Kill Streaks - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hrmm.. I dont think Hamma likes RPGs very much..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-10, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Snowfake
Private

Kill Streaks

Just watched this video and the guy mentions how players will have feed back in the form of killing spree popping up.

Its no real big deal really but iv always associated such things as HEAD SHOT! and RAMPAGE! popping up on my screen from games I class as arcade FPS's.

For me Planetside has always been a thinking mans shooter and the fact that they want to include such things in the game make me think its going to be aimed towards the masses and therefore the game will be dumbed down.

Thoughts?
Old 2011-07-10, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Kill Streaks

I'm hoping it's either an XP bonus or a little pin ala Battlefield I think it is? As long as it doesn't cover half my screen and doesn't give abilities ala COD I don't care.

The average PS player doesn't get kill streaks.
Old 2011-07-10, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

The insta-win AC-130 and Chopper gunner killstreaks in CoD were some of the worst ideas ever, it's a rich get richer, poor get poorer gameplay gambit and rewards camping and using unfair tactics.

Seriously, killstreaks = bad. Oh I see you are dominating n00bs, now get a chopper to dominate them even more! muahaha!
Old 2011-07-10, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

I dont want killstreaks at all, as they just add up to the "I DONT WANT TO DIE" crap. Often enough you will end up in a stalemate that you can only break out of by pushing hard. But people dont do that if they then loose their kill streaks.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rarntogo
Corporal

I absolutely agree with everything said so far. Kill streaks etc... only add selfishness to the game and one of the things I love most about PS is the unselfishness the game is built around. Team based tactics at the forefront. Sure... a single player can just do his own thing and thats fine. No problem with that. I just dont want to see 30 people outside a tower afraid to go in and take it because they are afraid to die. This would bring much sadness to me. If I wanted to play that way I would play one of the other billion FPS games out there. Planetside is different. I hope it always stays that way.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
I absolutely agree with everything said so far. Kill streaks etc... only add selfishness to the game and one of the things I love most about PS is the unselfishness the game is built around. Team based tactics at the forefront. Sure... a single player can just do his own thing and thats fine. No problem with that. I just dont want to see 30 people outside a tower afraid to go in and take it because they are afraid to die. This would bring much sadness to me. If I wanted to play that way I would play one of the other billion FPS games out there. Planetside is different. I hope it always stays that way.
People already play selfishly. Those who do will continue to do so, and this just gives them a nice pat on the back. Those who are team players won't be convinced to killwhore just for a pat on the back.

Killwhores gonna killwhore, supportwhores gonna supportwhore.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I think you are again seeing a problem when there is none.
Old 2011-07-10, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Gwartham
Corporal

No they must buy the rights to sounds from unreal tournament, that's exactly what Pside2 needs!!!!
Old 2011-07-10, 06:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Gwartham View Post
No they must buy the rights to sounds from unreal tournament, that's exactly what Pside2 needs!!!!
Sexy Announcer (climaxing): Monster Kill!
Old 2011-07-10, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
LordReaver
First Sergeant

Being rewarded for kill streaks promotes tactics. It doesn't really matter what the rewards are. People play smarter so they can get a better ratio. What you guys really want, is the gameplay to not slow down, which kill streaks do. They already said the gameplay will be faster moment to moment, so I don't think this is something that can really be criticized until we see more of the game.

I wouldn't worry about rewards that net more kills. SOE might make bad decisions sometimes, but they are not that stupid.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Being rewarded for maintaining a K/D is the number one way to force people to exploit glitches, camp, use the most horrible tactics and generally create a bad play environment. Not only that but it's a stupid 'rich get richer' promotion, good players get even better and the bad players are put at a huge disadvantage, just look at modern warfare 2 and how many people camp with nothing but explosives and how the kills can suddenly become hugely inbalanced by one lucky killstreak and the hordes of people that disconnect due to an AC-130.

Killstreaks are the No:1 way to alienate the new and less skilled.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
Being rewarded for maintaining a K/D is the number one way to force people to exploit glitches, camp, use the most horrible tactics and generally create a bad play environment. Not only that but it's a stupid 'rich get richer' promotion, good players get even better and the bad players are put at a huge disadvantage, just look at modern warfare 2 and how many people camp with nothing but explosives and how the kills can suddenly become hugely inbalanced by one lucky killstreak and the hordes of people that disconnect due to an AC-130.

Killstreaks are the No:1 way to alienate the new and less skilled.
You are rewarded for maintaining a good k/d. You spend less time dead and more time getting more kills. And planetside players are already lame.

Not sure what killstreaks have to do with the rich get richer... so what some dude gets more xp for getting more kills, you should be rewarded for playing well.

Last edited by Bags; 2011-07-10 at 07:13 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I really doubt we'd get COD-style killstreaks.

Think BC2, instead. You get some more points..not even that many. Yeah K/D whore snipers are present...but they've been around since the original game, which lacked the point system. People camp because no one likes to die, regardless of extra rewards.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-07-10 at 07:16 PM.
Old 2011-07-10, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
2coolforu
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You are rewarded for maintaining a good k/d. You spend less time dead and more time getting more kills. And planetside players are already lame.

Not sure what killstreaks have to do with the rich get richer... so what some dude gets more xp for getting more kills, you should be rewarded for playing well.
I'm OK with killstreaks giving a small xp bonus that pops up on your screen, I'm not OK with UAV's and Airstrikes being given out as rewards which is a 'modern FPS style' of Killstreak reward
Old 2011-07-10, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by 2coolforu View Post
I'm OK with killstreaks giving a small xp bonus that pops up on your screen, I'm not OK with UAV's and Airstrikes being given out as rewards which is a 'modern FPS style' of Killstreak reward
I'd frankly be shocked if they did this. We already have OS.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion