm not really for/against it, but I can sure say I prefer that to throwing down a medic box and being done with it.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Graywolves
General

The only beam I saw was for the engineer being used on a MAX and it looked kind of odd to me.

Will be interesting to see how some of it ends up looking.

edit:
In PS1 I liked going up against the injured under cover with the med app and healing them up. I think doing things beyond a certain range will kill the sense of urgency. I don't mind if it's at most a couple meters and the beam kind of makes sense and isn't just glowing goodness or a scan animation.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-06-05 at 07:51 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Aurmanite
Captain

It looked like the med applicator had a little range on it. Still looks like it's a down time/out of combat tool, especially with the TTK as low as it is.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

At first i didnt like the idea. But for medic i actually really like the idea. By not throwing down a medpack a person cant just throw it down and get back to shooting. They have to take themselves out of the fight to heal someone. So it brings the risk reward scenario up. Is the risk of me not being able to shoot worth it now?

It makes healing a much more active role rather than a passive role. You can look at Bf3 where they throw down a pack and go straight to shooting. Besides that brief second animation, their healing didnt hinder their offensive capability it actually enhanced it.

So i see it as a good thing.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by SpcFarlen View Post
At first i didnt like the idea. But for medic i actually really like the idea. By not throwing down a medpack a person cant just throw it down and get back to shooting. They have to take themselves out of the fight to heal someone. So it brings the risk reward scenario up. Is the risk of me not being able to shoot worth it now?

It makes healing a much more active role rather than a passive role. You can look at Bf3 where they throw down a pack and go straight to shooting. Besides that brief second animation, their healing didnt hinder their offensive capability it actually enhanced it.

So i see it as a good thing.
Great points.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

When did you notice a healbeam there? That was an engi beam, not Medic beam.

What bothers me more is the fact that MAXes actually regenerate armor by themselves. very slowly but they actually do.

EDIT: On a sidenote - I'm against healing* beams, GA showed what a game can turn into when you give medics a healgun that's rather effective, it becomes too centered around them and very TFish

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-05 at 07:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gelnika
Private

There's really two options that I see for medics, the TF2 style healing gun or the BF style health packs thrown on the ground. I'm personally more a fan of the healing gun because there is more interaction involved in the healing process rather than simply standing on a box some guy threw down, perhaps not even recently. As a medic, I'd find it much more engaging to actually heal someone directly, and as someone seeking a heal, as nice as it would be to stumble upon a health box someone left there 10 minutes ago, it seems impersonal and doesn't lend a whole lot to the aura of teamwork.

TLDR; I like the heal beam.
Old 2012-06-05, 07:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

It kind of makes sense lore wise honestly, what with the nanites and all. Other than that, I'lm ok with it as long as they are well balanced as far as their range, rate of heal etc is concerned.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JHendy
First Sergeant

This is the kind of thing I think should only work on MAXs and vehicles. For all we know that might be the case.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gelnika View Post
There's really two options that I see for medics, the TF2 style healing gun or the BF style health packs thrown on the ground. I'm personally more a fan of the healing gun because there is more interaction involved in the healing process rather than simply standing on a box some guy threw down, perhaps not even recently. As a medic, I'd find it much more engaging to actually heal someone directly, and as someone seeking a heal, as nice as it would be to stumble upon a health box someone left there 10 minutes ago, it seems impersonal and doesn't lend a whole lot to the aura of teamwork.

TLDR; I like the heal beam.
PSide had a med applicator: 10hps, 0m range, it worked fine.

If you add healing beams into PS, they'll turn the game into (see the link below), instead of good tactical moderately-paced shooter:

10vs10, 1 good medic and 9 trololos vs 10 people with several mid-skilled medics an actual working team setup.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFZbN3R4RTk

Healbeams is a no-go. Repairbeam I would understand, but not a healbeam.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-06-05 at 08:05 PM.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
raidyr
Corporal

Having no details as to how exactly the beam works, only that it does seem to be a beam-style system, I much prefer it to the drop and forget "teamwork" instilled box throwing that is Battlefield.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by raidyr View Post
Having no details as to how exactly the beam works, only that it does seem to be a beam-style system, I much prefer it to the drop and forget "teamwork" instilled box throwing that is Battlefield.
PSide had a med applicator: 10hps, 0m range, it worked fine.

0m range as in you had to inject healing, not beam it.

Old 2012-06-05, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Badjuju
First Sergeant

I think some of you are confused with the poster's concern. He isn't comparing the healing beam to med packs like BF3 where, he is comparing them to the medical applicator in PS1. In PS1 you both had to be standing still and right up next too each other while the applicator slowly healed the injured person. I haven't seen a speed up version of this but it appears that PS2 may have a similar system but with more range and maybe the possibility of movement. The concern that it may bee too easy to heal now as before you had to get to the hurt person and get them healed up out of combat. Well have to wait till we actually play the beta though to really speculate on these types of things IMO.
Old 2012-06-05, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
The Kush
Captain

They looked awesome lol you guys try to put down everything I swear
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion