Stop SOPA From Becoming Law - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Yes...We stole your money...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-12-16, 04:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: Stop SOPA From Becoming Law

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Seriously guys, whats the hasssle?

For the off chance of this bill passing through, servers will just be moved to somewhere else. Quite a few ISPs and hosters in Canada and Mexico are watching this very closley. If this passes, they will upgrade their stuff as quickly as possible, giving everyone the choice to just host stuff there.
Google will move their stuff elsewhere as well. And if nessesary, relocate their entire business. Only a few morons not understanding whats going on will get in trouble, the actual crowd will just laugh, move their stuff, and laugh again.

It will just hit a good bunch of hosters based in the US. They will go down, and thats it.
Wait.. I hope you are joking here.

If you aren't then this is quite easily the worst post you have ever made on this forum.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-12-16, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Vash02
Major

Sounds like a bully law to me. Probably wont be used much, only against people they dont like.
Old 2011-12-16, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ailos View Post
I really hope the rest of the american political system will com through on this one even if Congress doesn't - the Supreme Court has upheld less obvious principles as freedom of speech. This particular bill totally doesn't do anything to solve the actual job, and although there's no proof that anyone is currently trying to censor anyone or anything, given the ability, it's only a matter of time before someone will try. So all in all, I've called my congressmen (both House and the two Texas senators) multiple times about this and written letters to all three - you've got my vote against this cause.

And on a side note, it's slightly amusing how much this bill reinvigorates the "Texas should secede" attitude around here, lol.

EDIT: Also, I really hope Obama finds the balls to veto this shit if it reaches his desk.
Funny you mention that. Obama has previously stated that he would veto it...but as of the other day he says he is for it. I was watching yesterday's stream and there were a multitude of amendments that were voted on to change the law to be slightly less oppressive. All of them failed.

All I know is that if the government was upset at the FBI hackings earlier in the year, they haven't seen anything yet. The hacker community will surely start striking. Can't wait for the government to try and paint them all as "cyber-terrorists" though, and take them away with the NDDA once that passes too.
Old 2011-12-16, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
this will destory the American web based economy.
That. Is. Their. Goal.

It truly is.

Old 2011-12-16, 07:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

(sorry, i didnt read the thread. just rambling here)

As an independent musician, its really frustrating. This bill is supposed to help the entertainment industry, but they want to take use this bill to take down the sites that promote my music.

I watched some of the debate yesterday, and it was a mad house. Its also frustrating when the people writing the bill have no idea what their talking about. I'm getting screwed over as both a producer and a consumer.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I'm gonna be honest, If they pass this bill, anonymous will wage war on the government, and I'm 99% sure anonymous will win. And even if it does pass the outrage will be so enormous they'll have to repeal it, or they'd never be reelected. At least not by my vote.
Old 2011-12-17, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Gryphon's link is good news though we may yet see some sense talked into these people because listening to some of these guys talk about DNS made my head explode they haven't a clue.
Looks like they tried to pull a fast one, still in session on the 21st, http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/c...the_committee/

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2011-12-17, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Wait.. I hope you are joking here.

If you aren't then this is quite easily the worst post you have ever made on this forum.
Im actually not joking. Thing is, you guys are overreacting a lot right now. We had the same crap years ago in Germany when they attempted to ban FPS and whatever they called "Killer games" after we had some guys run amok in schools.
Guess what, nothing happend.
Same with SOPA. Nothing will happen.

Nothing wrong with writing/mailing/calling your local Congress guy. But going OMIGODJACKSHITTHEYAREDESTROYINGTHEINTERNET is just stupid.

America is not the center of the internet. The net is not based on countrys. No way a single country change the net.

Just, relax.

edit: A fast one? Are they that goddamn retarted?

Last edited by basti; 2011-12-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 2011-12-17, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

It wont happen I think, but if it does it wont do much. There is to big a voice for the internet. They may change it, but they wont stop it. People are cleaver, and they will break through it in the millions. And in the end they will do more harm than good.
Old 2011-12-17, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Hamma
PSU Admin

I am not overreacting basti read the bill. The internet is in fact my livelihood and this bill threatens not only PSU but my livelihood. Your description of hosting companies going out of business and people moving shit off shore threatens what is my livelihood.

I said it a few times so maybe you would understand.

A vast majority of the internets infrastructure exists in the United States, the internet was invented here.

Everyone needs to know about this, if you want to take the it won't happen attitude then it will in fact happen. Our congress is stupid enough to do it. Your attitude is the exact attitude of many Americans who just sit around paying no attention while our freedoms are pissed away day in and day out by our government.

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-12-17 at 10:11 AM.
Old 2011-12-17, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Ghryphen
PSU Code Monkey

It doesn't matter where in the world it's hosted if ISP's are forced to block access to domains and ip addresses. As well, what good is it for our economy to have Google and others pushed out of the country or have to fight legal battles because of one of their clients.

Twitter | Dragon Wolves
Old 2011-12-17, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hamma
PSU Admin

Well here is to hoping that it doesn't pass so we don't have to see the Internet torn apart at the seams.

Old 2011-12-17, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I am not overreacting basti read the bill. The internet is in fact my livelihood and this bill threatens not only PSU but my livelihood. Your description of hosting companies going out of business and people moving shit off shore threatens what is my livelihood.

I said it a few times so maybe you would understand.

A vast majority of the internets infrastructure exists in the United States, the internet was invented here.

Everyone needs to know about this, if you want to take the it won't happen attitude then it will in fact happen. Our congress is stupid enough to do it. Your attitude is the exact attitude of many Americans who just sit around paying no attention while our freedoms are pissed away day in and day out by our government.
Your a bit mistaken there Hamma. I advise you strongly to call your local congress guy and whoever else you could call. But the "OMIGOD" needs to stop.
Old 2011-12-17, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

From what I'm reading this is still in committee. If that's the case this is probably a long way from being put into law as it has to be passed by both houses and then its differences worked out then revoted on and then put to the President for signing.

If Wednesday is just a committee vote then this could be a long way off from being law.
Old 2011-12-17, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Your a bit mistaken there Hamma. I advise you strongly to call your local congress guy and whoever else you could call. But the "OMIGOD" needs to stop.
I bet you think no American citizens are being imprisoned without trial, lawyers, or a phone call.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Site News and Discussions