The Weapon Sales Problem, and my opinion. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Spam! A well balenced meal for a troll
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-04, 04:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Punker
Corporal

Re: The Weapon Sales Problem, and my opinion.

hahaha!
Old 2013-05-04, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post

Quite interesting that you seem to have spent SC on weapons including those that sell for SC only (no certs) being the new revolvers including the black and gold ones! How can this be when you're so adamant about not buying SC? How did you put it...

and

plus interestingly, four days after you buy the gold revolver, you post this in this thread; http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...346#post914346 ...

This along with the other weapons in your arsenal that you probably bought as well; Crow, Phoenix, Annihilator, etc. Appears to be you're nothing but bitching for the sake of bitching, again.
You do know when you first use a weapon in the VR room it comes up there as being unlocked, not saying he didn't buy those just saying the most likely scenario is he tested them out on the firing range.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2013-05-04, 05:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
GraniteRok
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
You do know when you first use a weapon in the VR room it comes up there as being unlocked, not saying he didn't buy those just saying the most likely scenario is he tested them out on the firing range.
I did not know that. I apologize p0intman for false pretense picture part. However, still bitching for the sake of bitching as I see it.
Old 2013-05-04, 05:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ringring
Contributor
General

I look at this from two angles.

Firstly I expected this. It goes with the territory of FTP.
However, I think SOE are going at it too hard. Too many guns released too often. It feels like they're trying to milk their customers.

They are selling power and not just cosmetics and boosts and I know this is mitigated because everything can be bought with certs but it is leaving a 'taste' in my mouth.

My advice is to cool it for a little while.
Old 2013-05-04, 05:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

The problem I have with the nerfing/buffing and release of new weapons is only one: costs.
If weapons would be cheaper I would spend more SC on it. But currently I am on hold and only buy SC on tripple sale and weapons when they are on store sale. 10 bucks for a single gun is just too much for a game aiming at having hundreds. And then we haven't even talked about cosmetics (which I think where a f2ps main income should be, but that's my opinion).

I would happily buy more weapons, if I wouldn't know that there are coming more versatile (or maybe even better) weapons down the road. I have also bought plenty of weapons which are now more or less obsolete or turned out not to be as good as one might have thought and are just sitting there never being used.

If weapons would be cheaper I think it would also be less of a problem (especially) when they are nerfed. For a gun I only payed one or two bucks I don't care if it's not as great as when I bough it (as long as it's not nerfed into the ground). But when you payed 10 bucks for it? A fifth of the price of a full game? Completely different matter.

And to go a bit off-topic: For me that's less of an issue (although I still consider it to be one). But for a new user who doesn't know about double or tripple sc sales? I can completely understand when they turn away when looking at the store. I know we all love sc sales but I would even go out and say I would prefer soe to cut tripple sc sales and have less double sc sales. And in return lower all sc prices in the store.

And on a closing note: we need more loadout slots if you want to sell us more stuff. And please don't sell those. That would be a dickish move.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-05-04 at 05:47 AM.
Old 2013-05-04, 05:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
The problem I have with the nerfing/buffing and release of new weapons is only one: costs.
If weapons would be cheaper I would spend more SC on it. But currently I am on hold and only buy SC on tripple sale and weapons when they are on store sale. 10 bucks for a single gun is just too much for a game aiming at having hundreds. And then we haven't even talked about cosmetics (which I think where a f2ps main income should be, but that's my opinion).

I would happily buy more weapons, if I wouldn't know that there are coming more versatile (or maybe even better) weapons down the road. I have also bought plenty of weapons which are now more or less obsolete or turned out not to be as good as one might have thought (AP).

If weapons would be cheaper I think it would also be less of a problem (especially) when they are nerfed. For a gun I only payed one or two bucks I don't care if it's not as great as when I bough it (as long as it's not nerfed into the ground). But when you payed 10 bucks for it? A fifth of the price of a full game? Completely different matter.

And to go a bit off-topic: For me that's less of an issue (although I still consider it to be one). But for a new user who doesn't know about double or tripple sc sales? I can completely understand when they turn away when looking at the store. I know we all love sc sales but I would even go out and say I would prefer soe to cut tripple sc sales and have less double sc sales. And in return lower all sc prices in the store.
can't but agree with that

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Old 2013-05-04, 06:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by GraniteRok View Post

Quite interesting that you seem to have spent SC on weapons including those that sell for SC only (no certs) being the new revolvers including the black and gold ones! How can this be when you're so adamant about not buying SC? How did you put it...

and

plus interestingly, four days after you buy the gold revolver, you post this in this thread; http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...346#post914346 ...

This along with the other weapons in your arsenal that you probably bought as well; Crow, Phoenix, Annihilator, etc. Appears to be you're nothing but bitching for the sake of bitching, again.
last weapon i bought was the phoenix. what the fuck. I tested them in VR, but I didn't buy them.
edit: logged in and checked

Edit: Thanks for the idea (and confirmation of said idea working) to troll some of you via testing crap out in the VR.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.

Last edited by p0intman; 2013-05-04 at 06:36 AM.
Old 2013-05-04, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
last weapon i bought was the phoenix. what the fuck. I tested them in VR, but I didn't buy them. If my account actually has them for live play, I have other bigger concerns.
it would be nice hehe, though all it means is it's unlocked and added to your stats page not live play. I think just as if you'd trialed it.

Old 2013-05-04, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rolfski
Major

If SOE would intentionally release new weapons overpowered, only to nerf them after launch, they would screw up their own business model which is heavily based on customer loyalty and retention purchases.

It's the player base continuity that keeps their offices running. Last thing they want is for the 5% that pays for this game to become disgruntled and turn their back on them.
So no, this is definitely not intentional. Of course you have always haters like OP that gonna hate and who fail to see otherwise.
Old 2013-05-04, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
AThreatToYou
Major

Well, this is an F2P game. I'm not going to buy anything "new" in it because I know this is going to happen.
Old 2013-05-05, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
leifnielsen
Corporal

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
Things I have done with expendable income instead of paying SOE as it specifically pertains to competing game developers, since launch of PS2:
- Bought the Collectors Edition for EVE's Second Decade anniversary ($150)
- Backed Star Citizen ($65)
- pre-ordered Watch Dogs for the PC ($60~)
- pre-ordered Grid 2 ($60)
- bought farcry 3 ($50)
- bought assassin's creed 3 ($50)

In summary, I don't like how PS2 is being developed, so I've been giving money to competition instead of SOE because their competition actually makes stuff that is worthwhile. Unlike buying weapons from SOE, I don't feel that any of the above is liable to make me feel scammed in the future or like it was a waste. For the cash above, you could buy a ton of stuff in PS2 and be relatively set for quite a while, and that really is the entire point of having listed it: For whatever it could buy in ps2, it was better spent elsewhere.
Are you freaking kidding me?! This is such a joke. I know (and so do you but you don't want to admit it because it would invalidate your point) that even if Planetside 2 was the shit and you loved everything about it, you would still pre-order Watch Dogs and Grid 2, you would still buy Farcry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, EVE...really the only thing you MIGHT not have done is backed a Kickstarter with $65.

Why? Because obviously you're a gamer, and all gamers know that you DO NOT pull funds from other games you're itching to play. Instead, You eat less, you skimp on gas, you turn down friends that want to go to the bar or out to restaurants, you use the credit card more, you hold off on paying your bills on time... You do whatever you have to do to pay for the games you're looking forward to.

Saying that your money either has to go to PS2 OR those other games is retarded.

How much cash are the most expensive weapons in the game? $7.00?

The cost for all the games you've listed comes out to $435.

As of March 9th, the cost to buy every weapon for a single faction was $327. So even if you DID buy every weapon, unless you're talking about cosmetics as well...You'd still have $108 leftover that you wouldn't be putting into Planetside.

But you don't need to buy every weapon. You choose a carbine you like, you buy that. You choose a rocket launcher you like, you buy that...it serves you well until SOE releases a new rocket launcher that's a little bit better, you buy that. This is all small change compared to the $435 you claim you'd be throwing in to Planetside if they fixed these "issues".

Think of it like this...You buy the gun that you think is the best. It gives you an advantage over the other players that have not bought the new gun. It serves you well for awhile, meaning you get your money's worth out of it. Later on, they release a NEW gun that's better than the one you bought. Now, you can decide whether you want to hold off and buy it later with certs and be at a slight disadvantage for awhile, or you can buy it with cash right away and remain on top with the advantage. Either way, you still got your money's worth out of the first gun. The only time this wouldn't be acceptable is if SOE released a better gun, reaped the rewards, and then IMMEDIATELY released an even better gun.

This is the business model for Planetside 2. It works fine. Weapons are just going to become somewhat weaker over time as new weapons are released.
Old 2013-05-05, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
If SOE would intentionally release new weapons overpowered, only to nerf them after launch, they would screw up their own business model which is heavily based on customer loyalty and retention purchases.

It's the player base continuity that keeps their offices running. Last thing they want is for the 5% that pays for this game to become disgruntled and turn their back on them.
So no, this is definitely not intentional. Of course you have always haters like OP that gonna hate and who fail to see otherwise.
Well this is what they've done so I suppose your contention is that they've done this accidentally.

But you don't need to assume bad faith to realise weapons are going to get nerfed. Examine the process; a gun is produced, it is tested internally and on PST and released. However it is only after a few weeks of constant use that the mass player-base becomes used to it and also that the devs have stats and can observe playstyle changes.

It's inevitable that weapons will be adjusted based on how they actually work out in-game and that may possibly be a buff, but then a buff for one weapon corresponds to a nerf elsewhere.
Old 2013-05-05, 08:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
It's inevitable that weapons will be adjusted based on how they actually work out in-game and that may possibly be a buff, but then a buff for one weapon corresponds to a nerf elsewhere.
Of course most weapons get a balance pass sooner or later but that's a whole lot different vs intentionally releasing them overpowered.
Old 2013-05-05, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Of course most weapons get a balance pass sooner or later but that's a whole lot different vs intentionally releasing them overpowered.
That's kind of what we are trying to say. I haven't seen the NS pistols get nerfbat yet.
Old 2013-05-05, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I do find everything in the store to be too steep for my gaming budget. Only way I would buy stuff is if I have triple SC money and the item itself is on sale, then the prices becomes more acceptable. I would not pay more than 1-2$ for one item, ever. I'd rather get some cool game for the price of one of those new cool helmets in steam instead, most of the items are too similar in appearance too so I dont even have any temptation to buy items, the new helmets I would be willing to buy but not at the current price. For now I'm just sitting on my stack of 17670 SC.

Though weapon balance I dont have an issue with, I know it can be hard to balance a new gun immediately after release and it's easier to make stuff too good than bad. I'm bit miffed by the fracture guns on TR maxes though, I feel they're awesomely powerful and I keep getting blown to bits in a second by them. I just knew they're gonna be used against infantry before release.

Last edited by Vashyo; 2013-05-05 at 09:20 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion