Is Rotary/Turbolaser too good against infantry? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's magically delicious!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-06, 03:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
phungus
Master Sergeant

Is Rotary/Turbolaser too good against infantry?

Granted it took hundreds of hours getting comfortable enough to shoot infantry beyond 25m or so with the rotaries but now that I do I don't even bother with rocket pods. The rotaries take care of lone wolf tanks well enough - not as efficient as rocket pods for sure, but is certainly effective (working with another A2A reaver we were even able to take out sunderer's provided they didn't have more then 2 people trying to protect them). Against infantry though it almost seems absurd. If I had to guess TTK on infantry with the rotary, I'd peg it at 0.24 seconds or so, pretty much an instagib.

Does this seem reasonable to everyone? I'm fine with it, I love the fact i can load A2Am and not sacrifice my ability to to take out pesky infantry who are a legitimate threat to me. In my opinion A2Am really helps in Air to Air combat despite what people say and despite the fact they are broken. It does feel like too good of an all around weapon though, honestly it's better at killing infantry then the default gun.

Last edited by phungus; 2013-05-06 at 04:19 AM.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sifer2
Major

Re: Is Rotary/Turbolaser too good against infantry?

If your flying low enough to be accurate with it against Infantry your low enough to get horribly murdered by AA so I don't think its an issue. ESF's have always been good at picking on lone wolf Infantry at some random outpost though.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
phungus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
If your flying low enough to be accurate with it against Infantry your low enough to get horribly murdered by AA so I don't think its an issue. ESF's have always been good at picking on lone wolf Infantry at some random outpost though.
I find I'm more likely to get killed by tanks and dumbfire rockets when killing infantry with the rotary. But they get you infrequently enough it's well worth taking the risk to close at that range and hover for the fraction of a second it takes to gib infantry with the rotary. The TTK is really low, that's what really surprises me, I guess it makes sense though given the rof of the rotaries.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Snoopy
Sergeant

I agree with the above in that if you're close enough to be in effective range of the hailstorm/rotary, you're generally in a vulnerable place for AA or some body wielding a dumb fire rocket to take advantage of you in return.

I personally wish more ESF pilots would learn to actually dogfight, and stop harassing infantry on the ground all day long with lolpods. That way, when I sneak up behind them and unload a clip into them... they mightn't just fly straight into the ground.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

What AA? Handheld lock on that takes 5 seconds to lock on and when it finally does is negated by a single flare creating a safety marging that is more than ten times the length of the TTK you have on the infantry?

AA MAXes? You think those survive long now with all the AV and ESF gun upgrades?

I've had situations where a Banshee would kill me as soon as I popped through a door and before being able to fire even a dumbfire missile or aim at the aircraft.

It's very questionable if this is fair and fun at the very least.
Old 2013-05-06, 04:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sifer2
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
What AA? Handheld lock on that takes 5 seconds to lock on and when it finally does is negated by a single flare creating a safety marging that is more than ten times the length of the TTK you have on the infantry?

AA MAXes? You think those survive long now with all the AV and ESF gun upgrades?

I've had situations where a Banshee would kill me as soon as I popped through a door and before being able to fire even a dumbfire missile or aim at the aircraft.

It's very questionable if this is fair and fun at the very least.

I dunno man in my experience I still die almost instantly to dual burster MAX's. I think it really depends on where you go. If you go to any big battle, and try to swoop down an kill Infantry with Rotaries your not going to survive in my experience. Some mostly abandoned outpost with no AA present? Sure. Also isn't the Banshee designed to kill Infantry?
Old 2013-05-06, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Figment
Lieutenant General

I dunno man in my experience I still die almost instantly to dual burster MAX's. I think it really depends on where you go. If you go to any big battle, and try to swoop down an kill Infantry with Rotaries your not going to survive in my experience. Some mostly abandoned outpost with no AA present? Sure. Also isn't the Banshee designed to kill Infantry?
Yeah and it got buffed for no other reason than being better than the things mentioned by the OP, after all, it's supposed to be better than the AV version.

But AA MAXes aren't always available and it takes many seconds to kill air. Many more than its target needs to get kills and get away, ESPECIALLY when flying low (good pilots make use of buildings as cover and lock breakers).

I don't mind flares, I do mind extremely long lock on timers, having to to reload non-scoped and not being able to reacquire a lock after a flare has popped for several extra seconds that make no sense. After a flare is popped, targets should be immediately open to new locks.

PS: what feels like instant death by AA to you is about 40 times longer than what air does to infantry. IMO - since air is so fast to weave in and out of areas - AA is the only short TTK that should be allowed.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-06 at 05:03 AM.
Old 2013-05-06, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Snoopy
Sergeant

Dual burster MAX should hit ESFs hard and do lots of damage. If they don't get the kill, they should damn well be a deterrent.
Old 2013-05-06, 06:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

It's just the same issue with ESFs people have been complaining about the whole time: ESFs being too good at everything without the need to sacrifice something.
I doubt this is every going to change. They are "broken" by design.

Lately ESF pilots have become more risky from my experience. Decided to switch to my AP lightning again for AA. Way more effective then the skyguard (which is pretty much crap anyways) as all air seems to be flying low these days. One shot one kill, not tickle damage while the ESF finishes his swoop and flies off to repair and be back in a minute for another kill.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2013-05-06 at 06:35 AM.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Assist
Contributor
Major

Yeah and it got buffed for no other reason than being better than the things mentioned by the OP, after all, it's supposed to be better than the AV version.

But AA MAXes aren't always available and it takes many seconds to kill air. Many more than its target needs to get kills and get away, ESPECIALLY when flying low (good pilots make use of buildings as cover and lock breakers).

I don't mind flares, I do mind extremely long lock on timers, having to to reload non-scoped and not being able to reacquire a lock after a flare has popped for several extra seconds that make no sense. After a flare is popped, targets should be immediately open to new locks.

PS: what feels like instant death by AA to you is about 40 times longer than what air does to infantry. IMO - since air is so fast to weave in and out of areas - AA is the only short TTK that should be allowed.
You're ignoring that if they're low enough to kill infantry they're low enough for an AV turret, dumbfire missile, or tank to also hit the ESF. Killing infantry *requires* you to be low, so they draw on your screen, and I personally find that I die far more often to the random heavy dumbfire, tank gun, or other ESF when I try to kill infantry. Killing infantry = sitting duck, you're not weaving in and out if you're killing infantry in an ESF, the game doesn't render infantry fast enough to make that possible.

IMO the balance of rotary's against infantry is perfectly fine. It requires time and skill to aim at a player on the ground as an ESF, this is not the same thing as killing a vehicle on the ground. I guess you could say TR have the short end of the stick in this situation, because a low flying ESF is done for against the Lancer or Pheonix. The Decimator seems to find me more often than any other dumbfire when I'm in my ESF. That said, the Striker is the best area vehicle denial weapon in the game, behind the Bursters.
Old 2013-05-06, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
It's just the same issue with ESFs people have been complaining about the whole time: ESFs being too good at everything without the need to sacrifice something.
They sacrifice armor. Do you understand the difference of the amount of flak that a liberator can receive versus an ESF?
Haha on what Auraxis do you live on? The banshee is shit for every thing in the game outside of killing infantry. I was nerfed (max mag size it 10 rounds lower), what GU are you claiming that it was buffed?
Old 2013-05-06, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
You're ignoring that if they're low enough to kill infantry they're low enough for an AV turret, dumbfire missile, or tank to also hit the ESF.
That's bullshit.

Don't come in here proclaiming it is easy to hit air with slow speed, high gravity effect dumbfire AV on any aircraft flying remotely low. Even a Phoenix can't lead that well. Unless you're a crap pilot and hover for a long time in place without even making minor adjustments to height and don't strafe in random directions at all.

Come on. Even I haven't been hit by AV dumbfire yet and I'm considering myself a horrible pilot.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-06 at 08:02 AM.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Snydenthur
Master Sergeant

I think there should be some changes to everything. At the moment there is no reason to run without the better automatic weapon and rocket pods for esf. Except for fun.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ThatGoatGuy
First Sergeant

That's bullshit.

Don't come in here proclaiming it is easy to hit air with slow speed, high gravity effect dumbfire AV on any aircraft flying remotely low. Even a Phoenix can't lead that well. Unless you're a crap pilot and hover for a long time in place without even making minor adjustments to height and don't strafe in random directions at all.

Come on. Even I haven't been hit by AV dumbfire yet and I'm considering myself a horrible pilot.
Seeing that since you are a horrible pilot, you obviously aren't in the air often. Not being in the air that often means that you don't have the possibility of getting dumbfired.
Old 2013-05-06, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by ThatGoatGuy View Post
Seeing that since you are a horrible pilot, you obviously aren't in the air often. Not being in the air that often means that you don't have the possibility of getting dumbfired.
Maybe you need a better definition of bad pilot instead of relying on arbitrary assumptions derived from statements that do not imply that at all. Bad pilot does not mean never flies.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-05-06 at 08:37 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion