So - It's been a year this month - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Congratulations, you can read.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2004-05-02, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Hamma
PSU Admin

Question So - It's been a year this month

So this month is a year of PlanetSide. How do you feel about the game now? How do you feel about where it's going and where it's been? Are you new to the game, or have you been around since the beginning?

Additionally, how do you feel about PlanetSide Universe? Do you like what we have been doing? What would you like to see? A lot has changed at this site in a year, and we'd love to hear your input!

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Strygun; 2004-05-02 at 08:35 PM.
Old 2004-05-02, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JakeLogan
Major

Old 2004-05-02, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
keaoi
Master Sergeant

Id would probably still be playing if a non-buggy version of CC wasing coming out now, instead of when it did.

That said, I do come back for a month every once in a while, the massive battles just cant be beat by any current FPS. I will always have a soft spot for this game.

Last edited by keaoi; 2004-05-02 at 06:03 PM.
Old 2004-05-02, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Piuslxix
Private

I've always been wanting a squad-based FPS like this. All I have to say is: I wish I could play more
Old 2004-05-02, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Setari
General

this game is great. i think it's one of the better games ive played. Maybe if i can scrounge up enough money ill get a gamecard and then reinstall and play some.
Old 2004-05-02, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
I Hate Pants
General

Planetside is great! Only problem is it lacks getting its name out there. Im sure there are alot more people who would love this game. But alot of people still don't know about it.
Old 2004-05-02, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kaymon
Master Sergeant

13 months for me, actually, and it keeps getting better. PSU gives the community that extra touch with the devs, and a 'second opinion' (where the OF is the first).

As for what I'd like to see? More polls. Polls = feedback. Feedback = good!
Old 2004-05-02, 06:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

What I don't get is how I have been jackhammering people for a year and am still not bored of it...
Old 2004-05-02, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
EarlyDawn
Major General

Yep, wish I could play more.

I just want more depth. More realism (as realistic as possible under the storyline). Customizable backpacks. Engineer constructable fortifications. Outfit Base Ownership. Outfit Flagships. Beyond Battle Rank 20.

What I DON'T want to see is the brutally obvious suit tinkering that's been going on. I mean, seriously. Competitive play has it's place in MMOs, but I would venture to guess more then 80% of the player population would rather see better and more involved gameplay mechanics that effect the war, or deeper character development. I share Marsman's sentiment that Core Combat was not something the devs wanted to do, at least, not at that stage in the game or the expansion concept's development. They just wanted something on the shelves for the big market times. More shelf space and publicity is a good thing, but I stand by my opinion that better gameplay will bring people when coupled with good marketting campaign, not more products to buy.

And that's another thing. Marketting. It's time for SOE to show that they think that Everquest isn't the only profitable premium game they provide. We need marketing. We need more players. Is it not just I who sees the irony? More marketing means a larger income for SOE. A larger income means more money to put back into the game, improving it. More improvements means better word of mouth reputation, which once again means more players and MORE PROFIT. You make more. The game gets better. The community realizes you care. I fail to see how *anyone* loses there.

Basically.. More content, more depth, more marketting.

Last edited by EarlyDawn; 2004-05-02 at 06:33 PM.
Old 2004-05-02, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I cant believe its been a year. it seems like only yesterday I was lagging my ass off in beta with a 2-year old dell.
Old 2004-05-02, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

When I first played Planetside there are two things I remember most.

The first was people broadcasting their certs in the sanctuary as people formed squads based on each individual's limited certs. The sound of gals roaring about as people got together to go out onto the continents of Auraxis and fight the war for their empire.

I also remember then dropping onto base to see no-one while capping it, fly to another base and see the base you just wasted 15 minutes of your life capping being rehacked. Of course this was before lattace links

I think the hard part is behind the dev team, the bug list is getting shorter and shorter and the imbalances between the empires are slowly but surely being worked out. It's hard to think that at one point, probably during beta, that you'd CTD just because you had heard someone dying.

I'm not saying it's going to be plain sailing from here on out, but I think these new vehicle variants are the tip of a content iceberg. I've heard people say that even EverQuest took a year or so to get into stride, and look at what it has become. A new concept such as Planetside may not be so different (although to be honest I don't think Planetside will ever reach as many subscribers as EQ, but we don't need that many players anyway ).

My hat goes off to SmokeJumper and Sporkfire. I still remember being huddled in the launchpad chatroom during beta and listening to SmokeJumper explaining why he calls himself SmokeJumper and explaining bug fixes and balance issues. While Sporkfire has done a great job at informing people of the dev team's intentions and I assume doing a good job at sorting through the flood of good and bad ideas on the forums and presenting them to the dev team. I also hear he helps Coca Cola's profit from Diet Coke, but I'm unable to confirm this

I'm new to PSU so I can't say how it's improved, but when I first visited PSU (to get my hands on Ask the Devs 5 I think) I have to say I was very impressed by the variety of services it offered and the quality of the graphics and design of the website. My thanks to you Hamma, Marsman and the members of the PSU staff who make PSU what it is (and of course to the rest of you guys for not telling me to shove off back to the official forums ).

While other games have come close, whether through the addition of vehicles, game types, support roles, communication, advanced AI or atmosphere, Planetside is still the only game that makes you feel like you are in the middle of a war as opposed to skirmishing inside an enclosed box.
Old 2004-05-02, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Players and command seems to be growing too, I remember when NC could start hacking forseral during primetime and get all the way to caer before TR would show up in any number. Now its more like you can put a hack on any base or drop any gen and expect a response in no time flat.

On emerald at least, each empire's cr5's seem to be stepping it up. There are more tactical moves that are based off the global lattice and many times the game is more than an fps, its trying to lure the other two empires zergs into a stalemate while you backhack/ reclaim lost territory.

During most of primetime I can go to any nc home cont, or at least those in the A.S.S. group and find 25+ nc watching for lone hacks and the like.
Old 2004-05-02, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
JetRaiden
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yea, unless there is a massive battle somewhere else (pop locked, with people waiting to get in) the opposing empire will respond after 1 1/2 base caps. before you can almost lock a continent before getting 25+ defenders.
Old 2004-05-02, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
NuclearSiege
Corporal

it was the best game i ever played, but something happened and it got very repedative. It was hader to kill people the reaver never responded to how i wanted to fly it...it pissed me off. I played in beta and... it is ok.
Old 2004-05-02, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

PSU is absolutely bad ass. One of the best places on the net. However, Planetside is the biggest letdown in recent gaming history. A shitty few people made a shitty set of decisions, and the game hasn't ever recovered. Planetside is as horrible as ever, but I'm definately waiting for Planetside 2 (The Dave G free version).

He asked for opinions, so if you don't like mine, shove it up your ass.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion