The Jackhammer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma owes me a nickel, I HAVE A RIGHT TO BE HERE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-16, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Madcow
Lieutenant Colonel

The Jackhammer

This isn't a complaint about the Jackhammer, but over the weekend I noticed quite a bit that as the kills were scrolling that the Jackhammer was responsible for tons of the NC kills. We all know that the Jackhammer is very nice, but sometimes a dozen kills (from different people) in a row would all be from the Jackhammer. I'm curious if this is the kind of thing that will get the dev's attention and end up nerfing the Jackhammer. I'm not for a nerf, but I get the feeling it might be the victim of it's own success. The dev's will be checking the stats and see so many kills with one weapon and the nerf bat might come swinging.
Old 2003-06-16, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
kerosene31
Staff Sergeant

People on the official boards are crying and screaming about it. Hopefully it does not get nerfed. It is a strong weapon from point blank range. However, you have to get in very close to use it. From that range, even our poor Lasher is almost as good.

I can deal with it most of the time. It is just in close in tower or CC fights where it really shines.
Old 2003-06-16, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
PR24
Major

nOObHammer
Old 2003-06-16, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

I agree with Kerosene. Its an awesome weapon in close quarters, but there's little reason to use it out in the field. Its not really effective after 30 feet or so. Even though I've killed people from farther out, it takes a lot of ammo.
Old 2003-06-16, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

It is a great weapon, they shouldn't change it. Decrease the CoF on mini chaingun and increase dmg/speed on lasher.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
PR24
Major

Originally posted by Jarlo
It is a great weapon, they shouldn't change it. Decrease the CoF on mini chaingun and increase dmg/speed on lasher.
And decrese the rate of fire on the JH. If you want to keep the JH that strong it has to get the ROF decreased. As of right now people can not turn around 180 degress w/o being killed first.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Tryndamere
Sergeant

The Jackhammer is fine. Shouldn't be nerfed.

The Lasher shouldn't be buffed though either. In mass close-combat, a couple guys with lashers pump those balls out and absolutely destroy people.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
powdahound
Contributor
PSU Staff
Code Hound

I always get OWNED by lashers. :\
Old 2003-06-16, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

Dude, the pulsar kills faster than lasher at close range.. sad but true.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Yogi
Master Sergeant

Originally posted by Jarlo
Bingo.

I'm now taking bets on whether this is going to happen in the near future. Odds are currently at 120-1.

[ Inquisition - Team Captain | Tribalwar PHP Guru | F*ck Duke ]
Old 2003-06-16, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
reaver101
Private

Weapons really shouldn't be nerfed at all. I feel that they should improve the other empires weapons. I mean really, they nerf the JackHammer then the minichaingun is to powerful. They nerf that then the lasher is the best. Unless the devs are very careful when nerfing then they could easily fall into this cycle and all of the weapons in the game will be doing like one point of damage and be firing one round a minute. That might be a little extreme but you get the idea. If this keeps up we will end up with a bunch of underpowered but very balanced weapons.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tenchiro
Private

I am sick of being killed by hammer users while defending a tower. It seems like everytime I round a corner and meet an NC I am dead before I can draw my own weapon. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't happen in like half a second.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Jarlo
Second Lieutenant

I'm sick of getting killed by pounders I cannot even get a line of site to. But instead of whining I get a decimator and sacrifice myself to get 1-2 shots on them.
Old 2003-06-16, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Duffman
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally posted by WritheNC
there's little reason to use it out in the field. Its not really effective after 30 feet or so.

wait isnt that waht the TR were saying about the DP max and yet it got nerfed so i feel one coming for the JH.
Old 2003-06-16, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Cyber
Corporal

I couldn't disagree more with the arguement that it should be 'left alone' and the other weapons 'buffed up' to the same level of killing power. It's an arguement that is used to defend the jackhammer over and over on the official forums. People simply don't want thier cheese killing noobcannon to be nerfed.

Well, I don't want there to be 3 cheese killing noobcannons, the speed at which this weapon frequently kills in close combat is quite simply not fun to fight against and really not that fun to use. I picked up a heavy assault cert (mainly to use the jackhammer) and the thing feels cheap everytime I pick one up and start using it. You don't even need to use the secondary mode (in fact most NC should stop using it, that mode sucks) you just need to pound away at them with your more damaging, fast firing, unchanging cone of fire primary mode. With that mode there is not another weapon besides another jackhammer that is going to stand up to you and very few people who will manage to live for more then 2 seconds.

The jackhammer kills infantry faster then an Anti-Infantry MAX. AI Maxes should be hands down the most powerful anti-infantry weapons in game because they are 100% dedicated to killing infantry. No hacking, no repair, no medical, just killing infantry. Yet the jackhammer easily outshines any of them in this catagory. A reinforced jackhammer user with surge is has 10x the surviablity of a MAX. With a jackhammer, surge, engineering, regeneration and audio amp I stayed alive in an NC base, solo, vs 6 other guys hunting me down. I'd pop out, slaughter several of them before they could even fire back and when I finally took damage from one I'd sneak off to a secluded area of the base, regenerate my health and listen for them on audio amp.

I ended up finnally having to leave the base, return to the nearby tower, cap it, and get new equiptment because a MAX finally showed up and I was out of AP rounds from killing him the first time.

Lower the Jackhammer to the level of the Lasher, possibly look at making minor tweaks from that point to the MCG. But I really hope SOE doesn't decide to make 2 more overpowered cheese cannons to compete with this one. It's simply not a fun weapon to use or fight against imo.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion